Latest Post

13 hours ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

surprising grace

Newer Topic | Older Topic

surprising grace posted by CMH November 19, 2007 10:54PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

This image may not look like much and it quite possibly is one of those “you had to be there” moments, but it’s really special to me. It was a beautifully clear and warm morning. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the flock of pelicans gliding thru the sky. Not that unusual ~ I’ve seen it before. But this time I stopped and just watched them ~ back and forth, back and forth ~ soaring with such grace. They were pretty high up and this was shot with my Lensbaby 2.0 and telephoto adapter, so you can imagine how high they were.

It was extremely quiet on my path. At one point I put my camera down to just BE in the moment (something I rarely do). I could HEAR the beating of their wings. I literally had tears. The whole experience ~ all five minutes of it ~ renewed me in a way I can’t explain.

It’s good to be alive. And I am blessed.

Canon 30D + Lensbaby 2.0 + telephoto ~ which i don't think "non LBer's" realize it was tricky to catch birds in flight with an LB! but i do love a challenge. :D

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: surprising grace posted by trexpixx November 19, 2007 11:01PM reply | quote
posted by trexpixx

I love those kinda moments.
Re: surprising grace posted by CMH November 20, 2007 12:52AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

thanks trexpixx. you get it. :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: surprising grace posted by ranfoto November 20, 2007 02:55AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Flock of pelicans gliding thru the sky. Not that unusual .

I figured pelicans were shore birds.......if you said geese, I would say yep yep migration time, but wow.......pelicans in the rockies ?

Say you haven't gone to your vacation house have you.....:)))

Moment by moment, that's life ! Reach out and grab it .
Re: surprising grace posted by Linda November 20, 2007 03:13AM reply | quote
posted by Linda
sharp image, beautiful! it's moments like this that make your day ;-)
Re: surprising grace posted by CMH November 20, 2007 03:44AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

i started noticing these pelicans about 3 years ago ~ they arrive in the spring and stay till late fall. i know - weird. but in looking thru my Colorado bird book ~ they're "native" during that time. it's awesome. :D

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: surprising grace posted by Craig (Admin) November 20, 2007 10:01AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

You got me thinking about getting out of the office for another trip to a river or lake. Occasionally I put down my fly rod long enough to experience such moments. Rarely I experience them with the rod in hand.

Thank you for your articulate description of your experience.

And, nice capture.

(leaving the office now)

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: surprising grace posted by CMH November 20, 2007 10:33PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

aw, craig ~ happy to help; and i hope you do get out there. (now if i could just convince my mister to do the same...)

i'm grateful every day that i can call my "office" being in nature... :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: surprising grace posted by oliver tudoras November 21, 2007 03:17AM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

minimalist and very well bent..like the discription

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: surprising grace posted by rannestad November 21, 2007 03:51AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Great image, but maybe even better description of the event. I would have loved to be there.

I am a little curious to what you do in your "office". I noticed the other day that you call the nature your office. Does this have anything to do with photography? Are you one of those lucky ones doing nature photography? Please enlighten us...

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: surprising grace posted by Kath November 21, 2007 04:47AM reply | quote
posted by Kath

I loved this story, Cindi. I had a similar moment in my garden this summer, standing very still, I heard the sound of butterfly wings for the first time. An amazing moment, I know just what you were feeling with the birds. :)

Kathleen

www.kathleenclemonsphotography.com
[www.ppsop.com]

My blog: [kathleenclemons.blogspot.com]
Re: surprising grace posted by Crabcakes November 21, 2007 08:03AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

I recall a moment almost twenty years ago, in the Bighorn mountains of Wyoming, on a solo backpacking trip when I was sitting very still, fishing at Lake Geneva, when a marten(!very reclusive creatures) came down the boulder-strewn slope about twenty feet from me to drink from the lake--I don't think I have been that much "in the moment" in all the years since. Those five days alone in the mountains are one of the fondest memories and most powerful experiences of my life.

THANK YOU for bringing it all back!!

I hope to do everything in my power to make those experiences available to my daughter!!

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: surprising grace posted by Duh_Vinci November 21, 2007 11:16AM reply | quote
posted by Duh_Vinci

Thank you for sharing your experience and a wonderful capture of the moment!

Regards,
D
Re: surprising grace posted by CMH November 21, 2007 11:52PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

wow ~ thank you all!! and thank you for sharing your stories as well - so inspiring! kathleen - butterfly wings?? omg. what a treasure! crabby - so happy i could evoke a special memory.
thank you all for your kind words.
bjorn ~ much of my photography is nature related because i do spend time in nature every single day and tend to shoot what's in front of me. :) it occured to me awhile ago that my morning hikes are, indeed, my "work" and nature is my "office."
ironically, years ago i used to drive thru the very same state park to go to work in a real office and a real cubicle. i despised being trapped inside. so there is a particular joy in, today, hiking in that very same park. i look at it as kismet... kharma. :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: surprising grace posted by Va girl November 28, 2007 10:34AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

Hi Cindi..... sharing your pelicans and experience was quite special.... and it made me slow down and enjoy the "moments" of my busy days rather than racing blindly along.... and that is saying quite a bit!

Your image and story stayed with me and really came to light the next day..... I hope everyone will be lucky enough to see and recognize their pelicans one day!

You encouraged me to dig out some old film images I made summer before last when I found my pelicans! Thought I'd share this with you.... this one happened to be a non-LB image.... but it showed the grace I saw and felt that day best of all. I really enjoyed watching these creatures skim the crest of the waves.... I could have watched them all day! Again, thanks for grounding me!

Pam
Re: surprising grace posted by CMH November 28, 2007 09:24PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

well, pam, the sun is not up yet here in colorado and you have already made MY day. :) thank you so much for your kind words and sharing that amazing image. i can feel the sea breeze.
i still think it's so strange that pelicans reside in colorado half the year ~ and they do fascinate me. how something so large and rather awkward can be so graceful... there is, perhaps, a lesson in that.
at this busy, crazy time of year i need to listen to my own words a little more. thank YOU for reminding ME. ;-)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 09:27PM by CMH.
Re: surprising grace posted by DigiDi November 28, 2007 11:23PM reply | quote
posted by DigiDi

These are cherished moments indeed. Very lovely! I just visited your photo gallery and your pictures are wonderful too. Diane
Re: surprising grace posted by CMH November 29, 2007 12:55AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

thanks so much, diane. :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today