Latest Post

13 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Leaf abstractions in B&W

view post

New Lensbaby

Newer Topic | Older Topic

New Lensbaby posted by Chris Leck August 05, 2004 06:55PM reply | quote
posted by
Got my Lensbaby a week ago and have been trying it out on a variety of subject matter. It's a great relief and great fun work in a more impressionistic way instead of striving for critical focus and sharpness.

I've attached three images:
1. Author Jim Hightower signs books at the Bagdad Theater in Portland, Oregon
2. New construction in the Pearl District, Portland
3. Late night at the pub

Last night I shot a string quartet (Fear No Music) at an informal concert. I usually rely on AF-S glass for performance; the Lensbaby is going to require some adjusting to, a lot of practice, and probably some different techniques. A handful of the images are at [www.chrisleck.com].
Re: New Lensbaby posted by DavidF August 10, 2004 11:06AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

I especially love the feel and quality of the light in the third image. I can almost hear the din of the pub.

David
Re: New Lensbaby posted by laspalmas7 August 12, 2004 03:19PM reply | quote
posted by
The string quartet shots are awesome! What aperture did you use? Did you use a wide angle adapter for any?

-AM

Re: New Lensbaby posted by Chris Leck August 12, 2004 04:43PM reply | quote
posted by
David & AM, thank you for your comments!

The folks at the pub like the image. I've shot quite a few there for one reason or another. One of the servers is a beginning photographer and he enjoys shooting with the Lensbaby. Too bad he only has a digital P&S.

The string quartet images were taken at f/4, IIRC. I shot more images than I published, but it's a challenge! It was near dusk, musicians move, and f/2.8 is a bit soft for my taste (I like f/5.6 the best so far). We may try some posed shots with the Lensbaby for their upcoming CD. (The quartet is from the group fEARnoMUSIC, website at [fearnomusic.org].)

If I had used a wide angle on the musicians, I'd have risked being poked with a bow. I would have used a telephoto to allow me to step back a little, if I had one.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today