5 hours ago by jffoto

Re: On the other side

view post

Lensbaby vs real lenses?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by Coco June 06, 2012 08:29PM reply | quote
posted by Coco

Hello,
I'm going on a small weekend trip (one night, one day) and my lensbaby composer pro + sweet 35 and edge 80 optics arrived a few days ago. Thanks to this forum and tons of other reviews I've read about it I was able to get some nice images right on the first day. I'm really enjoying this lens and can get the focus right pretty fast already.
I'm doubt if I should bring only my lensbabies with me or my normal lenses too (that would be the 50mm F1.4 and a wide angle lens for my dslr). I want to travel light since its only for one day and I'm going by train, if it was in my car I wouldn't have hesitated to bring all my lenses with me but now...

I think it would be a great exercise to bring only my lensbabies with me on the other hand I'm just afraid I would miss my normal lenses and since lensbabies do require some more effort and time before you can actually take a picture.

Have anybody done this on a small weekend trip and regret it afterwards? Or not...? Whats your normal gear to bring with you if you want to travel light?
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by chasmcn June 07, 2012 03:27PM reply | quote
posted by chasmcn
Hi Coco

I have just been away and i packed my lensbaby composer with my normal lenses and cursed myself for forgetting my other optics to use with it as i only had my double glass optic with a f4 disc so try and pack as much as you can ,iam thinking of buying a extra camera body to leave the LB on as i get fed up of keep changing lenses .
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by Marcum June 09, 2012 02:22AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

chasmcn
Hi Coco

I have just been away and i packed my lensbaby composer with my normal lenses and cursed myself for forgetting my other optics to use with it as i only had my double glass optic with a f4 disc so try and pack as much as you can ,iam thinking of buying a extra camera body to leave the LB on as i get fed up of keep changing lenses .

I agree here, were I limited on what to carry, it would be my 2 Pen E PL-1 cameras, my TT/C on one with the DG optic/&apertures (or the sweet 35) with macro converters, and a TT on the other with my 35 1.8 DX, 18-55mm and 55-200mm G DX Nikon lenses for the TT. Along with plenty of extra batteries (OM Pens drain them rapidly).

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by Bender June 09, 2012 07:52PM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Bring your normal and wide angle and also the Composer with Edge 80. That way you'll have three focal lengths covered and it's still a reasonably light kit. If you have room for two regular lenses you have room for the Composer too.

Peter
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by Coco June 10, 2012 12:51AM reply | quote
posted by Coco

Hey you guys, thanks for thinking with me, despite your advice I only brought my lensbabies with me. My friend who went with me isn't into photography and I knew she wouldn't want to stop for every single shot I wanted to take ;)
The wind was incredible, 7 bft and we were on the beach... so the only time I could change my lenses was when I was inside... I hardly dared to take photo's at all because the wind blew so much sand in my eyes... what would it do with my lenses :D ?

Had it been sunnier and less windy I would have brought my other lenses with me. I really wanted to take a night shot of the beach but it was just not comfortable to be at the beach at all. It was very unfortunate. But I've plenty of opportunities to go there again.
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by sumn_pink June 10, 2012 09:53PM reply | quote
posted by sumn_pink
Hi!
I think you can use Edge 80 as a normal lense without "bluring". Am I right? thank you
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by mamiflores91 June 28, 2012 10:41AM reply | quote
posted by mamiflores91
From my experience in forgetting to bring my "real lenses"...I have to say that only having my Lensbaby's really made me "see in a whole new way". I must admit that I was pretty happy with the results too! I had no regrets at all :)
Re: Lensbaby vs real lenses? posted by Marcum June 28, 2012 03:05PM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

sumn_pink
Hi!
I think you can use Edge 80 as a normal lense without "bluring". Am I right? thank you

Yes, the Edge 80 in a centered position in a composer (easier to do than in a Muse or Control Freak from what I have observed), or in a Scout, has a flat field of focus like a normal lens. Same for the soft focus, and pinhole/zone plate optics.

The real appeal of the Edge in a Composer is the ability to shift the lens to increase DOF at F4 or lower as you match the angle of the subject, and still get a good out-of-focus background in macro or close focus photos.

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today