Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

4 hours ago by PBlais

Sweet 50 with marco rings

view post

Which converter(s) other find most useful?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by picnic December 20, 2005 03:32AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
I haven't played with my LB too much in past days--but I have it in my bag to carry most of the time now (along with the fast small primes I usually carry instead of my zooms).

So--I've been considering which converter most find most useful. I really love the 2 macros that won the contest--wonder if the WA that has the macro use offered here on the LB site is one others use. I've found other converters around for it, but am curious about amount of usage. I doubt if I would use the tele too much--I'm always inclined to use my WA lenses more. Since I'm already using a crop cam (well, several, but they are all 1.6x), a 50 is basically an 85 for me---so I would like to get closer to a 28mm (which would put me closer to a 'real' FF 50mm)or the Tokina looks as though it will get me near 38mm for 1.6 crop body.

For those that missed it---if you have a set of extender tubes, they are very good for macro shots with the LB 'as is'. Not sure if I posted this before as an example or not
[www.pbase.com]

While I'm asking--also wonder which aperture rings--if any---others find most useful. I started out using 2.8 a lot--but have been shooting with 5.6

Diane
[www.pbase.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 03:37AM by picnic.
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by Brian with an Eye December 20, 2005 03:48AM reply | quote
posted by Brian with an Eye

Hi Diane,

I'm an f4 guy. But if using a wide, then a 5.6 or f8 guy. As I understand it, a wide lens clamps down the sweet spot area so I go with a 5.6 or 8 to help.
I've not found a great wide yet. The Kenko .43 I have comes apart for macro use & the macro is great. The wide is nice on top of the +4 macro. But all my "regular" LB shots with the wide on have a more milky/dreamy feel. ...which can be cool but I'd like a little sharper one.

Perhaps a wide LB is in the works? ..I'm in, if so.

Here's an example of a milky wide angle shot. It works on this Civil War era home though. It's also through a car window, if I remember correctly & I know that contributes to the "fog."
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by dstearn December 20, 2005 03:57AM reply | quote
posted by dstearn

Hi Diane,

I have had mine for less than a week. I bought the Raynox WA and Tele kit and the macro kit as well.

I have found that the macro kit stacked can provide some outstanding macros. I have also used the 4+ and 10+ adapters seperately depending on how close I wanted to get to the subject.

When I have used the macros I have shot in 2.0 so that I could handhold the lens.

I have used the WA adapter with the 5.6 adapter and 2.8 adapter. The 5.6 is sharper and is my preference with the WA .

I have not used the tele adapter yet.

The reason I went with the Raynox was that I was told my Kristen at LB that it was lighter than the Tokina and that it was Craig's favorite WA.

www.stearnphotography.smugmug.com
www.pbase.com/dstearn
[www.betterphoto.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 01:08PM by dstearn.
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by picnic December 20, 2005 04:08AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
<<<But all my "regular" LB shots with the wide on have a more milky/dreamy feel. ...which can be cool but I'd like a little sharper one. >>>>

I really prefer the shots with a sharp focus area--so I guess I may need to call Kristin and see what her feeling about the converters is. Hopefully someone will mention if they have the Tokina. It appears to me that one must stop down a bit more with the WA converters--and in some instances, that may require a tripod (which I found useful for my low light shots).

Thanks for your input.

Diane

Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by Rob with camera December 20, 2005 10:14AM reply | quote
posted by Rob with camera

Diane

I wouldn't be without the .45x converter at the moment. I found one branded "Giotto" which the guys at various camera shops here in Melbourne seem to think are pretty good.

I'm assuming the .45x Tokina would be virtually the same.

I also have a 1.6x crop factor (Canon 20d) and would really prefer something wider. I tried a "clip on" .3x converter which just didn't work i.e., all was totally blurry and focus not possible.

Cool.

Rob
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by Craig (Admin) December 20, 2005 12:43PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

As Dave mentioned, the Raynox kit is my favorite. What I like about the wide is that, in addition to being very sharp and contrasty, it can be turned around backwards and held in place with the 37mm threads facing out to produce a very exagerated Lensbaby look (more blur on the edges) with a telephoto field of view. The telephoto turned around backwards produces a wide that vignettes quickly if you are bending your Lensbaby and also gives barrel (fisheye) distortion to the image.

The Tokina is sharp and contrasty but is too big for me to have on all the time and I like to have my Lensbaby loaded with a Raynox 0.65x mounted at all times since I don't find that it degrades the image much if at all with any added diffusion or softness in the sweet spot.

I don't find that the Raynox 0.65x needs to be shot stopped down.

Here is a gallery of images from the Motley Cr¸e concert shot with either the Raynox wide or the Raynox wide turned around backwards to give me a telephoto view. A few may have been shot with just the Lensbaby but I doubt it. All were shot wide open (f2.0): [www.strongphoto.com]The first three starting with the one I am linking to are shot with the wide backwards then there is a series shot with the wide screwed on normally. Click on the up button above the image to see the whole gallery as thumbnails.

Have a super day.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by AJ December 20, 2005 12:52PM reply | quote
posted by AJ

The Crue huh....I had no idea Craig! Is that the real Nikki Sixx that posts on here?

I'm going to take your advice on the Raynox kit as well. I need a wider angle soon. Thanks.

Peace and Happiness
AJ

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 12:57PM by AJ.
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by ranfoto December 20, 2005 01:55PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

AJ.....that is Motley NIKKIbabe, check out the concert pics in search.

Diane.....if you intend to image mostly dreamy Baby blurs, what the LB is famous for, then the .65X combo is the way to go as Craig stated.

My favorite has always been the .45X Tokina type converter because of its ability to get the widest "converter" Baby image. Because it is heavier glass it takes a little more hand manipulation in focusing, but I use it a lot.

The Macro primary part of the .45X is very macro, so you will want to also have LB Macro Kit because you can attach modifiers or other converter lenses to the 37mm front threads. The Tokina macro has no female 37mm threads on the front of it. My +4 is almost wornout because it is used so much to get closer with my converter lenses.

This topic of what add on lenses to have, will go on and on......the biggest point to remember is what do you like and how to you make that image happen !

Ones toolbox is a very personal matter and only you can determine what works and what doesn't for "D" Vision, try everything, hopefully before you plunk down your money.......Craig doesn't sell a lot of converters, but the ones he does have available are easily the best flavor for Lensbaby dreamblurs and especially useful for the majority of the images you will want to create.
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by Craig (Admin) December 20, 2005 03:21PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm with Randy that the converters are very personal choices. I love my Raynox kit because I use it all the time and have chosen to be thrilled with the effects that it gives me.

I love that the various apertures give you such dramatically different looks and then you add a conversion lens and change apertures there and get more looks. It's exponential. Can I talk about Lensbabies like this and have it not come across as cheesy marketing? I hope so because I use mine all the time and have lots of opinions and perspectives as a user.

I have at least 3 dozen conversion lenses that I have tested and occasionally use. Sometimes I use one with a completely different optical design for awhile and think it is going to replace my Raynox but I keep coming back.

And, yes, that is the real Nikki Sixx. It is a privilege to have him apart of our community. He's a good man.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 03:22PM by Craig.
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by ranfoto December 20, 2005 05:38PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Craig.....you cheesy ? Do you want that super sized too ? Naw ! As long as you are passionate about creating images and also working as an imagemaker your words of wisdom are as good as gold, gems that sparkle, who else but the originator of the Magic Bendy Baby to recommend what floats and what washes overboard ?

If real cheese were your bag, then you could be selling lots of cheapo modifiers.

A case in point : There are lots of ways to make macro images, but the little +4 and +10 close up kit is just perfect because it is so versatile and the converters for better or worse can be screwed right on top for great effects.

Well now I'm starting to sound a little cheesy, but cheesy or not I love it when you post words of wisdom.

Your technique of turning the wideangle around, reversing the glass, was a fabulous, incredible, wonderful, and amazing tip. Why ? Because the imaging effects are so different and with only one Lensbaby, a single converter in the pocket you can be very mobile grab almost any perspective.....wide, middle, and medium tele and not worry about anything but the action at hand, just focus and compose.

It doesn't get much better then that when you have to image fast, no it's not a bloomin zoomin lens, but it's blurrrrinly close and much more artful for my taste.

Please cheesy burgers are fattening and so delicious, but you don't have to eat the fries, so yes make mine a double double with extra cheese Baby !

I could also go for some cheesecake, Oops.....better watch my weight !
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by picnic December 20, 2005 08:59PM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Thanks Craig. Nothing like getting it straight from 'the horse's mouth', so to speak LOL. I wondered about the weight on the end. Its a bit of a stretch, even now, for me to manipulate, so I don't want to make it a great deal harder. also appreciated the tips for use.

Enjoyed the Crue album, BTW.

Diane
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by Craig (Admin) December 21, 2005 02:33AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Diane,

Glad to be your "Mr. Ed" when it comes to conversion lenses.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by lazar December 27, 2005 02:16PM reply | quote
posted by lazar

Hi All,
What about Raynox .3 HD-3030PRO? I am not crop guy, so I can step up to 15 mm!
Lazar
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by picnic December 27, 2005 08:28PM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Lazar, are you using film or a FF digital body? I found that converter for $117 USD---but I had already ordered (and just received last night) the Raynox tele/wide set plus the macro set from LB. I'm curious if you are using the .3 converter for some of your shots.

Diane
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by russmorris December 28, 2005 12:56AM reply | quote
posted by russmorris

A little late to the party, but I'm using the Tokina add-on. Have been for a year It works well for WA, close-ups and macro. I keep the f4 disc in both my LBs. You can see examples of my LB work on flickr

I am however, planning to add the Raynox kit to my bag in the near future.
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by lazar December 28, 2005 03:01AM reply | quote
posted by lazar

Diane,
I want the .3 converter for my Maxxum 7 film body on LB 2, or .5 HD-5000PRO.

Huge and good LB stuff you did Russ, I like it very much!

Lazar

Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by russmorris December 28, 2005 03:59AM reply | quote
posted by russmorris

Thanks, lazar!
Re: Which converter(s) other find most useful? posted by Craig (Admin) December 28, 2005 04:50PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

The HD3030 is not a .3. The Tokina is quite a bit wider.

The labeling even of these expensive converters is all over the board as far as accuracy and the labeling on this one is agregious in my opinion.

It is very sharp and allows a lot of tilt without vignetting. I would not recommend it, however.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today