Lensbaby Studio Forums

Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by RHWeiner February 23, 2013 02:57PM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Hi all,
I just picked up a Sweet 35 optic from a camera store clearing out Lensbaby lenses, optics and such. With a 30% savings I just couldn't resist. Now I'm not so sure about the purchase.

So I bought this earlier in the afternoon but only just opened the box and took the optic out of the plastic case. Playing with it I notice that the aperture ring is 'loose'. That is to say that it is not stuck but seems to wiggle easily when manipulating it. I can feel that there are indents in the ring to 'lock in' at the various apertures but this is not pronounced.

Is this ring not supposed to be somewhat tighter? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping that this is actually a common thing and is to be expected. I really don't want this to become a warranty thing. Like I said the store was selling out their Lensbaby stock and so probably don't want to have to deal with any warranty issues.

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by RHWeiner February 23, 2013 03:20PM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

A bit more clarification...the ring does turn but if you grip the body in one hand and the ring in the other you can 'bend' it back and forth a bit (not forcefully) Plus you can push/pull the ring into the body somewhat. That kind of loose is what I'm talking about.

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by RHWeiner March 01, 2013 08:04AM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Issue resolved by exchanging the loose lens with another that was somewhat tighter...better but not as tight as the Edge 80. I'm thinking that the 80 which has a similar construct as the 35 was reengineered to 'fix' this. At least now I've got a working 35. <end thread>

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by dcschooley June 12, 2013 12:49AM reply | quote
posted by dcschooley
I have a Sweet 35 that I bought when they came out, and the aperture ring is a bit loose on mine. I rented a couple more earlier this week for a demonstration and both of them had tighter aperture rings than mine. The indents at each f-stop were also more solid than on mine. Something may have changed in the manufacturing, and your clearance sale 35 may have been one of the early ones. I don't have an Edge 80 to compare, but I don't consider the wiggle on the Sweet 35 to be a problem.
Re: Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by RHWeiner June 12, 2013 01:38PM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Well in comparison to the 80 the aperture ring is looser and the indents are not as 'solid'. I found using it this past weekend that I had to doublecheck that I had the f stop I wanted more often than not. I think it's far too easy to accidentally move off the f stops. I guess I just will have to get used to this.

Personally though I think that Lensbaby should look into this with an eye on improving the ring or look into the Quality Control.

The 80 is no problem, the indents are pronounced, it takes a bit of effort to move off of the stops and the ring itself feels more solid.

Clearance price aside I still don't like feeling that I bought a substandard lens. Maybe it's only this production run? Without another newer copy of the lens there's no way to determine if what I am experiencing is 'normal' or a lemon.

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA
Re: Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by Kirsten (Admin) June 18, 2013 05:25AM reply | quote
posted by Kirsten

Anybody experiencing any problems with any Lensbaby product can get help by contacting our office directly or by following the warranty instructions here:

www.lensbaby.com/warranty

Kirsten Hunter
Director of Customer Happiness

See more of my work on my blog:
www.livefrombeechstreet.blogspot.com
Re: Sweet 35 ... 'loose' aperture ring? posted by RHWeiner July 16, 2013 01:36AM reply | quote
posted by RHWeiner

Hi Kirsten, Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since I last came on here so I'm only seeing your message now.

The place I got this (L&S) is not carrying the Lensbaby line at all now. So the only option I have is to mail this down to your office and let your people determine if this is a semi-dud or not. It's not that I can't use it at all but rather it feels just a bit too loose to me. I mean I could send this down only to hear that it's within quality parameters and it will be sent back to me as is.

Might be my only option.

(Just talked to Ken at Beau Photo and he's got a couple of the optics there. I'm going to take mine with me at lunch tomorrow and test it against those others to see if it's just mine or if it's a common issue with the ones he has. I'll send you the results in a message to this thread.)

RHW...Surrey, BC, CANADA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 02:10AM by RHWeiner.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today