Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

14 hours ago by barb

Re: getting started with lens baby

view post

Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question posted by assa123 October 19, 2013 04:38AM reply | quote
posted by assa123
Hi everyone!
Quite a simple question, but I want to confirm anyway.
Is it true that a dedicated Lensbaby for Micro 4/3s system is equivalent to a 100mm lens on a 35mm full frame camera?
In other words, if I have a Lensbaby on a fullframe dslr and compare it to a Lensbaby for Micro 4/3s camera, the later will be like a 1/2 crop of the first one or (in other words) have an angle of view 2 times smaller?
Re: Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question posted by sr patife October 19, 2013 05:49AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

The question you are asking, happens with all lenses, not only Lensbaby optics.

check this for further info [en.wikipedia.org]

the focal lens of lensbaby optics are variable (from 12/35/50/80mm plus a few others if you add the telephoto/wide and super wide adapter).

to sum it up quickly:
full frame DSLR = real focal length of lense.
crop frame DSRL = the focal length of the lenses multiplied by 1.6x.
Micro 4/3s = the focal length of the lenses multiplied by 2x (not completely sure about this, but from what i read the crop factor is 2).

any other questions, just ask.
have a nice weekend

Nuno Caldeira
Lensbaby Lovers
leavesfromthepresentpast
Re: Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question posted by assa123 October 19, 2013 07:25AM reply | quote
posted by assa123
Thanks! That's exactly what I thought.
I'm a long term Lensbaby fan, but it looks like unless Lensbaby decides to make a scaled-down version of optical swap system there are not many practical uses of current products in mirrorless cameras because of the dramatic decrease in the angle of view. Maybe that'll be quite a market as the trend is high towards small mirrorless systems, so please consider.
Re: Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question posted by sr patife October 19, 2013 08:50AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

Glad to help.

Permit me to disagree, i think users that use micro 4/3s cameras are aware of the crop factor in these cameras. Obviously its a easier body to take with you, but to be honest i dont like it because of its ergonomic feel and the crop factor. Lensbaby and any others lenses brands are, for sure, aware of the M4/3s niche market, but doing specific focal lengths optic/lenses for this type of camera is kinda redundant im my opinion, because the issue is on the camera and not the lenses. The difference in crop frame factor, even between a crop frame DSRL and a full frame DSLR is huge.

For example check "Q. What will my Lensbaby images look like with a full frame sensor camera vs a crop sensor camera?" in here [lensbaby.com]

The camera "boosts" the lenses, not the other way around :).

Have a nice weekend

Nuno Caldeira
Lensbaby Lovers
leavesfromthepresentpast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 08:51AM by sr patife.
Re: Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question posted by assa123 October 19, 2013 10:33PM reply | quote
posted by assa123
That's right, but with one substantial note. Micro 4/3s doesn't have any crop factor in its own world. It's not like APS-c in dslr realm. If you look at the Micro 4/3s sensor it occupies almost all of the available image circle that its mount provides (limited to where the contact pins are). The crop arises when you mount a 35mm-format lens on this camera via flange adapter. Apart from that it's just a smaller fullframe camera. As they are getting more and more popular and powerful they will replace dslrs in more and more applications. On the Lensbaby side there could easily be 'small swap optic system' that would satisfy all current mirrorless formats because of similarity in size. Why have I become so keen on that? Because I started to find it harder and harder to carry my Canon FF camera and all the things that go with it, huge lenses, Zacuto evf and all that. My fingers ache from holding this monster. And the only thing that stops me from going all the way to mirrorless is the lack of a proper Lensbaby )
Re: Composer Pro for Micro 4/3s question posted by sr patife October 20, 2013 08:17AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

nice discussion, with fair arguments. i understand your point of view. :)

Nuno Caldeira
Lensbaby Lovers
leavesfromthepresentpast

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today