Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by strelar

Re: Composer Pro + Edge 80

view post

Shooting sports and action...which LB?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by Scottda February 02, 2012 02:43AM reply | quote
posted by Scottda

I used my LB 2.0 at a snowshoe race last weekend and liked the results. I only got a few keepers out of many shots as would be expected on a first attempt at this sort of thing. I am wondering if the Composer would be better suited to this type of photography than the 2.0/Muse? Mostly, what I would use it for would be bike and run type races where the action is pretty predictable. I know that practice will be the key in whichever lens I choose. Just wondering if anyone with experience at using a LB for sports/action could give their thoughts.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott

[www.scottphotoart.com]
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by Scottda February 02, 2012 05:22AM reply | quote
posted by Scottda

On one hand I would think the 2.0/Muse would be quicker to react to changes in the action while the Composer would be better to lock in the sweet spot and either pre-focus and wait for the biker/runner to hit the right spot or follow focus as they approach. I’m thinking that the Composer would be more difficult for quick change since there are essentially two actions required (bend and turn to focus) where the 2.0 is essential one action (with a bit of quick mind bending to get it right).

Scott

[www.scottphotoart.com]
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by Joe Nation February 03, 2012 04:14AM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

I would go with the Composer. You can set the locking ring fairly loose so you can move the front with minimal effort, or you can tighten it up and concentrate of focus and framing. But then again I'm not too good at using the Muse at the best of times, maybe if you're more skilled it will be more fluid.
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by BFCoughlin February 03, 2012 09:37AM reply | quote
posted by BFCoughlin
I don't have the Composer, so I can't really comment on it. I do find that the flexibility of the muse makes it easy to focus on the fly. Once I got used to it, I found that my fingers just find the right place, and I've been able to snap sharp photos of moving targets like geese on the wing.
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by Scottda February 05, 2012 10:42PM reply | quote
posted by Scottda

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the 2.0 some time and work on my technique. Maybe sit on the roadside and shoot (with a camera of course :) ) at cars driving through town.

Scott

[www.scottphotoart.com]
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by TG-J (Admin) February 05, 2012 11:17PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Scot, I shot a bit of my sons soccer with a LB2. I found with action you usually wanted the sweet spot pretty close to central. I found with a short extension tube and the LB 2 fully compressed it focused just short of infinity with the sweet spot centered. I found it easier capturing focus working backwards from there. When you let go of the LB2 the sweet spot doesn't go to center, when you fully compress it does. Makes it much quicker in predicting the point to focus.tony
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by Scottda February 06, 2012 02:05AM reply | quote
posted by Scottda

Tony, extension tube or do you mean teleconverter? I have a 12mm ext. tube and I can only focus close up, as I would expect.

Scott

[www.scottphotoart.com]
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by TG-J (Admin) February 06, 2012 07:33AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Hi Scott, just went through my bag of bits & pieces,when I wrote this I was thinking Nikon PK11, 8mm . But that was LB2 & Kodak 2x tele-thingy on front of lens.
For the LB2 with no tele-thingy on the front it is a K1- 5.8mm , not so easy to find these days.

PK11 & LB tele-thingy focus too short.

But then U probably shoot Canon. :) tony
Re: Shooting sports and action...which LB? posted by jffoto February 07, 2012 02:54PM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
Well, I like the image a lot!

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today