Latest Post

9 hours ago by ebby62

Re: Paris 2014

view post

Imaging Software

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Imaging Software posted by Outback January 22, 2012 03:50AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

I just found out that Picnik (my image editing service) is being absorbed by The Borg/Google Collective. Long story short, I am about to lose my imaging software.

I have an very outdated version of Photoshop (4.0) on an antiquated Apple G3 laptop. It's time for me to consider options. There have been a virtual tsunami of imaging apps launched since I last worked in PS at length.

If this is not a violation of LB discussion guideline: What imaging software are you using, why and what did it cost? PM if you would prefer.

Thanks

John aka Outback

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 07:58AM by Outback.
Re: Imaging Software posted by BFCoughlin January 26, 2012 10:19AM reply | quote
posted by BFCoughlin
I use PhotoShop Elements. I update every 2-3 versions. I just went from 8 to 10. While it does not have all the bells and whistles of the full version of PhotoShop, it is powerful enough to do any necessary quality tweaking and to allow for nearly infinite creative adaptations. It runs about $89, but if you watch out for bargains, you can find it for less. I got if from Amazon during a pre-Christmas sale for $59. (US dollars.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 10:20AM by BFCoughlin.
Re: Imaging Software posted by Outback January 28, 2012 07:56AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Thanks BF this is the kind of information I was hoping to get. I'll do some research on the PE Elements and see what it can do. Do you know if it allows for tone mapping and HDR renderings?

Thanks.

If anyone else would like to chime in on this thread I'd be grateful.

John

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: Imaging Software posted by Crabcakes January 28, 2012 12:46PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Hey john--

I don't believe PE Elements has HDR or tone-mapping capabilities. While it is very affordable, it is somewhat limited. I have used Adobe Lightroom for years and absolutely LOVE it. It's very intuitive (for me at least) and gives the photographer an awesome set of development options (especially B&W). Plus there are TONS of free development presets available on line and it has a lot of plug-in capabilities. You can download a free trial (30 days) direct from Adobe:

Lightroom 3 Trial

Lightroom does cost quite a bit more than Elements ($299 usd vs. $99 usd), but it's not nearly the bank-breaker that Photoshop CS5 is ($699 usd) and it gives me all the tools that I need.

If you use an Apple computer, you might also try Apple Aperture. I think you can also get a free trial. It was a real toss-up for me but I ended up getting Lightroom for its development options and ease of use.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me,

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 12:54PM by Crabcakes.
Re: Imaging Software posted by Outback January 28, 2012 02:06PM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Thanks Johnny. I'm no longer working on a Apple platform and am probably going to need go with a PC whether I want to or not at this point.

The last price I saw on Photoshop was a whopping $1200 but it may have been a suite with lots of add ons. I'll explore Lightroom and get back to you via PM.

Re: Imaging Software posted by TG-J (Admin) January 28, 2012 03:14PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Hi John, Well my 2 cents worth. Lightroom is essentially designed for a Raw workflow , altho you can process jpgs in LR. I would personally start looking for a second hand version of CS3 or 4. The raw processor in CS3 or 4 is very similar to LR . Altho there is a lot you can achieve in a raw processor, there still is a lot you can not, altho I hear there is now a lot of plugins for LR. If you shoot Nikon , Capture NX 2 is a good reasonably priced software alternative, quite feature packed. Not to great at a batched raw work flo tho. It also appears lots of people are starting to get a bit pissed with Adobe, after them announcing their new upgrade policies, which could result in quite a few people dumping their adobe products. Corel seems to be onto this , they have recently acquired Bibble Pro , a very good Raw processor and seem to be making moves to create a complete editing suite to go head to head with adobe , fingers crossed ( a duoply is always better than a monoply). Check them out. All being said Photoshop is still the most feature packed editing program out there at this point of time , so much so it's enough to make your head hurt. Hope this helps and just doesn't make your head ache worse.tony

Also check out this one , you can get a free trial , I have the Photoshop plug in, this is the stand alone , it also integrates with LR. Very easy software to use , does in seconds what it takes ages to do in PS.

[www.pictocolor.com]

Here is a videos explaining,

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 08:18PM by TG-J.
Re: Imaging Software posted by Outback January 29, 2012 04:44AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

I appreciate all your comments guys! This is what I was hoping for.

I upgraded to a new LB Sweet35 and Canon D60 around the end of November and now have a 18Meg RAW/JPEG foundation to work from. These two items should allow for a significant improvement in the quality of my work providing that I do my part. But I really enjoy the digital darkroom. Although Picnik couldn't be beat for price it left noticeable holes for features and I have missed working in Photoshop. Your information is a great help to me and I appreciate what the people on this board consistantly do when it comes to helping one another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 04:53AM by Outback.
Re: Imaging Software posted by popquiz January 29, 2012 05:52AM reply | quote
posted by popquiz

As I understand it, Google is not dropping picnik per se, but rather incorporating it into Picassa. I think I read they are just reducing the redundancies between the two programs and keeping the development under the Picassa name.

Being a dual-booter, I sometimes find myself enjoying the pleasures of GIMP. It isn't Photoshop, but it is certainly more than Picnik

...it's like nailing JELL-O to a tree!

Glen Copeland
aka: PopQuiz

Join Lensbaby Addicts at: [www.facebook.com]
Re: Imaging Software posted by Outback January 30, 2012 10:33AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Glen,

That was what I understood too. I've just decided to stop playing around with web supplied applications. It seems that just as soon as I get comfortable using something and develop a skill set the app morphs or is bought up and changed completely. It's time to get back to a stand alone application where I have control of the creative elements and when make the decision when it is time to upgrade.

Thanks for you comments. I had never heard of the web based GIMP. Looking now...

John

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today