Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

3 hours ago by rusteer

rims

view post

What about adaptions to Nikon d5100

Newer Topic | Older Topic

What about adaptions to Nikon d5100 posted by WeForNikonD5100 May 05, 2013 12:49AM reply | quote
posted by WeForNikonD5100
Hello, since we have not seen or read anything with regard to the flexibility of Lensbaby to the Nikon d5100, thought this would be a good topic to start?

Can you show us a video/demo of how Lensbaby may be useful of Nikon d5100 enthusiasts? Keeping in mind it can/may apply for other Nikon models as well.

Thank you!
Re: What about adaptions to Nikon d5100 posted by WeForNikonD5100 May 05, 2013 01:01AM reply | quote
posted by WeForNikonD5100
Ok, so far, the "BASIC CAMERA SET UP WITH LENSBABY" video has given "some" ideas. Here is the link for that video from this same website.

[lensbaby.com]

Now, what we would like to see is a similar vid but using the Nikon D5100.
Re: What about adaptions to Nikon d5100 posted by ranfoto May 05, 2013 04:32AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

The Lensbaby only exposes in the manual mode on the D5100 Nikon body .

You will get a message of lens not attached if in any other mode.... end of story.

But manual is really the best mode to be creative in....so get to it ....have some fun !

Not sure which Lensbaby to purchase....? Start with a Spark,
add a few optics later or as you feel inclined to open up your vision .

The aRt of Bending is never about the particular tool you use, but all about what you see and envision your image to say.....or just picture it :) .
Re: What about adaptions to Nikon d5100 posted by jet_black82 September 02, 2014 07:50PM reply | quote
posted by jet_black82
The problem of all cammeras that dont mesure light on the cammera itself but on the lens is that you will have to guess (try and try) what sutter speed you'll have to use... I have a D5100 and i've regretted not to spend more in a D7000 only because of this. For this reason i would not advise anyone to buy a non "automatic" lens.

Cheers.
Re: What about adaptions to Nikon d5100 posted by PBlais September 07, 2014 02:41AM reply | quote
posted by PBlais
I shot with a D5200 for a while using Lensbaby and the answer to non chipped lenses is - get a manual light meter! PIck up an old school manual light meter from ebay ($30). If you can get one that uses modern batteries it will save you money. When I first started with my D5200 doing it all manually without a meter it was hard. I still had fun and kept at it.

Learning a manual light meter is pretty easy if you already understand ISO / Shutter speed / Aperture. You set the ISO on the meter, point at something , and press the button and finally twist the dials so they line up. You now have program mode for every aperture / shutter speed. Just dial the two in through M mode. This will get you very close.

Next big item - shoot raw! Always would be a good rule of thumb. You'll get another stop of light or so to play with in post. When in doubt go a little under. Once you get a general exposure working you don't need to mess with it too much unless you change aperture or ISO. You can still review a histogram to make sure. The meter will keep you in the ball park always!

The last thing I did was get a Hoodman loupe for the back of the camera. You then shoot in live view and zoom in a few levels to manually focus. This will let you find your sweet spot and nail the focus there. Through the camera eye piece it is small and hard to know where the sweet spot really is. The lensbaby focus is harder than the exposure.

I now shoot a D7100 and have the metering through the lens. It really hasn't vastly changed my Lensbaby shooting. Focus is still the same game. The brain part of the process is where the real work is anyway. You think a little harder to shoot a Lensbaby no matter what camera you use. It's just more fun seeing in a new way!

For a starter body I would go Composer Pro and learn to lock it straight ahead for the initial time. A very small amount of tilt goes a very long way. Start with none and you'll still be seeing cool stuff. I also have a Scout I picked up cheap. I like it with the 12mm Fisheye since it really does not tolerate much tilt. You might find an older Composer for less money. It's OK too but if you could feel a Composer Pro you would know why it's better. It's really got a pro lens feel to the focus and that is all any of the bodies do.

If you only get one optic then Sweet 35, Double Glass, or Plastic are go to optics for about anything. Sweet 35 and Edge 80 are serious quality glass. Plastic is seriously off the chart for fun effects. Double Glass is more formal but still very flexible.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today