Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 days ago by jffoto

Re: Tulipmania

view post

The new Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye

Newer Topic | Older Topic

The new Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye posted by Joe Nation April 10, 2014 03:55AM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

I'm very excited about this new lens. Along with the new iphone lens, I'm glad to see that LB's R&D folk are working on all sorts of new stuff (with more to come I hope).

The 5.8mm has a great form factor, and even better optics. I'm loving the flare in particular. And close focus is a quarter of an inch?! Can't wait.

But seriously guys, Canikon only? There's no electronics, and I'm guessing no auto aperture or other mechanical connections (correct me if I'm wrong). So why not use the same mounting plate design as the bendy lenses and have the whole range of lens mounts? Can we please have the other mounts too (to quote the Composer Pro page, that would be Sony Alpha A, Pentax K , Olympus 4/3, micro 4/3rds, Sony NEX, Samsung NX)?

(For the record, I understand if making it work with mirrorless is a step too far, but the full frame/APS-C SLRs shouldn't be a challenge).
Re: The new Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye posted by Kirsten (Admin) April 10, 2014 08:03AM reply | quote
posted by Kirsten

Hi Joe,

We would love to put one of these in the hands of every photographer no matter what camera they have. Historically our sales are 95% Canon and Nikon. That's a huge majority we have to consider when manufacturing parts for new products. As always, we want to hear from our customers and we do take their request seriously.

Kirsten Hunter
Director of Customer Happiness

See more of my work on my blog:
www.livefrombeechstreet.blogspot.com
Re: The new Lensbaby 5.8mm fisheye posted by Joe Nation April 12, 2014 02:36AM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

I completely understand that Canikon is a huge sector and as a business you have to make money.

But here's where I'm getting a bit lost (if there's a good reason why this isn't workable, please do explain). All the Lensbabies I've handled (Muse, Composer and Composer Pro) feature the same design at the lens mount: a flat plate with three small screws to attach the mounting plate to the main lens body. This means that - as I have done - one could purchase two lenses with different mounts and switch them over.

Why, if there is no connection between lens and camera except the bayonet, would you change this brilliantly simple piece of design? And if you have not changed it, why market the new lens as only coming with Canon or Nikon mounts?

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great product. And as luck would have it I shot Pentax so I could just loose-fit a Nikon-mount lens. But you have a very clever piece of design that could do you many favours (like a mount for almost any small-format camera ever made), and I hope we never loose it.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today