Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

4 hours ago by Terri

Re: November walk

view post

what kind of camera is everyone using?

1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by kim March 11, 2004 08:21AM reply | quote
posted by
I thought this might be helpful if everyone said what kind of camera they were using the lensbaby with.
I saw someone was using the d2h, great camera!
I shoot a fuji s2 and will be getting a nikon d70 for fun next month.

What kind of camera lives stuck to your eye?!

:)
S2 posted by Craig (Admin) March 11, 2004 08:28AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm also using the S2. Used the D100 for 18 months before going to 2 S2s for this winter/spring (outdoor weddings and the S2 pose jpeg contrast issues that the D100 tamed for me).

I also have the D70 on order. Next month? That would be cool.

Have a fantastic day.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by kim March 11, 2004 08:31AM reply | quote
posted by
Hi Craig:
What kind of camera settings do you use? Your photos are so beautifully saturated!
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Craig (Admin) March 11, 2004 08:47AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I am shooting color std (more saturation than org), tone std (i find there is little difference than org, very little, and what difference there is makes me like std much better, do your own tests), sharpening off, jpeg 3024, fine.

The healthy saturation comes for me when, in Photoshop, I anchor the shadows about 1/4 of the way up then bump up the mids/highs about 2/3rds of the way up. Every image is different of course but I do find I get a better mid/high transition when I give my curves a bit of an "S" shape. I also add about 12% average saturation with a hue/sat layer. I would rather do this in PS than in the camera using color high so as to avoid pegging my highlights in any one color prematurely.

Enjoy the sunshine.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by kim March 14, 2004 06:01AM reply | quote
posted by
what kind of camera settings are you using on the fuji s2 since the metering doesnt work with this lens?
manual posted by Craig (Admin) March 14, 2004 10:20AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

In addition to the image parameters listed above I shoot my S2 in manual mode and check my histograms for trial and error exposure.

When I have time I use an expodisc for a custom white balance. Much more accurate than a dirty sock according to Kevin Kubota who just tested it against several other methods including the sock, pringles lid, AWB. Will be doing my own testing setting my WB through an old pair of pantyhose and a coffee filter (seperate tests of course).

Are there other settings on the S2 that you think might affect how you shoot with your lensbaby?

Have a groovy week.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Brightside March 15, 2004 02:37AM reply | quote
posted by
Unfortunately I dpn't have one of these swanky digital cameras and I'm working with a simple Nikon F65 (I believe this was the N65 in America). My first experiements have been on print film but I think slide film would be better suited to the lensbaby look, as long as I can get the exposure right!
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by mikel March 15, 2004 11:42AM reply | quote
posted by
Nikon D2h love the meter working but wish the file looked more like the S-2

S-2 rocks but I like the crutch of the meter...

I shoot and look with the s-2 and the babie...

Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by jonjon March 29, 2004 08:39AM reply | quote
posted by
hello,

I use a good old NIKON FE2 *_*
I just got back from a week in italy and the only cameras i brought with me were my FE2 with the lensbaby and a holga *_* left all of the high tech stuff at home and that was the best thing i ever did.

I LOVE THIS LENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aloha,
jon
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by keenevision April 22, 2004 07:47PM reply | quote
posted by
I use a Canon 10D... I'll also try this miracle lens on my EOS 1V, just to see....

Bob K
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Mary Bell April 28, 2004 11:36AM reply | quote
posted by
Canon D300 better known as the Digital Rebel - I love this lens got some fun shots at the park today!!
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by David Kapp April 30, 2004 01:43PM reply | quote
posted by
I'm using mine w/ a D70. Just got the Lensbaby last week, and I'm having a lot of fun. I will be taking it with me to San Francisco Chinatown tomorrow. I have big plans for this lens.

Dave
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by billkaroly May 16, 2004 11:39PM reply | quote
posted by
Canon 10D - Just ordered my Lensbaby. Can't wait.

Bill
www.dpcoop.com
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by mediahound May 17, 2004 05:27PM reply | quote
posted by
i'm also running a D70. Great camera~!

D70 posted by Craig (Admin) May 19, 2004 02:12PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm amazed at my D70 images. Loaded a custom curve so the files match my S2 in terms of mid tones and the jpeg files rock!

Not totally used to the camera before I left I thought that I might regret not taking my S2 along to Italy, just my D70.

I could not be more thrilled with that choice.

Have a super day.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: D70 posted by marcjutras May 25, 2004 04:01PM reply | quote
posted by
I just received my lensbaby and I must say this thing is going to be addictive! I use it with my 10D. So far, I find I have to go about -1 stop to avoid blown highlights. I'll test this more when I get a chance.

I went outside my house for a few minutes to try it before the light was out. I got some pretty interresting shots right off the bat. Some friends walked by and were of course declared fair game. ;o) One of those shots (attached) turned out to be a beautiful close-up portrait and I'm sure it could be enlarge to any size.

I got beautiful results in PS by applying a defogging technique (USM 20/60/0). It removes the foggy (!) look and makes the sweet spot really clear, accentuating the effect of the lens.

I'm happy!
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by emerald May 27, 2004 06:40PM reply | quote
posted by
I am using an Olympus E-1. Love the camera, just waiting for a lensbaby to be made to fit my camera. I really like seeing all the pictures from the different users.......Emerald
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by dievee June 08, 2004 07:45PM reply | quote
posted by
Well I'm also using the Fuji S2, I have 2 of them and I absolutely love them and what a pleasure to use it with this wonderful and superb lensbabie, amazing and so easy to use.

With kind regards,

Dirk

Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Craig (Admin) June 09, 2004 08:27PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm waiting for my S2 to come back from Fuji. In the meantime I am toting around a couple of D70s.

Love the D70. Miss the S2 more than I think I should based on the image quality of the D70. Maybe it is the awe inspiring LCD display that makes me so freaking excited every time I go to review my images.

Thinking now that I will keep my S2 when it returns and dedicate it to my Lensbaby, infrared photography and my Peleng 8mm Russian lens. Of course, the Lensbaby will be more permanent than the others but I have always liked my options.

Below is another image of Isabella, who I am nearing the end of my once-monthly documentation of her first year.

Have a super one.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by sap August 01, 2004 10:18PM reply | quote
posted by
What settings are you using on the D-70?
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Craig (Admin) August 02, 2004 01:11PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Color space II. No sharpening. Normal saturation. Minus 1 on the contrast.

I shoot in Adobe RGB because highlights transition to overexposure more smoothly than in sRGB and Adobe RGB provides files with more information than sRGB which I end up converting to when I need less colors (web, Fuji Frontier...).

Hope this helps.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by MarkT August 05, 2004 05:47AM reply | quote
posted by MarkT

Hi all,

Started out using a Fuji S2, but found the manual take-a-shot-and-check-the-preview method a little distracting, so I've switched to a Nikon FE2, and I'm much happier.

The full-frame image size helps too, as the Lensbaby cirle of focus seems to need more room at the edges for full effect.

Here's a few from the John Kˆrmeling exhibit "Mobile Fun" down in Toronto's Harbourfront area.

Just a question: I've had good success using strobes metered with a Sekonic LM, but find that daylight scenes similarly metered come out about 1.5 - 2 stops under-exposed. Any thoughts?
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by capone August 08, 2004 01:00AM reply | quote
posted by
Hi,
IÂ¥m also using a non digital Nikon (F5). Any tips on metering?
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by MarkT August 08, 2004 03:14PM reply | quote
posted by MarkT

I believe that the F5 will allow aperture-priority and manual metering options with the lensbaby, but not with matrix metering. Switch to average and one of these two modes and you should be fine.

The FE2 is so simple to use with the lensbaby - set the mode to aperture-priority and shoot! (plus, I think it helps that negative film is so forgiving with exposure variances...)
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by jhank944 August 23, 2004 07:01PM reply | quote
posted by
I am using my baby with a Kodak DCS 14N. Huge file, great fun, strange looks from passers-by! Am going to add a wide angle converter as per Kristen next time out.

Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by frostbyte August 23, 2004 07:23PM reply | quote
posted by
Hello all

I'm using a Canon D60 myself, it is a six mega pixel digital camera.

Ed

www.edhardy.ca
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Guchot August 23, 2004 09:37PM reply | quote
posted by Guchot

Hello everyone,
I received my Baby 2 weeks ago and I already love it. I use it on the Canon 300D, which is known in the US as the Digital Rebel.
Like a few others here I have the Problem that I have to slow the camera 2 stops down to get a correct exposure with the Baby. Curiously it is the same when I use my 16mm Zenitar Fisheye. Seems that the Rebel has a Problem with this manual lenses.
Due to the fact that I mostly take pictures in the nude and fetish segment, I'm looking hard to make a picture that I can show here. But I'm sure I will find one soon ;-) I used the Lensbaby twice during a shooting, the first time while the model was in a small creek, the second time in an industrial ruin. On Saturday I will try it in the Studio. I love the f4 stop most, the 5,6 is not soft enough for me. Maybe because of the crop-factor. Will try it next on my analog EOS to see how the effect will be. In the Studio the biggest problem might be to slow down the flashes to f4, but I'll see.
I'll keep you informed.
Greetings from Cologne, Germany
Guchot

P.S. Please excuse my english, its not my native language.
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by nieppi September 27, 2004 02:59AM reply | quote
posted by
Hi all!
I am new user of lensbabies and I use it with Sigma SD9. maybe i put some pistures in here sometimes when i get to know how.
Sorry my bad english, but i an from Finland and try write the way i can ;-)
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by jschweigl September 27, 2004 05:54AM reply | quote
posted by
Nikon. I've used a D100 for the first few pictures, but like the F100 much better, because of the metering ability. Will try on my FM next time.
Re: what kind of camera is everyone using? posted by Laure October 05, 2004 11:43PM reply | quote
posted by
Hi Kim!
I just got the lensbaby a few weeks ago and am using the Nikon D100 with it. It's so much fun!

Laure

1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today