Lensbaby Studio Forums

Camera Tribute (Challenge)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by atarisphoto November 15, 2007 03:56AM reply | quote
posted by atarisphoto
I always enjoy seeing interesting photos of cameras. Most of the camera tributes that I have seen tend to be of the photographer's first or favorite camera. I have also seen great photos made of interesting, rare or unique cameras as well.

This is my tribute to the camera I learned to shoot on; an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic that used to belong to my grandpa. I used it for the first time in about 3 years (since I bought my Nikon D70) this past weekend at my cousins wedding and it brought back great memories. I am really looking forward to getting the film developed from the event; it has been a while since I have had to wait to see the results of my photos.

Anyways, this photo was made with my Nikon D70 and my OLB at f/3.5 with available indoor light (hence the high ISO and grain/noise). I like the old/rough look of the photo because that is how I think of that camera. They just don't make cameras like they used to.

Please share your camera tributes if you feel compelled. I am new to this forum so I hope I am not repeating a challenge (then again it's not bad to revisit ideas). Thanks for looking and sharing.

atarisphoto
"the unexamined life is not worth living..."
--socrates--
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by CMH November 15, 2007 07:12AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

great idea.
this is my mom's kodak brownie camera. she took photos of five kids over the years with this puppy (my oldest brother is 65; youngest sister 45). mom wasn't a great photographer (in fact she usually cut someone's head off), but that didn't stop her from snapping away. i really need to dig some of those pix out and scan them...
anyway, i ended up with it. have no idea if it still works, but i fully intend to do a "thru the viewfinder" project with it [hopefully] soon!
it's not pretty, but it holds great sentimental value for me. :)
Cindi
i shot this with my 2.0 and the heart aperture disk. the heart didn't really show up, but it was just an experiment. :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by atarisphoto November 15, 2007 08:10AM reply | quote
posted by atarisphoto
very sentimental and beautiful bending...thanks very much for sharing...my grandma is a lot like your mom...she is always taking pictures even though most aren't very good looking...it's the emotion behind them that is important...we tried to get her a digital camera for christmas last year but she ended up returning it and just buying a new film camera instead...she said there was very few to choose from any more...peace***

atarisphoto
--socrates--
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by craig16229 November 15, 2007 11:38AM reply | quote
posted by craig16229

When my dad started teaching me photography at age 11, he was shooting mostly with 35mm SLR's. I wanted to be just like him, and thought an auto SLR was the only thing to shoot.

Instead, this is what was under the Christmas tree that year. If I remember correctly, I was quite the little terd that morning when I opened up my "new" camera. Dad told me there was no way he was making my first good camera an automatic; he said I was going to learn the fundamentals. Man, how I hated that rangefinder body at first. Manual focus, manual aperture, manual speed, manual everything. Boy did he know exactly what he was doing for me. This camera taught me so much, and I have put so many rolls through it that the aperture ring broke not long ago; I am looking around for the best craftsman to fix it.

Craig

[www.craigwasselphotoart.com]

"The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking . . . ."

~ Brooks Atkinson ~
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by Darrell Marquette November 15, 2007 12:47PM reply | quote
posted by Darrell Marquette

This was my first 35mm camera - a Nikkormat FTn that is built like a tank. It still works fine but I have not used it very much since I started using digital SLRs.
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by Crabcakes November 15, 2007 02:49PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Great Idea!!
Have to see if I can find my old cannon viewfinder--I think it's buried in the basement.

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by atarisphoto November 16, 2007 01:24AM reply | quote
posted by atarisphoto
i like the up-side-down composition...i had a similar experience with not wanting a manual camera...i took a photo class in high school and refused to use anything but an automatic camera...it wasnt until college that i decided that i wanted to get into photography and started to wish i had learned to use a manual camera from an instructor...so instead i read books...talked to other photographers and mostly learned via trial and error...as well as lots of film...peace***

atarisphoto
--socrates--
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by ranfoto November 16, 2007 04:45AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Well just thought I would dig up my old camera to give you a look at what used to inspire me along the creative way, but alas it gave up it's ghost and it's optics were recycled into a more productive use.......a Ranmade Bending machine hee hee !

Oh.....but I did use my 2.0 and mystery fisheye modie to Bend the remains ! :)))

Love these Challenges !!!
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by Cherilynn November 16, 2007 09:02AM reply | quote
posted by Cherilynn

Wow! I got to dig up my grandmothers first polaroid...She loved to take pictures...Didn't have the patience to wait for film, though...

We lost her 23 years ago. I wonder what she would be doing now if she were still with us...
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by JamsDuma November 16, 2007 10:14AM reply | quote
posted by JamsDuma

I have been wanting to do this for a while thanks for the kick in the butt. My first camera Pentax Asahi k1000, an old staple for learning photography. LB2 @4.0 and could not resist the heart ap cause I do love this sturdy camera. I use it for night
photography mostly now, if ever.

James
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by Darrell Marquette November 16, 2007 10:55AM reply | quote
posted by Darrell Marquette

My old Yashica twin lens reflex. Taken with Original LB, f4, on Nikon D40.
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by atarisphoto November 16, 2007 11:54AM reply | quote
posted by atarisphoto
i too have been wanting to do this for a while...i guess i am my own kick in the butt...although i do have to admit my camera tribute was made quite spontaneously...i will have to do another one when i have more time...i too have k1000 that a friend bought for me at a garage sale...its only use thus far has been as decoration for my room...i especially like your 3rd post...i will have to do some detail shots of my cameras...thanks for sharing and the idea...peace***

atarisphoto
--socrates--
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by Duh_Vinci November 17, 2007 02:40AM reply | quote
posted by Duh_Vinci

I see there are "few" Pentax owners =) Here is my little contribution:

Regards,
D
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by Halima67 November 17, 2007 03:38AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

What abrilliant idea Jeff! Since I don't have a digital camera (probably the only one left!), you'll have to wait until next week for my contribution...but my contribution I will give.
Helene
[www.eleniphotos.com]

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by oliver tudoras November 17, 2007 05:03AM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

great idea....interesting images!!!

thats me with my first SLR /Praktika MTL 5....10 years ago

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by mark sadlier November 19, 2007 04:45AM reply | quote
posted by mark sadlier

this isn't my camera, it belongs to my partner & before that to her brother.

it was old even before he aquired it.

he died very young & she kept it for sentimental reasons.

now it sits on my office shelf. i don't suppose it's had a film through it in 25 years.

now & again i open it up to admire its teutonic charms; one day i'll get the sticky shutter mechanism seen to.....

mark.

[www.marksadlier.com]
Re: Camera Tribute (Challenge) posted by dmh1218 November 19, 2007 06:38AM reply | quote
posted by dmh1218

James,

Great to see an Asahi Pentax K-1000 represented here. That's what I started out on back in 1974. I no longer have the camera so cannot submit my LB bend on it, but enjoyed your pics of a long-time friend. Thanks for sharing...
David
treelinephoto.net

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today