Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by Josh-LB

Re: Macro

view post

Post Pictures Of Your Hometown

1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 January 26, 2007 10:11PM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

One of the things I love about this asylum is that the inmates are so far flung. We have North, South, East and West. New Jersey. Austria. San Diego. New Zealand. Singapore. It goes on and on.

The images that fascinate me the most, the ones that I find most exotic, are more often than not, shot a stone's throw from where the photographer lives. The trees, buildings, people, street scenes, of each of our hometowns are mundane to those of us who live there. But to everyone else, they are a window into another world.

I think I tried this once before, with little success, but I'd like to encourage people to post pictures (shot ten minutes ago, or from your archive) that represent the place you live.

NOTE TO WEBMASTER: Is there a problem with having a single thread with a lot of photos?

My contribution today was taken at my surf break on 110th street in Stone Harbor, New Jersey, USA. We've had winter storms that have taken a lot of beach away. Consequently, the storm fencing is coming down in places. But I live in a beach town. A summer resort, and the beach is a big part the people who live here.

David McCarty
[www.hoppingfrogstudios.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2007 10:14PM by dmccarty10.
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by oliver tudoras January 26, 2007 10:32PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

I reallyl like this very well composed image - another fine B&W

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 January 26, 2007 11:36PM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

Come on Ollie. I know you have pictures of where you live somewhere there on your computer. <grin>

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by oliver tudoras January 27, 2007 12:15AM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

no LB picture on my computer of my hometown.....sorry ......

will take some and post it.....

have a great weekend

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by JMK January 28, 2007 04:49AM reply | quote
posted by JMK
Here's one...
Uusikaupunki, Finland. Sunday evening.

JMK
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Eggplantorn January 29, 2007 01:53AM reply | quote
posted by Eggplantorn

Its not scenic, but I spend alot of time at this stoplight... waiting waiting waiting.... ~ L
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by ljguitar January 29, 2007 04:06AM reply | quote
posted by ljguitar

Hi David...
You are forcing me to think and ask others 'what one picture would represent our city to a group of people from other places?'...

So far I have many answers, so I'm just putting a few here, and will do a 'report' on the city later...

First in the minds of merchants is an event that takes 10 days a year and brings in 80% of the income for many merchants...Cheyenne Frontier Days!!!

365 days of advertising, - note the snow and 25°F sign (-16°C for our over-there friends. Our city has 50,000 residents, and the stadium for Rodeos and night shows seats 10,000 people!

Four full parades, Two full Rodeos with huge prize money, carnivals, Indian Dancers, Chuck Wagon and Wild Horse races (more on that this coming July)...whew! Exhausting just thinking about it...even this time of year (January) that is how many in our community see Cheyenne.

#1 - Frontier Days sign in the snow
#2 - Another announcing the time - in the snow
#3 - Full time sign on Freeway

L a r r y J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 04:10AM by ljguitar.
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by ljguitar January 29, 2007 04:09AM reply | quote
posted by ljguitar

Here are two other ways...

We are the state capitol of a state with less than half million residents. We have a Culver's restaurant now, and they serve Butter Burgers cooked fresh to order!!

#4 - Capitol Building
#5 - Crossing sign
#6 - Outside the stadium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 04:12AM by ljguitar.
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 January 29, 2007 04:11AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

JMK: Love it. That's what I'm talking about. I want to visit that street!

Lauren: Cool shots. Where exactly (city, state, country?) is this stoplight that you are waiting for?

Larry: Thanks for playing. I'll be waiting to see the whole series of LB shots come July. Not everyone has chuck wagons, rodeos, and Indian dancing in their own backyard. Exactly the point.

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 January 29, 2007 04:19AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

Larry: "Daddy of em all" is right. So, just how IS a butter burger?

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by ljguitar January 29, 2007 04:28AM reply | quote
posted by ljguitar

Oh David...
Hot, succulant, moist burger, thinnly made & hanging out the sides of the bun...with lettuce, tomato, a full layer of blue cheese crumbled on top, and three strips of thick slow-cooked bacon on a bun that was 'toasted' by buttering it and then frying it on the grill, a couple pickles and wrapped in paper to keep it hot!*

Worth letting the workers 'cross' to deliver them. Maybe worth going back and taking a picture of with a Lens Baby! Where's my coat?

*That's the way I like mine made (they come in about a dozen configurations).

L a r r y J
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Eggplantorn January 29, 2007 05:16AM reply | quote
posted by Eggplantorn

David, its one of the 4 stoplights in Florence, OR. The commute takes me 3 minutes (yeah I know the city dwellers are cursing me now!) and I can be at the beach in 10 minutes! Its a great place to live... but a really annoying stoplight.
And now after checking out LarryJ's pix, I want a hamburger for lunch.... do'h! ~ L
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 January 29, 2007 05:26AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

Eggplantorn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David, its one of the 4 stoplights in Florence,
> OR. The commute takes me 3 minutes (yeah I know
> the city dwellers are cursing me now!) and I can
> be at the beach in 10 minutes! Its a great place
> to live... but a really annoying stoplight.

Wait. You mean you live in a place with only 4 stoplights, and the picture you show us is of a stoplight? What's wrong with this picture? No pun intended. :) What does Oregon look like? It's gotta be a bit different from New Jersey! (liked the shots anyway)

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Eggplantorn January 29, 2007 06:47AM reply | quote
posted by Eggplantorn

Well I cant speak for all of Oregon, but for my little town... Going north on 101 you come over the bridge... and hit the light at the intersection of 101 & Rhododendron Drive (yes we us wierd plant names here for our city streets) then further up its the 101 & 9th street light, then the light at 21st, and then the light at 35th, and then you drive a bit more and your out of town. Theres alot more in the middle, but Im sure its very different from New Jersey! I am actualy headed towards NYC in a month... cant wait to bend a completely different scene! :)
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by OUTOFFOCUS January 29, 2007 11:57AM reply | quote
posted by OUTOFFOCUS

Eggplantorn Wrote:
> Well I cant speak for all of Oregon, but for my
> little town... Going north on 101 you come over
> the bridge... and hit the light at the
> intersection of 101 & Rhododendron Drive (yes we
> us wierd plant names here for our city streets)
> then further up its the 101 & 9th street light,
> then the light at 21st, and then the light at
> 35th, and then you drive a bit more and your out
> of town. Theres alot more in the middle, but Im
> sure its very different from New Jersey! I am
> actualy headed towards NYC in a month... cant wait
> to bend a completely different scene! :)

I have relatives up in Portland and more in the Washington area, and believe me plant names for streets are a lot less confusing than Northeast, Southwest, etc. etc. To me if you live in the Northern part of town you just plain live on the north side of town, not northwest, northeast,blah,blah, blah.
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Eggplantorn January 30, 2007 02:34AM reply | quote
posted by Eggplantorn

Agreed! I get lost in portland quite frequently Jose! :)
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Kirsten (Admin) January 30, 2007 12:35PM reply | quote
posted by Kirsten

Hello everyone,

Craig and I were able to get on the roof of the 12 storey building that houses Lensbabies World Wide Headquarters. (We don't take up the whole 12.) It was a gorgeous day too. Mt. Hood was a little hazy but St. Helens was clear. The gargoyles watch guard over us. I never could have got that shot without the 3G (or falling to my death). Enjoy...

Kirsten Hunter
Director of Customer Happiness

See more of my work on my blog:
www.livefrombeechstreet.blogspot.com
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Craig (Admin) January 30, 2007 01:30PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Kirsten,

Thanks for getting such a perfect shot of the gargoyles. Love the subtle stars in the background.

I am still warming up from my hour with hands on a cold camera shooting test shots with experimental LB gear.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by Eggplantorn January 31, 2007 01:26AM reply | quote
posted by Eggplantorn

Gorgeous Kristen! I might get lost in Portland, but theres always something cool to see on the "long route". Amazing shot of the Gargoyles... and I like the star app effect. ~ L
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 February 02, 2007 09:41AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

Thanks Kirsten. Nice to see. Looks like the fun town I've always heard it was.

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by sparktography February 03, 2007 12:08PM reply | quote
posted by sparktography

Two Union Square in downtown Seattle. Shot about a block from my condo.

[www.flickr.com]

Sparky | sparktography.com | codeforfood.org
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 February 03, 2007 09:33PM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

Nice. A downtown kinda guy then Sparky?

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by lara February 04, 2007 03:20AM reply | quote
posted by lara

JMK Wrote:
> Here's one...
> Uusikaupunki, Finland. Sunday evening.
>
> JMK

this is fairytale land.wonderful capture!

lara

[www.digitalstoryteller.com]
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by MelBrackstone February 05, 2007 05:46AM reply | quote
posted by MelBrackstone

The old powerhouse at NewFarm....dancing on the beach at Sandgate, and a King fern in the tropical dome at the Botanical gardens....
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Mel :) In sunny Brisbane, Australia
[melbrackstone.com]
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 February 05, 2007 07:28AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

On #2, is that a crashing wave in the background?

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by MelBrackstone February 05, 2007 08:32AM reply | quote
posted by MelBrackstone

I wish! Nope this is a bayside beach with no waves. Those white lights are from the Port of Brisbane, where all the container ships are unloaded.

I've attached a wave for ya :)

[melbrackstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2007 08:34AM by MelBrackstone.
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 February 05, 2007 10:01AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

I'm a surfer. East Coast surfer, which for many people is an oxymoron, but a surfer nonetheless. I've got to get to Australia one of these days. A fashion photographer I work with (Eddie Collins) is an Aussie. Actually, there's a lot of Aussies in the fashion business in the States. Don't know why.

I've attached a photo which has become a favorite on surfing websites. It's not LB, but....

Check out more surfing pics at [web.mac.com]

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by MelBrackstone February 05, 2007 10:06AM reply | quote
posted by MelBrackstone

Lol!!! What a beauty!!!

[melbrackstone.com]
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by dmccarty10 February 05, 2007 10:20AM reply | quote
posted by dmccarty10

That's a real live nun. She's 82, and always wanted to try surfing. This was the best we could do. The break we surf is called Nun's Beach, because there's a convent there. Actually, it's where the nuns from a Franciscan order come to vacation during the summer. The nuns actually own the beach all the way down to the high water mark. Unusual because most of the beach is public. Not all the wealthy people who live on the island like the surfers, but the nun's like us. Funny, huh?

Every year we have a surf competition at Nun's Beach. You should see the shirts and sweatshirts. The nuns are out there selling them. It's a pisser. All the money goes to the convent. We take care of them and they take care of us.

The shot of the Sister was taken during last year's competition.

David McCarty
Re: Post Pictures Of Your Hometown posted by MelBrackstone February 05, 2007 12:25PM reply | quote
posted by MelBrackstone

What a great story!! Thanks for sharing :)

[melbrackstone.com]
1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today