Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 hour ago by CatGargoyle

November walk

view post

Color from the 1940s

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Color from the 1940s posted by TG-J (Admin) April 07, 2012 12:52AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

How did we manage to let this film slip away, The detail held in the vibrant colors. It is sad. All 5x4 Kodachromes from the early 40s.

[pavelkosenko.wordpress.com]
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by Outback April 07, 2012 01:09AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Agreed. Kodachrome has always been one of my favorite films. To this day it makes me nostalgic for my youth. I used to have a 4x5 Graflex Speed Graphic back in the day. A part of me longs for the pre-digtal world in more ways than photography...

Tony I just this morning came across a software by Alien Skin that allows for post process rendering in Kodachrome effects from 1936 to present. I haven't used it yet but it caught my eye for just this reason. B&H lists it for about $250 USD. Let me know if you want a link and I'll PM it to you.

Have a great day.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by TG-J (Admin) April 07, 2012 01:27AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

John not long ago I threw away close to 100 rolls of 120 kodachrome , it had been sitting in my freezer since the 80s. My wife made me do it. I used to use it in my Linhof with a 6x12 back. Sharp! Makes digital look like ........... The highlight -shadow detail and colors that just didn't go out of gamut. Oh well. Have a Great Easter. tony
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by juznobsrvr April 07, 2012 01:31AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

Tony, I think that at the end of the day it's all about following the money. Maybe it's because Kodakchrome had limited market use and wasn't breaking even in the bank. Also, partly the people at Kodak just made plenty of wrong decisions (but that's another topic). It's sad yes but I don't think we should blame ourselves.

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by juznobsrvr April 07, 2012 01:32AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

TG-J
.... not long ago I threw away close to 100 rolls of 120 kodachrome , it had been sitting in my freezer since the 80s. My wife made me do it.

Blame the wife :-D

rob castro

blog = [www.juzno.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 05:12AM by juznobsrvr.
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by Bender April 08, 2012 09:03PM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Those were some fantastic photos, really enjoyed them. The colors and tones were phenomenal.

Peter
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by rannestad April 08, 2012 10:49PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Fantastic!!!

Sadly things haven't improved, from a pure quality point of view. Things are easier, and everyone can make a decent photograph, but these images surpasses most of what can be seen these days.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by TG-J (Admin) April 09, 2012 12:01AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Bjorn & Peter I thought U guys would really appreciate these. Rob I can take being called an idiot, I know it is in good fun.To Ozzies abuse is often a high form of understanding & jest between mates ( friends). There really is some great examples of the old technology there.
Re: Color from the 1940s posted by juznobsrvr April 09, 2012 11:48PM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

Hey Tony... nice to confirm that Ozzies are laid back bunch. I know you long enough to be able to exchange coarse jests but I worried that other people might think that you are really an idiot (heh).

I thought about those images and it appeared that they were taken with 4x5 camera - at least that's what it indicated on the blog. If that's true, that would be another factor. Maybe that's why Anselm Adams's work using medium format paled in comparison with his early work.

Cheers :-)

rob castro

blog = [www.juzno.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today