Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 hours ago by rusteer

Re: side light to flare

view post

How does metering work with the lensbaby?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

How does metering work with the lensbaby? posted by filmuser August 23, 2004 05:18PM reply | quote
posted by
Hi all,

Basic qn sorry - how does the metering work with this lens? Is it trial and error or can you set the apature on the camera body to that of the lensbaby and fire away?

I have a decidedly low tech Nikon F60 and a Nikon EM - will the metering work on these bodies or do I need to use a handheld meter?

Re: How does metering work with the lensbaby? posted by Craig (Admin) August 23, 2004 09:03PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Unfortunately, the F60 body will not give you the metering that you are after, however, I believe that the EM body will set the shutter speed based solely on the amount of light entering the camera. No aperture info is communicated to any Nikon body by a Lensbaby but Nikon bodies with a mechanical link to the aperture ring on a Nikon lens will allow metering/aperture priority automatic with a Lensbaby.

If your EM proves not to work well with your Lensbaby a handheld meter may cost you more than buying a Nikon FE which has been a favorite among Lensbaby film shooters for it's aperture priority auto mode.

Have a super day.

-Craig

Post Edited (08-25-04 22:31)

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: How does metering work with the lensbaby? posted by filmuser August 23, 2004 09:13PM reply | quote
posted by
Thanks, I expected as much on the F60. The little EM is aperture priority so it should do the job.

Another question, how well does the Lensbaby work with a film camera - is the larger film vs. digital sensor size a problem? Does it reduce the effect of the lens?

Re: How does metering work with the lensbaby? posted by Craig (Admin) August 24, 2004 07:02AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Not only is it not a problem but it actually increases the effect by utilizing more of the edge funkyness that a smaller image area crops out. Before buying, test wide angle adapters not sold on Lensbabies.com (accessories link in the shopping cart) to make sure that the conversion lens does not crop out one side of the image on a normal tilt.

Have fun.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: How does metering work with the lensbaby? posted by filmuser August 24, 2004 04:42PM reply | quote
posted by
Thanks Craig, the lens looks like a lot of fun - looking forward to giving it a go!

Peter

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today