As The Crows Fly

Newer Topic | Older Topic

As The Crows Fly posted by TG-J (Admin) March 17, 2012 10:55PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

The Australian Crow. Thanks for looking.tony
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by RichB March 17, 2012 11:30PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Tony,

This is unbelievable! What a catch, and the lighting and composition are perfect.

Rich
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by TG-J (Admin) March 18, 2012 12:07AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Rich I must confess there are 3 shots there. I was sitting on the field after my sons soccer match and an apple core landed next to me , I looked up & 2 crows were chasing one another. They obviously really wanted that apple core and came back several times to see if they could retrieve it . So I kept snapping and dropped a couple more into the shot. I cheated. The crow on the right & the one in the background have been dropped in. It was very easy to do , just put the images on top of the original then changed the blending mode of the layers to darken.tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 12:29AM by TG-J.
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Mamaoval March 18, 2012 01:35AM reply | quote
posted by Mamaoval

It's still good! Bet the cloudy sky (without buildings or branches to consider) also made blending easy.
Cool.

Sydney
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by RichB March 18, 2012 02:04AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Tony,

Now I now why I thought it was unbelievable! :)

But I still really like it.

Rich
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by jffoto March 18, 2012 02:09AM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
I like it too - well done work!

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by juznobsrvr March 18, 2012 02:31PM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

Note to self: cheat when expedient :-)
nicely done, Tony

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by TG-J (Admin) March 18, 2012 03:35PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Sydney Thanks U R right. Yes Rich U were also right. J I'm glad U like it even tho U knew the truth. Rob , "any means to an end "or "cheats never prosper" . God I love cliché's .:)tony
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Crabcakes March 18, 2012 10:35PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Tisk, tisk tony. I'm SO disappointed. Because of course I never cheat. ;)

Great stuff--

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Marcum March 18, 2012 10:49PM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

TG-J
Rich I must confess there are 3 shots there. I was sitting on the field after my sons soccer match and an apple core landed next to me , I looked up & 2 crows were chasing one another. They obviously really wanted that apple core and came back several times to see if they could retrieve it . So I kept snapping and dropped a couple more into the shot. I cheated. The crow on the right & the one in the background have been dropped in. It was very easy to do , just put the images on top of the original then changed the blending mode of the layers to darken.tony

LOL, I was depressed that I could not "find" such wonderful situations to photograph, or that my photos lacked the "look" so many photos expressed.......then I finally got it through my noggin' that there is PhotoShop! More to master if you seek excellence in this medium.

Well done here Tony! Even though it is "created" it resembles the actions I have seen among crows here; therefore, it is just "improved reality" which is how I want to use PhotoShop.
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by TG-J (Admin) March 19, 2012 12:52AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Crabby , I say thanks with a huge smile on my face, almost giggling.
Marcum , it was almost one of those Issac Newton type moments. As soon as I saw the crows were going to return to try and retrieve their core (greedy little blighters) it dawned on me what I could do afterwards in photoshop. So I shot it with post in mind. Marcum I know I suggested several alternate programs for image adjustment in a past post , but in reality if you want to be able to make all sorts of major adjustments to you digital files,Full blown Photoshop is the way to go. I know the cost is daunting , but in reality , if you learn to use photoshop properly you will come to realize you don't need the latest copy (CS5) . PS7 or CS1 is almost just as powerful , it does virtually all the same stuff , just not as simplified with sliders.I am sure you can find earlier versions at bargain basement prices. The down side is you will need other programs to process your Raws to Tiffs to bring into Photoshop. The other plus to using an earlier version of Photoshop is the availability of second hand old photoshop books. There is basically 2 avenues to take. 1. Scot Kelby type books(push this button & do this) or 2, Real World Photoshop (Bruce Fraser) type books where you get complex explanations of what every thing does & you end up with an understanding.My recommendation would be start with the latter. The Scot Kelby books are good,but are better when you understand technically what he is doing and can see ways to improvise on his themes. There is also Dan Margulis, his books are excellent but require a certain amount of previous understanding. He approaches the subject more from the angle of a color separator and works predominantly in CMYK. Back in the late 70's I trained as an E-6 tech(color tranny)and basic transparency retoucher, so I can see the power Photoshop has, it used to take days cutting rubylith,making masks. removing dust from 6 surfaces each time ( every thing was always sandwiched between glass when projected or contacted) ,hours in the dark, doing & redoing. Boy the young generation has got it so easy these days. We used to live in rolled up paper at side of the road and eat warm gravel for breakfast.:) Hope this all helps. My advice is start reading now.tony
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Crabcakes March 19, 2012 02:20AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

You were LUCKY!

We used to have to get up out of the shoe-box in the middle of the night and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had to eat half a handful of freezing cold gravel, work at the mill for 24 hours a day, for 4 pence every six years and when we got home our dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Johnny Yorkshireman, aka:

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 02:22AM by Crabcakes.
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by oliver tudoras March 19, 2012 03:57AM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

very well put together..

like it a lot

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by TG-J (Admin) March 19, 2012 11:23AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Hard, hard . Thats was N-O-T-H-I-N-G. :). Crabby, ower moom were a wee Donny lass. Born to a Scottish father in Doncaster. I did 1yr of schooling in Dirty Donny. Intake , joost neer racecoarse.:)

Thank you Ollie.
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by juznobsrvr March 19, 2012 01:35PM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

Tony, I think your lengthy dissertation in using PS will scare people more. Did you do it intentionally so that us PS users will have advantage over the non-users (LOL)? After all we don't want to give away out magic tricks. BTW, maybe include free tutorials... there's quite a few over the net that I found useful.

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Lorna Taylor March 25, 2012 06:07AM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Fantastic work Tone, this is spectacular !

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Duh_Vinci April 02, 2012 09:39AM reply | quote
posted by Duh_Vinci

Tony, like this one very much, kudos for creativity, Sir!

Regards,
D
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by BokehBo May 16, 2012 03:07PM reply | quote
posted by BokehBo
You are gifted a wonderful for that right moment. I really enjoy your work.

Warm regards,
Bobette

Exploring the world of blur, one photo at a time.
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by TG-J (Admin) May 18, 2012 10:24PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Bobette , thank you for your kind comment , you have made me feel all warm & fuzzy. :)tony
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Bender May 20, 2012 10:45AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Hehe, clever!

Peter
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by Va girl May 20, 2012 11:12AM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

Sweet image.... well spotted and presented!
Re: As The Crows Fly posted by CMH May 26, 2012 08:12PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

The comp is outstanding and it is so dramatic in black and white. Great work.
Cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today