Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

23 hours ago by ebby62

fishing

view post

What optic should I start with?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

What optic should I start with? posted by Conman December 21, 2012 01:54AM reply | quote
posted by Conman
I will be getting a lense baby composer pro soon bu am not sure what optic to get with it

What is the best optic to start with?
Double glass
Edge 80
Sweet 35
Or other
Re: What optic should I start with? posted by sr patife December 21, 2012 05:17AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

hi again Conman, mainly it depends of your budget and what kind of photography you gonna do.

Edge 80 is more expensive and allows you to simulate tiltshifting/miniature effects with it.

between the double glass optic and the Sweet 35, the main difference are the aperture system, while in the double glass you have to manually change the aperture disc using the swap tool, with the sweet 35 you get the traditional blade aperture system which allows you to quick select the perfect aperture for the photo.
keep in mind that the smaller the aperture, the less blur you get. while wider aperture means more blurry effect around the sweet spot.
Also it depends if you want to use creative apertures, its only possible to use those with the dougle glass optic (or with the other "old" optics: double glass, single glass or plastic).

Overall any of the three optics you named, are sharp, it all depends what you intend to do with it. Personally im used the the double glass optic, but the sweet 35 is also nice. basically all optics allows you to do different creative stuff. check the photo gallery and see what you can obtain using the different optic. Also this:
LB
DOUBLE GLASS OPTIC

Provides a tack-sharp Sweet Spot of focus with a graduated blur and minimum diffusion at all aperture settings.
50mm multi-coated optical glass doublet.
SWEET 35 OPTIC

35mm selective focus optic with a 12-blade adjustable aperture.
Creates a tack sharp Sweet Spot of focus surrounded by blur.
Widest focal length of any selective focus Lensbaby optic.

EDGE 80 OPTIC

80mm f/2.8 flat field of focus optic with a 12-blade adjustable aperture.
When tilted, Edge 80 delivers a slice of tack sharp focus through the image, bordered by a soft blur.
When pointed straight ahead the Edge 80 can be used just like a high-quality straight lens.

hope it helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 05:17AM by sr patife.
Re: What optic should I start with? posted by Conman December 21, 2012 07:29AM reply | quote
posted by Conman
cool thanks man i have pretty much decided it will be the composer pro with the sweet 35. the i may buy the edge 80 down the road swell as other optic swap kits down the road.

thanks
Re: What optic should I start with? posted by sr patife December 21, 2012 08:42AM reply | quote
posted by sr patife

think its a good choice, from there you can build your lensbaby collection.
take care

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today