8 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Fisheye Star Trails

view post

Ken Rockwell

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Ken Rockwell posted by Mike Bokeh April 02, 2014 03:27AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Hello, everyone.

If you've never heard of him, I'd like to introduce you to Ken Rockwell.

If you already know him, I'd like to know what you think of him.

I think he's got a very down to earth, common sense approach to photography; others don't agree.

Check out his site: [www.kenrockwell.com]

He has some articles which will make you think.

One point I strongly disagree with him on is the use of tripods.

He says they've gone the way of Kodachrome 25, I say they're invaluable for long exposures, and consistent frame-to-frame images. Click on, "How To Take Better Pictures," and then click on, "How To Carry Less."

I think almost everyone will learn something they can use in their day-to-day photography.

So, what do you think?

Mike

Lensbabies make you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 03:28AM by Mike Bokeh.
Re: Ken Rockwell posted by Kirsten (Admin) April 02, 2014 06:36AM reply | quote
posted by Kirsten

I have visited his site many times over the years.

Kirsten Hunter
Director of Customer Happiness

See more of my work on my blog:
www.livefrombeechstreet.blogspot.com
Re: Ken Rockwell posted by TG-J (Admin) April 03, 2014 12:39PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Mike, every time I hear that name I am reminded of the Flintstones. :) tony
Re: Ken Rockwell posted by ranfoto April 03, 2014 01:02PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

He's a very knowledgeable picture taker, his technical advice
gives you insight on what works for him, but as in all things you must decide what works best for you .

Disclosure: he recommends my former partners photo processing lab ....he wasn't given any special deals to recommend the lab work done.....so I feel he says what he believes is true .

But just because someone says something is the best, don't go out and spend your hard earned money until you see the product for yourself .....todays marketing knows the power of testimonial hype.....get to know who makes the products you want to purchase .

Do not be just a follower.....think things out for yourself, but don't be afraid to try new products and new ideas...

A decade ago I was looking for a way to do some quick close up work ....I wanted a tool beside extension tubes or a copy bellows ....I happened to discover a new tool called the Lensbaby .

It wasn't exactly made to do close up work, so I modified it to do the job I wanted it to do.....and I also happened to become quite passionate about using this new tool to make images that expressed my "aRt" better then all those super sharp optics the camera makers were trying to sell us to make better images .

I'm sure Mr. Rockwell believes that we should all find the best tools to produce "Our" own style of imaging.....and opinions will always be based on our own judgments not just facts....

Are digital images better then film images ?

Is a full frame sensor better then 4/3rds ?

Um'....sort of depends.....is the new Lensbaby I/phone optic the new wave of the future ?

What would Ken say ? Do you care or are you going to have some fun with the newest tools from the land of "Bending" ?

Just wondering.....:) ?
Re: Ken Rockwell posted by Mike Bokeh April 04, 2014 02:57AM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Kristen, thanks for your reply.

Tony, I never thought about the Flintstone connection! {:^)

Ranfoto, That was a very well written, thought provoking response!

If I may ask, how did you modify your Lensbaby?

When I first found Ken's site, I learned more than a few things; his site is full of helpful tips.

His opinions are there between almost every line he writes, and I respect them.

However, when it came to his not liking tripods, Ken and I cannot share a cab. {:^D

But, I'm sure Ken has made a lot more money as a photographer than I.

Let's keep the conversation going.

Mike

Re: Ken Rockwell posted by ranfoto April 04, 2014 12:21PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Mike:

Re: Original LB mods =

1. Remove LB optic, made a special tool to unscrew the lens retainers, add 80 mm Nikon enlarging lens, inner threads on the LB match 39mm . Craig used old school thinking...thank you craig !

2. Lets just say....all the mods I've made give er' take a few are documented in my 8000 ++ posts here over the last ten years ! You're welcome to check them all out .

3. There used to be a FAQ section on this Forum where many of the mods I made could be found, but that section was deleted some time ago when new upgrades where made to the LB Forum .....so use the search section, do we still have search ?

This Forum used to be very busy....the main page changed several times daily.....so many posts .

Sorry to say....times have changed, people don't post much anymore, but I'm sure interest is still very high....but interest in mods is now very low .

The Lensbaby Team does a very nice job of keeping new tools fun and interesting .....I just happen to be one of those Benders that likes to tinker and change my tools .

Craig did build me some special Lensbaby's that I requested, but times have changed ....it's all about engineering and tooling up today....so I built my own machine shop and fab shop to play ....I make lots of one off camera gear now or when the mood strikes to image in a new direction .

I have purchased just about every Lensbaby item ever made, as it's more an addiction then a need....be warned once you go down that path....just think how addicted Craig is....

If you noticed he's now adding LB optic systems to cel-phone cameras ....how addicted is that ? :0

Fun is addictive though .

By the way, my Original LB copy lens is still quite useful and does a great job of making close ups ...fast and sharp :) .
Re: Ken Rockwell posted by Mike Bokeh April 05, 2014 01:47PM reply | quote
posted by Mike Bokeh

Holy Batman!

I still have an 80mm Nikkor enlarging lens from the days when we photographers used a darkroom instead of Lightroom.

I don't know if I'm going to try to do the mods you did, ranphoto, as you sound more adept at tinkering than I. But it's nice to know it can be done.

I'm very happy with the results I'm getting with my Lensbaby 3-G, the in camera post-processing effects in my Pentax K-01, and Lightroom. Check out the mask and soldier photos in my profile.

As for this forum being slow, I noticed this for the last year or so. I joined here in 2008, and the pages did turn over much faster then than they are doing so now. I'm trying to post threads that will get as many people to respond as possible, and perhaps come back here more often; you know - the snowball downhill effect. I posted a music interest thread, but no takers so far.

Thanks again for a thorough, well-written reply.

We will talk again.

Mike {;^D

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today