Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

16 hours ago by Niefol

Early effort with new toy

view post

Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB December 04, 2007 12:08PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

It seems to me that the basic idea behind creative apertures is to capture out-of-focus specular points of light in appropriate and fun shapes. I have found that one's mind must constantly search for such specular points of light or create these specular points from already existing things, manmade or natural. Indeed, a camera flash of light on falling snow could produce specular points of light well-suited to, say, a snowflake creative aperture ...
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by sam December 05, 2007 07:09AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Get your best stuff ready for the contest!

Sam

see with the eyes of a child
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by Chrono1081 December 06, 2007 03:14PM reply | quote
posted by Chrono1081
Omg these are really fantastic! Please post more :)
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB December 07, 2007 04:52AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks, Sam and Chrono1081 for your comments on the snowfall images.
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by CMH December 07, 2007 09:25AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

wow. these are just outstanding! you've already won in my mind. ;-) what a fabulous idea. i've been wondering how to best use those disks once the christmas lights are put to rest. thanks for sharing!
cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by cleofe December 07, 2007 05:43PM reply | quote
posted by cleofe
these photos are really beautiful!!!
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB December 08, 2007 01:39AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks cindi and cleofe, for you very kind words on the creative aperture snowfall images.
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by shamsa December 08, 2007 02:31AM reply | quote
posted by shamsa

Wonderful Photos : )

Best Regards,
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by scoobyz December 25, 2007 10:25AM reply | quote
posted by scoobyz
those are awesome pics. i am new to the lb.. i just got one for christmas. could you please give a brief description of how you were able to get those shots....what settings and techniques you used.
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB December 25, 2007 10:31AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Very simple. Pray for a snowy night. Snap the picture with your flash. I used ISO 400 setting. Enjoy your new LB that you got for Christmas -- I look forward to seeing some of your work on the forum!
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by donkeytiara December 26, 2007 03:14AM reply | quote
posted by donkeytiara

i'm brand spankin' new to lb....just cracked mine open this morning....so i'm a bit confused...the snowflakes in the pickers....are they caused by the disk you put in the lens for aperature reflected off light? Or is it something else?
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB December 26, 2007 04:15AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

These images used a snowflake shaped aperture. They were taken by a LB during a snowstorm outside with a FLASH. The flash of light reflected light off of the actual flakes of snow. Flakes that were out of focus then took on the shape of the aperture. The larger the flake image the closer and more out of focus it is.
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by Jack Howard December 27, 2007 12:44AM reply | quote
posted by Jack Howard

Rich, et. al...

It doesn't have to be snow--good old liquid drops in the air also work... See #4 in this thread...

Which means you can make a snowfall in the tropics, if there's a little bit of rain or fog around ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2007 08:22AM by PopPhotoJack.
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by shurla5 December 27, 2007 07:11AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

I like, now I'm hoping for a snowfall, I should say a light snowfall. lol
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by SWiFt December 27, 2007 11:39AM reply | quote
posted by SWiFt

Spectacular! These are wonderful.

SWiFt

[giganticphotography.co.nz]

"Beauty is in the Eye of the Beerholder"
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by satya December 28, 2007 02:25AM reply | quote
posted by satya

WOW!! Really Awesome :)
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB December 30, 2007 01:31PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks everyone ---

Shurla, Steve, Satya, Shamsa, scoobyz, Cindy, and Jack ...

for your kind comments. I hope that Cindy and scoobyz will soon get some snow to make some similar images, or follow Jack's suggestion and make a snowfall out of fog or mist! Happy Holidays!
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by Mamaoval March 02, 2011 09:38PM reply | quote
posted by Mamaoval

I agree that using the creative Aperture disks can produce unexpected (and pleasing) results. Your Snowfall picture is magical.
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by popquiz March 03, 2011 02:10AM reply | quote
posted by popquiz

Great to see this come back around. Some of RichB's pics are my favorites. Here is one of mine I did with the Creative Aperture disks. RichB has always been an inspiration to many of us.

...it's like nailing JELL-O to a tree!

Glen Copeland
aka: PopQuiz

Join Lensbaby Addicts at: [www.facebook.com]
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB March 03, 2011 08:53AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

It was nice of you, Mamaoval, to bring up this old post of mine. Thanks.

Your comments mean so much to me, Glen. You are very kind! I think I remember your beautiful image from the Valentine posts a few years back. It so wonderfully shows the beauty of this flower, especially before it officially opens itself. I hope that you are doing well!

Rich
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by Bender March 05, 2011 09:33AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

How did I miss this one? Rich, that #2 shot in particular is really amazing, wow! :)

Peter
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by Nino March 06, 2011 05:54AM reply | quote
posted by Nino

Great idea ! Love the #2, beautiful.

Nino
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB March 07, 2011 07:24AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks Peter and Nino for your kind comments!

Rich
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by jffoto March 08, 2011 03:22AM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
Nice series Rich, my fave is #2-great use of the disks.

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB March 10, 2011 12:37PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks, Jørgen. Appreciated.

Rich
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by Damona-Art March 11, 2011 05:54AM reply | quote
posted by Damona-Art

Well, if that isn't creative ;-)
My fave is nr 2.

Nice to know that this works!
Grtz R.

DAMONA-ART
Something to talk about
[www.damona-art.com]
Re: Applying the Creative Aperture to a Snowfall posted by RichB March 13, 2011 05:58PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thank you Rosita for your kind comments. Hope you have a nice week.

Rich

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today