Latest Post

1 day ago by strelar

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Photo Editing program

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Photo Editing program posted by Marcum March 06, 2012 09:25PM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

I am trying to decide which software program to buy.

I am not sure just what I need, but I am going to install the program in a Dell PC with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and 2 gigs of memory, XP Home edition v.2002, SP3.

This computer has been reformatted and will only be used for photo work, it will only have an earlier version of MS Office, 2003, and a browser. I plan to save all work to an external HDD due to the small HDD in this unit.

Just not sure what to purchase, and a full blown CS5 package is rather daunting price wise.

Can anyone help a novice in this situation? I do not really know what questions to ask at this point.

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....
Re: Photo Editing program posted by geoffspix March 06, 2012 11:05PM reply | quote
posted by geoffspix
Hi Marcum,

I used to have full-blown Photoshop, but the computer that I had that program loaded on died and I didn't have any documentation for the program. So last weekend I bought Photoshop Elements version 10. It has a lot of the same functionality as Photoshop and rather than a $700 price tag, costs about $100 at Office Depot. I have been using it for a few days now and I find that it provides me with everything I need in editing and getting creative in photos.

I have a question for you. I noticed in an answer to a post you said that someone could use their Nikon lenses with some of the Lens Babies. Currently I have the Composer and one other Lens Baby.

Thanks in Advance.
Re: Photo Editing program posted by Crabcakes March 06, 2012 11:44PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Hi Marcum--

I have been using Adobe Lightroom for about 4 or 5 years....I think...(scratches head)....and I love it. It is RAW conversion software and completely non-destructive. Much more reasonable than the full-blown PS package. LR4 just came out at $149USD. Very intuitive (for me, at least). Many powerful editing tools--color controls and B&W conversion. LOTS of free presets for LR out there on the net too.

You can try it for free here:

Lightroom Trial

Good luck!

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Photo Editing program posted by BFCoughlin March 07, 2012 09:28AM reply | quote
posted by BFCoughlin
This is a copy of what I posted on Lensbaby Addicts, added to mention that PSE handles RAW--that's what I'm using for my LB photos: "I'd really recommend PhotoShop Elements. It's under $100, and with it, you can do anything you need to do to tune up a photo. And, really--if you have a good eye, and the basic photo is well composed, has good lighting and is interesting--what more do you need? Ansel Adams had a few chemicals and a darkroom. PSE can provide more than that. This photo has good lighting, composition and focus, and a certain emotional feeling of both loss and comfort. The extra warmth you want for it would easily be found in PSE. I think there's a trial version, though I can't swear to it."
Re: Photo Editing program posted by TG-J (Admin) March 07, 2012 11:38AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Marcum , if you shoot Nikon , NX2 is quite a good program , a little slow on a batch process when lots of different adjustments have to be made. Nikon NEFs through the NX2 process read a lot of the adjustments you can apply at time of shooting, which means if you are diligent @ time of shooting you can save time in post. Also a free trial available. I would check a few of them out & see what works best for you. With all the options available i recon it would be at least 6-8 months before you had to purchase one.:) tony
Re: Photo Editing program posted by Marcum March 07, 2012 12:09PM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

Thank you all for your input, as soon as I can I hope to have something up and running. Will definitely pursue the free trials mentioned here.

Tony, the NX2 has been on my list as I do use a Nikon 3100.

Johnny, LightBox might be what I need for the OM Pen; or the elements 10.

geoffspix
I have a question for you. I noticed in an answer to a post you said that someone could use their Nikon lenses with some of the Lens Babies. Currently I have the Composer and one other Lens Baby.

I was referring to the tilt transformer/composer for several 4/3rds cameras. Mine is a OM Pen PL-1. When you take off the composer section any F-bayonet mount Nikon will fit on the tilt transformer for tilting the focal plane, even the auto focus lenses without aperture adjustment can be used by simply turning the lens in the tilt transformer as you release the attachment lever. There is a video on this site that shows how to do this.

The only way to get the same rectilinear lens on a dSLR is with the other LB lens bodies and the Edge 80 optic. The advantage of the 4/3rds is the many Nikkor lenses available from the used market and the selection of focal lengths.

Hope this answers your question.

Re: Photo Editing program posted by TG-J (Admin) March 07, 2012 12:17PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Also After Shot Pro by Corel - Used to be Bibble Pro- Raw work flo - both nikon & oly.
Bibble was a highly regarded raw processor for Nikon files. $99 & a free trial.

[www.corel.com]

Marcum U can do to your Nikon files in View NX2 - it is a freeby.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 09:12PM by TG-J.
Re: Photo Editing program posted by geoffspix March 08, 2012 02:36AM reply | quote
posted by geoffspix
Thank you!!! I will definitely be looking into the tilt transformer. I have several Nikon lens that this might work on.
Re: Photo Editing program posted by Marcum March 13, 2012 04:48AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

I have decided to go with Adobe Elements 10, yet I want Nikon NX-2 later. The learning curve with the Adobe program seems daunting, but I hope to manage a useful measure of craftsmanship.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today