Latest Post

2 days ago by Josh-LB

Re: Macro

view post

Alternative wide adapters

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Alternative wide adapters posted by sgdude May 21, 2004 12:26AM reply | quote
posted by
I just received my Lensbaby (for use on a Nikon D70), and had to go out immediately to get a wide adapter. I couldn't find the Sony 0.6x unit, but I think it is not wide enough anyway for the Lensbaby on a DSLR. But I did find a 0.45x semi fish-eye conversion lens made by Vitacon with the correct 37mm outside thread. It is the Titanium 1045N.

The lens comes in two parts. If you unscrew the front lens element you get macro capability.

The cost was SGD140 (including 4% GST), or about USD80.

Cokin makes a slightly wider 0.43 adapter, also with macro capability. I didn't ask for the price.

/Ben

Re: Alternative wide adapters posted by Cassandra May 21, 2004 10:05AM reply | quote
posted by
I hadn't thought of that when I ordered one (Sony VCL-0637H) for my new Lensbaby to use on my D70. If that's the case then I may have to send it back. :(

Actually it will work fine. The Lensbaby on a D70 is more like 75mm so with the Sony wide angle I'm guessing it will be closer to 50mm.

Post Edited (05-22-04 17:12)
Re: Alternative wide adapters posted by sgdude May 23, 2004 07:09AM reply | quote
posted by
Yes you are right. The Lensbaby is about 75mm on the D70. With the Vitacon 0.45x adapter the effective focal length comes down to about 33.75mm. It's OK, but I sure would like to have something a little wider, around about 24 - 28mm effective. Maybe Craig will be able to put together a set of adapters that gives us DSLR owners a nice range of focal lengths.

Oh, by the way, you have to be careful with the Vitacon adapter. If you bend the Lensbaby's tube too far the edge of the adapter comes into view!
Re: Alternative wide adapters posted by marcjutras May 25, 2004 03:22PM reply | quote
posted by
I just received my lensbaby and based on the experiences from users of this board, I went to my local photo store right away to get a wide angle adapter. I got a Raynox HD-3030PRO which has a 0.3X factor.

On my 10D, this gives me approximately a 24mm equivalent. At first, I thought it might be too wide but it is not. I really like it. It can produce pretty wild deformations and very strong perspectives. It's also very useful in small places.

Post Edited (05-26-04 20:24)
No Subject posted by jwkphoto June 11, 2004 11:57AM reply | quote
posted by jwkphoto

Post Edited (06-27-04 10:43)
No Subject posted by jwkphoto June 11, 2004 12:10PM reply | quote
posted by jwkphoto

Post Edited (06-27-04 10:44)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today