Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

6 hours ago by chrysti

Re: #BlurOnPurpose Series

view post

Pinhole Day coming up!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) March 30, 2012 03:34AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Break out your pinhole/zone plate optic!

[www.pinholeday.org]

One of my favorite days of the year.

Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Outback March 31, 2012 11:46PM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Bump.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Craig.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by ndroo April 01, 2012 12:44AM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Great! Thanks for the reminder. Now I've to remind myself to bring along my LB pinhole along as I'll be on vacation then.

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by rannestad April 01, 2012 05:14AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Sure. I have to dissappoint though. I will use my self made camera (non-digital off course) :)

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) April 01, 2012 06:16AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Just another excuse to get out and have fun!

No matter what camera/pinhole you use.

Share your results/entries w us.

Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by rannestad April 01, 2012 10:58PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

You are right Craig. It's about having fun, whether it is with a digital camera/LBf pinhole or selfmade camera with film. Here is my camera which I intend to use. I also used it last year on pinhole day. Inside is a 5x7" negative which gave the following result. Unfortunately the film was bent, therefore the black corner.

The print is made as a "Ziatype" which is a palladiotype, originating from the late 19th century...

Bjorn

Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) April 16, 2012 09:06AM reply | quote
Awesome set-up, Bjorn. What are you using as the body of the camera?
It looks like an empty paint can to me but that doesn't seem large enough to fit a 5x7"...

I like the diy spirit of pinhole day too but am not quite as ambitious. I think I'll take it easy and stick with our pinhole, but last year I made a 35mm pinhole camera out of cardboard and got a few images out of it - including this one of Multnomah Falls.

Speaking of DIY (and pinholes), check out this interview with pinhole photo fan Justin Lundquist on our blog. He explains how he used Kickstarter to make his DIY pinhole accessible to photographers everywhere.
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Song42 April 16, 2012 09:27AM reply | quote
posted by Song42

Expecting optics any day now - Wish i'd ordered the pinhole now instead of the plastic..grr..:) - maybe see if i can make one on time and join in..

Nice interview..thanks Michael..:)

~Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 09:27AM by Song42.
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) April 17, 2012 05:33AM reply | quote
Thanks Liz - glad you liked the interview!
Have fun with your plastic optic and if you wanna experiment with pinhole photography try making one out of tin foil and taping it to the front of your camera body. It's a little tricky but you can make it work with enough trial & error.
...It's probably not a good idea to try it in any windy or dusty areas - you don't want your camera's sensor to get dirty.
Good luck!
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by rannestad April 24, 2012 04:08AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

I am preparing the camera for this year's photography session as well. One shot, that's it:)

I am sorry I didn't see your comment Michael. It is a chocolate box. Quite large one, as is understood.

Here is it before loading (fresh) film.

More updates will be made on retrofoto.dk

Have a nice day.

Bjorn

Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) April 24, 2012 05:28AM reply | quote
Thanks Bjorn! It looks like a cool set-up and I'm impressed that you were able to take a photo of a pinhole camera with a pinhole camera!
Nice work.
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by David Morel April 24, 2012 10:08AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

Craig...any tips for shooting pinholes with the LB Optic? I have struggled to get a decent pinhole image out of it.

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) April 24, 2012 11:01AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

I'm partial to the zone plate setting but have had my best luck with both settings when including light sources in the images. The flare that comes off of the sun is captivating with the pinhole.

Zone plate images are acceptable for entry, btw.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by David Morel April 30, 2012 07:37AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

i posted this earlier but it didn't stick i guess. here is my pinhole shot from yesterday. Craig...any suggestions to improve or is this what is the expected result from a pinhole shot?

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) April 30, 2012 09:25AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

David, that looks great.

Pinhole photography is much more about composition and color (if any) than anything else. Both are strong here.

I'll post mine later tonight if I can.

Craih

Heraclitus of Ephesus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 09:26AM by Craig.
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) April 30, 2012 01:51PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

This is of the Hollywood Theater sign about one mile from my house in Portland, Oregon.

Fist exposure 1/6 second, Zone Plate. Second exposure ~25 seconds while panning (handheld), Pinhole. 800 iso.

Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by rannestad May 01, 2012 02:57AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

A couple of great images David and Craig. Mine is under development......... (waiting) ..........

I saw yours, Craig in the World Pinhole Photography gallery. What about your's, David?

Bjorn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 03:00AM by rannestad.
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by David Morel May 01, 2012 08:30AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

Thanks Bjorn! Mine is out there, i uploaded it this morning and now available:

[www.pinholeday.org]

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by ndroo May 01, 2012 04:00PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

My pinhole shots ...

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) May 01, 2012 11:56PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Great shots.

Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by rannestad May 02, 2012 06:58AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Great images. Here is my submission, which can be viewed here

As you will see, the image is not made with a lensbaby pinhole, but the photo of the camera is made with the lensbaby pinhole:)

More description of the process is done on the pinholeday site and on retrofoto.dk

Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) May 02, 2012 08:10AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Hands on pinhole project. Good job, Bjorn!

Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by jffoto May 07, 2012 01:38AM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
Great images - 2 of my pinhole images from that day. (a little late)

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) May 07, 2012 02:06AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Love the waves, Jørgen.

-Craig

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by rannestad May 09, 2012 04:57AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

2 great ones

Re: Pinhole Day coming up! posted by Craig (Admin) June 20, 2012 04:57AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

All Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day listings that listed Lensbaby as their tool of choice: [www.pinholeday.org]

Heraclitus of Ephesus

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today