Latest Post

12 hours ago by PBlais

Sweet 50 with marco rings

view post

a day at the gardens...

Newer Topic | Older Topic

a day at the gardens... posted by CMH March 27, 2008 01:34AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

stressful days call for emergence in nature. yesterday's 70 degree temperatures found me at the local botanic gardens for the first time this year.
mission accomplished.
that being said, i admit to being a lazy photographer and usually shooting on auto. with a recently acquired canon 40D i thought it time to stretch a bit and finally start using the capabilities of the camera. (i'm self-taught, so baby steps) playing with small things like ISO can make such a difference! i love the almost 3D effect achieved with the LBO on a lot of the shots i took. the first two with ISO 1600; the last with ISO 800. o, and these are all sooc - no post processing.
baby steps. :D

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by RichB March 27, 2008 03:54AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Cindi,

I agree -- anything to reduce stress! All are nice, but I really like the softness of the white and yellow of #1. ISO 1600 seems to have been key here -- was it a rather dark or subdued setting light wise? Sometimes I find grainyness with high ISO, but this is certainly not obvious in your image. Nice work!

Rich
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by essablue March 27, 2008 03:56AM reply | quote
posted by essablue

These look great Cindi! The "3d" effect on #2 is amazing, great shots!

Kelly
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by tominboston March 27, 2008 04:02AM reply | quote
posted by tominboston

Well it's not 70 degrees here. I had some time out today and couldn't find much color at all. I like the second one a lot.

Tom
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by CMH March 27, 2008 09:23AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

thanks so much rich, kelly and tom! :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by TG-J (Admin) March 27, 2008 09:49AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

No. 2 is a gem. Tony.
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by chichichar March 27, 2008 11:23AM reply | quote
posted by chichichar

#2 catches my eyes :) The red bring the picture alive.

...grainyness with high ISO...
I rather the image grainyness than missing any shot :)
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by rjcolby March 27, 2008 03:05PM reply | quote
posted by rjcolby

I do like #2 also, but #1 is close.

I am wondering what a 37mm circular polarizer would be able to do in this setting. Dumb thing is I have a cheap one, and was in our gardens tropical house last weekend. Never thought to use it till looking at some images later.

Dick
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by jean-luc March 27, 2008 04:44PM reply | quote
posted by jean-luc

Very nice images! There is a lot of 3D effect in the images indeed.
Do you think that the Original LB gives more 3D than the other LB's?

Jean-Luc

[www.pbase.com]
Re: a day at the gardens... posted by CMH March 27, 2008 10:08PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

thanks tony, chichichar, dick and jean-luc. :)
i was actually surprised at how sharp these turned out at the higher iso - and to answer
*rich (from earlier) - yes, it was a little dark as these flowers and plants were actually inside; which is why i chose to experiment with the iso.
*dick - i used to shoot with a cpl all the time, but haven't used it much lately. i'm finding i like controlling light with the aperture disks and iso's. but the cpl does come in handy at times and does give a different effect! :)
*jean-luc - it may be all in my head, but i really do think the LBO renders a more painterly, artistic, sometimes 3D result. for the type of shooting i do, it's perfect; i'm in love with it... :)
thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback!

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today