Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by ebby62

Re: Paris 2014

view post

New macro converters

Newer Topic | Older Topic

New macro converters posted by photosnod February 09, 2012 10:49PM reply | quote
posted by photosnod

Just received my new macro converters via UPS yesterday and was trying them out this morning. From
My first few tests with the fisheye optic, it would seem that the two converters stacked are too much for the fish eye. I couldn't focus at all and was bumping the front element on what I was focusing on. Next I tried the 16mm and it was still a bit too close. Lastly the 8mm seemed to be the right converter for the fisheye, the front element was about 1/4 inch from the subject.
As for the double glass optic they both worked fine and you are able to get quite close. As of yet I haven't tried the combination of converter and macro lens kit.
Re: New macro converters posted by Keri (Admin) February 10, 2012 06:34AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Hi there photosnod - you're correct about the Macro Converters with the Fisheye - since you can already focus about 1/2 inch from your subject with the Fisheye by itself, only the 8mm Converter will work. The 16mm, and stacking the two, would put the point of focus behind the sensor, essentially. We have a handy-dandy Macro Converters distance chart here: [www.lensbaby.com]

I hope you'll post some of your Macro Converter photos here soon!

See more of my work at [kerifriedman.com] or [www.flickr.com]
Re: New macro converters posted by Outback February 10, 2012 11:14PM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Oooooo Keri! A handy-dandy Macro Converter distance chart! You have all sorts of tricks up your sleeve!

BTW thanks for the cap. It arrived on Thursday.

jd

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: New macro converters posted by Rob62 February 17, 2012 08:02AM reply | quote
posted by Rob62

I am curious why I should buy the converters where I already have the macrokitlenses. Is there difference in image quality of is it only the magnification factor?

----------------------------------------------
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely (A. Rodin)
Re: New macro converters posted by Joe Nation February 18, 2012 06:46AM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

The new converters should give better image quality than the old dioptres, as they don't add any glass between the lens and the sensor (thus increasing distortion and aberration). But since Lensbabies aren't about crystal clear images and pixel peeping, any distortion from the dioptres don't necessarily detract from the image anyway.
Re: New macro converters posted by Rob62 February 18, 2012 07:06AM reply | quote
posted by Rob62

@Joe Nation, Ok thanks for your comment here.
I understand the part about the glass and better quality.
But then (not in your comment but elsewhere) I read that the old dioptres can be combined with the new converters. Than the image quality issue returns I guess.

btw not that I have trouble with it. It's just as I said: I'm just curious ...

Once again, thanks.

----------------------------------------------
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely (A. Rodin)
Re: New macro converters posted by picnic February 19, 2012 08:57PM reply | quote
posted by picnic
I didn't get an answer about using the converters with the Tilt Transformer to use the FE optic so I'll ask here. A poster on dpreview from Australia posted that he was told by a Lensbaby employee that using a macro converter with the Tilt Transformer allowed the use of the Fish Eye optic. I'm trying to find if this is true. As it is now, the flange distance of the TT isn't long enough to use the FE so it does seem reasonable that this might add the length to permit it.

I was told when I bought the TT that hopefully there would be an adapter to allow the FE use--would this be the answer? I do have the Composer that needs an adapter to use with m4/3 and I use the FE with this but that means I have to carry two LB lenses. I'd love to be able to carry only the Tilt Transformer.

Diane

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today