16 hours ago by ranfoto

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Lensbabies flowers

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Lensbabies flowers posted by pedrhole August 04, 2004 01:11AM reply | quote
posted by pedrhole
Hi everybody!
Here I am again with some new pics. I love flowers and I love using lensbabies very much too. So i tried to put these two things together... What do you think about this "marriage"?
Bye,
Danilo.
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by Craig (Admin) August 04, 2004 01:54PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Danilo,

I love the glowing highlights in the first image a lot. Against the black background the effect is obvious.

I think flowers and your Lensbaby can work well together. My thought about most flower images that I have seen is that they do not take full advantage of the uniqueness of the Lensbaby's image qualities. Putting one object on it's own plane of focus and placing your sweet spot over that object leaves one to wonder what the out of focus areas would look like with a normal lens and would they bee much different. Including detail in your third image that the edges of the image can distort and diffuse allows for a more obviously Lensbaby effect. Whether this is what you are after or more of a subtle effect combining the diffusion with unknown out of focus areas is up to you.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more.

Have a super day.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by DavidF August 05, 2004 08:16AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

I like the third one, possibly because of the creative background, and also because its not your classis "pretty" flower image--much more compelling I think. What lensbaby aperture were you using here?

regards, David.
[www2.whidbey.com]
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by pedrhole August 06, 2004 12:36AM reply | quote
posted by pedrhole
First of all thanks a lot for the good feedbacks I've received.

I used an f4 lensbaby.
I read in your profile that you like pinhole photos.
If you want you could take a look to the pinhole section in my website:

www.fotolobiettivo.com

Thanks again

Danilo Pedruzzi
Re: flowers - wondering about Craig's comment posted by DavidF August 06, 2004 05:50AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Craig, I was wondering about your comment above, that started with:

"My thought about most flower images that I have seen is that they do not take full advantage of the uniqueness of the Lensbaby's image qualities."

I didn't quite get what advice/suggest you were making if any, and I wasn't sure about "object on its own plane of focus" (being fairly new to photography). Any other thoughs/suggestions here?

Regards, David
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by Craig (Admin) August 10, 2004 09:45AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

David,

Thanks for your question about my input on the flower images.

There are a couple of ways to approach your Lensbaby's funky edges. One is to photograph scenes where the edges should be in focus but obviously are not due to the Lensbaby effect, thus giving you an image that has qualities about it you cannot acheive with a standard lens. One example is seen here:

[image]http://strongphotography.com/forumpics/20040731_0737c.JPG[/image]
(I'm trying a different way of posting here, will edit my post and remove the image if it does not work out for anyone because of screen dimensions, etc.)

Shooting a single flower that is at a dramatically different distance from the camera from other flowers or subject matter around that flower gives a different effect than a normal lens but, since the lensbaby effect is in areas of the image that would normally be blurred with a standard lens, one is left to wonder how different that image is than a normal lens photo of that flower. This is totally valid as it gives a more subtle funkyness to your images in the non-sweet-spot area of your Lensbaby image.

What I want to alert new users to is that the effect of their Lensbaby is most obvious when your subject matter is at a similar distance to your camera. For instance, if you were shooting a brick wall straight on you could only get a small circle of sharpness to show up somewhere in the image while the rest of the image would get funky and unique when compared to a non-Lensbaby photograph. Similarly, two people or flowers or cars or whatever with the sweet-spot over one of them and the other person/flower/car/whatever, at the same distance from the camera would be blurred dramatically and the image would scream "Lensbaby!" which I like.

Hope this clears up my earlier comments.

Have a super day.

-Craig

Post Edited (08-11-04 10:48)

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by Craig (Admin) August 10, 2004 09:49AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Okay,

That did not work so here is the image:

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by DavidF August 10, 2004 11:05AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Thanks for clarification Craig.

What I'm gleening from your response is that when you shoot objects at different distances from the camera, the lensbaby effect could be inturpreted as looking much like a narrow depth of field. Whereas shooting objects at the same distance from lens gives a more pronounced "lensbaby" feel to the image. Is that correct?

In either case, it also seems to me that the 'soft focus' quality of this lens is unique and different from either narrow DOF or soft focus filter effects.

I appreciate you sharing more "technical" aspects; there is a lot I can do with just experimenting and playing, and seeing others' images, but sometimes a bit more detailed discussion is great.

Thanks, David.
Re: Lensbabies flowers posted by Craig (Admin) August 10, 2004 12:49PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

David,

That is exactly what I was getting at.

Have a great one.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today