Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Leaf abstractions in B&W

view post

Wide angle converter or Sweet 35?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Makus February 23, 2012 05:41AM reply | quote
posted by Makus

Is there anyone who owns a wide angle converter for double glass and Seet 35 optics? Which gives better results? Is there a chance that someone can make comparison shoots (same theme, same aperture) of those? I'm shooting with Caono 60D and would like to have a bit wider angle than standard 50 mm. I need that for car photography.
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by TG-J (Admin) February 23, 2012 06:06AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Makus, check this link.

[lensbaby.com]
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Marcum February 23, 2012 06:32AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

Makus, I read the specs on the Sweet 35 and it list the following, I highlighted several comments that answer your question:

SWEET 35 OPTIC SPECS

Focal Length: 35mm
12-blade adjustable aperture
Aperture range: f/2.5 - f/22
Selective focus optic
Focuses from approximately 7.5” to infinity from the front of the optic when used with Composer, 6.5” with Scout, and 3” with Muse and Control Freak
Compatible with Macro Converters for even closer focus
Compatible with Lensbaby Composer, Scout, Muse, and Control Freak lens bodies*

4 multi-coated glass elements, in three groups
46mm front threads (will only work with the Lensbaby Macro Converters and not the 37mm Lensbaby Accessories)*
Macro Converters are required to use Sweet 35 with Composer with Tilt Transformer (for mirrorless cameras)
Ships with clear plastic storage case and removal tool

*Not compatible with current 37mm Lensbaby accessories[/b

As the specs point out the other optics have a 37mm thread, the sweet 35 and Edge 80 do not, they are 46mm so the wide angle and telephoto units will not fit on them.

I have used a 62mm Nikon 5-T close up diopter with step down rings on the Edge 80 with the macro converters, but haven't tried it on the sweet 35...yet, for macro work.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------
God said, "Let there be light," and it was so....
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Marcum February 23, 2012 06:36AM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

BTW, on the double glass, single glass, and plastic optics, I have used the 0.06 wide angle and the super wide angle accessories and like the results. I also use the telephoto accessory too.

Adding the macro +4, or +10 with these accessories seems to give more options as well when using the optics for macro.

Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) February 23, 2012 08:02AM reply | quote
Hey Markus,
Marcum is right - our while our Wide Angle is great on the Double Glass it won't fit the Sweet 35.
On the issue of which is better, I'd (personally) give Sweet 35 the thumbs up! The DG + Wide is a little wider (30mm equivalent v. 35mm for the Sweet 35) but in my experience the combination shows a little more chromatic aberration and a little less sharpness than the Sweet 35.
Either way you'll find the wider angle of view useful, especially on a crop-sensor camera.

Have fun!
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Marcum February 23, 2012 03:06PM reply | quote
posted by Marcum

I have been trying out the sweet 35 on a Scout (and the Edge 80) keeping the sweet spot in the center and using F-stops and focus to control the look.

The Composer Pro is more effective, but then I like to work in and out of the box. Yet I may try some cokin filters on the Scout/SW35 set-up, provided I can obtain enough step-up rings so as not to impede focusing.

Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by TG-J (Admin) February 24, 2012 11:26AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

One thing that doesn't seemed to have been mentioned is the sweet 35 seems to have a much bigger image circle than the DG- wide thingy combo, which is so important when it comes to bendability . Oooh, spelling check doesn't like that one.tony
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by TG-J (Admin) February 24, 2012 12:48PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Hey Makus just did a quick test. 1st -2 ,SW35 ,centered ,then full tilt. 2nd-2 , .65 centered then full tilt. Then last 3 -.45 , centered, full tilt, then to edge of cut- off. These are the LB adapters that were supplied at the time of the LB2 , do not know if they are optically different to the current ones. Hope this helps. tony
Also all shot on a full frame , wide open.
.45 & .65 are used on the DG optic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 01:14PM by TG-J.
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Makus February 26, 2012 07:43AM reply | quote
posted by Makus

Thank you all. I think i'll have to save a bit and buy both. 35 is sharpert in sweet spot, but DG with converter will give more interesting blur on APS-C sensor...
Re: Wide angle converter or Sweet 35? posted by Outback February 26, 2012 07:49AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

TG-J
Hey Makus just did a quick test...

One of those, 'now why didn't I think of that?' moments.

Great idea Tony. Thanks for posting this.

Makus - Scroll through one of my Studio pages. There are a few car photos that I shot using the DGO and the Super Wide on the DGO. [www.lensbaby.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 07:56AM by Outback.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today