Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

9 hours ago by PBlais

Sweet 50 with marco rings

view post

Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot! posted by SigridA April 29, 2013 11:51PM reply | quote
posted by SigridA
I was trying out the Muse today and as much as I tried, I did not manage to get any spot of my photos sharp. The "sharp spot" was extremely soft, even glowing strangely.
This was the best result I could get, with the f5,6 disc. With f4 and more open it was mission impossible.

Is there something wrong with my camera?
It works just fine with the more traditional lenses.
Re: Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot! posted by Anonymous User April 30, 2013 12:59AM reply | quote
posted by
1) Which optic are you using? If it has a green ring on the front it is the double glass which should be very sharp at f/5.6. If it has a yellow (single glass) or blue (plastic) optic it will not be very sharp even in the center. [lensbaby.com]

2) Is your viewfinder diopter adjusted correctly? Also, did you try live view? [lensbaby.com]

3) Try it outside in bring light and focus on something in the center of the frame and that can help for focusing practice.
Re: Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot! posted by SigridA April 30, 2013 01:52AM reply | quote
posted by SigridA
Thank you very much for the response!

1. The ring is blue, so it must be plastic. I am trying out a friend's Lensbaby, as I wanted to purchase my own (Composer Pro with double glass optic) but now I am really afraid to buy it.
2. Yes, I adjusted my diopter.
3. I tried it in bright light as well, but the image was still very very soft and with no really sharp focus point. It was a little bit better than the first one.

You think the image is not good because of the plastic optic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 01:52AM by SigridA.
Re: Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot! posted by Anonymous User (Moderator) April 30, 2013 02:09AM reply | quote
posted by
The plastic optic is designed to be very soft and not sharp. The double glass optic (and Sweet 35) both have a very sharp center surrounded by increasing blur.

Here is a comparison at f/5.6, you can see how much sharper the double glass (first) is compared to the plastic optic (second).

If you have more questions feel free to give us a call at 877-536-7222. You can also check out some more sample photos on our gallery

(photos by Lisa Smith)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 02:11AM by Paul @Lensbaby.
Re: Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot! posted by ranfoto April 30, 2013 06:30AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

The key to better "looking" soft focus optic images is to use harder lighting on the subject .

These images are over exposed under scattered light (very soft light) causing the highlights to blowout and the opened shadows don't add any drama to the subject.

Try under exposing to keep your highlights in the correct tonal range....your portrait studies will look beautiful even if soft ....it's not just the optics you use, it's about the rendering of the image that makes the difference.

Of course not everyone likes the way Lensbaby softies render, correct exposure helps the subject matter look good !
Re: Nikon d700 and Muse- no sharp spot! posted by TG-J (Admin) April 30, 2013 11:46PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Sigrid , if I may make a suggestion. Try taking the shot into Photoshop , converting them to B/W and pulling the black down. This should add more contrast & give them a sharper appearance. The plastic optic relies on apparent sharpness more than actual sharpness. It does take a while to get used to the techniques needed to get used to the different optics. :)tony

Hope you don't mind I just pulled it off the page, pulled the black down , the white up & desaturated a little. See now it appears a little sharper. With the plastic you can add quite a bit of contrast to enhance apparent sharpness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2013 12:02AM by TG-J.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today