2 hours ago by Chelle

Re: Perth Royal Show

view post

Fisheye lens caps...

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Fisheye lens caps... posted by Lumina October 09, 2013 08:47AM reply | quote
posted by Lumina
Hi,

I just bought the fisheye optic and I'm confused! Unlike the other optics, it comes with a front lens cap... which makes it feel like it should have a back one too... (just like the tele, wide and super wide converters) but mine doesn't!! I sent an email to the help staff at lensbaby and got a confusing response that basically said NONE of the optics have ANY lens caps!! Well mine DOES!! But just the front one!! Can someone else who owns the fisheye please tell me which, if any caps yours came with? I bought it from a camera store and not direct from lensbaby and I'm just a bit worried the store have ripped me off.

Thanks. :-)
Re: Fisheye lens caps... posted by Islander164 October 09, 2013 09:36AM reply | quote
posted by Islander164
I purchased the edge 80 optic. Came in a plastic case and only the front lens cap_ no rear cap.

All other optics have came with no caps at all, just the plastic case with removal tool.

When I bought my composer, it came with the double glass optic installed and front cap only.

Hope this helps.
Re: Fisheye lens caps... posted by Outback October 09, 2013 10:41AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Lumina,

You were not ripped off.

I suspect there may be confusion over some terminology. The 'optics' that are part of the optic swap system (DG,SG, Plastic, Soft Focus, ZP, etc.)come with protective cases and no lens caps.

A 'Lensbaby' logo front and rear cap comes when you buy the complete Composer (and presumably Composer Pro and other lens housings). For the record, I own all the above. I also own the Tele, Wide and Superwide lenses which do come with front and rear caps. The difference as I see it is these lens adjuncts do not come with protective cases (don't fit in them if I recall correctly)and need the front/rear caps to protect the glass.

I also own the Fish Eye lens and it has a single, front cap. In this case the lens itself fits within an outer housing. The lens is screwed out to drop in the aperture and then reassembled. I keep the FE in a Scout housing which has a rear cap.

I hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll post some images.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: Fisheye lens caps... posted by Lumina October 09, 2013 10:54AM reply | quote
posted by Lumina
Ok. Thanks, guys. Yes, that really helps! :-) Yes, I own pretty much everything in the range now too with the exception of the edge 80 and sweet 35 and I only have the composer pro body but I have everything else. It was because I owned almost all the other optics and also all the other converters that I was confused. I think I now understand the logic behind it. The fisheye needs a front cap for two reasons 1. It is very flat and the front element is very close to the front of the optic's body and thus is would scratch in the plastic case and 2. The lens body's (in my case, composer pro's) own lens cap will not fit onto the camera when the fisheye is installed as with this, unlike the other optics, the front glass protrudes beyond the lens body at closest focus and is level with it at infinity. I suppose it doesn't need a rear cap any more than the other optics since it comes in a plastic case, unlike the converters which are supplied with pouches only. I suppose that's why it isn't shipped with one... but that is confusing. It really should state that somewhere on the box. Ok... anyway... all is good. And thanks again for your kind help. Happy Photography!! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 10:55AM by Lumina.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today