Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

3 hours ago by jffoto

Re: Fly Away (4)

view post

What makes a great photographer?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

What makes a great photographer? posted by perplex January 22, 2012 01:38AM reply | quote
posted by perplex

Lately i have been thinking about what makes a great photographer. What is most important, to have the best equipment? Is a great photographer one that always gets the light, aperture and so on right? Or is the most important thing not to always get it right, not always know what you're doing but being able to see what has potential? To look throu 100 of mostly worthless pics and being able to see which one's the money shot? What do you think makes a great photographer?
Re: What makes a great photographer? posted by Joe Nation January 23, 2012 09:10PM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

It's definitely about finding potential in things. Whether that means finding potential in your equipment, your subject or your surroundings is anyone's guess :)

The real question, however, is what is the difference between a good photographer and a great one? But that's for another day...
Re: What makes a great photographer? posted by BFCoughlin January 25, 2012 10:58AM reply | quote
posted by BFCoughlin
It's the eye. It's what you see. Equipment can help--for example, in getting the Lensbaby effect. But it's not essential. I always smile when someone looks at one of my better photos and says, "Wow--what kind of camera do you have?" And more often than not in the last two years, I can say, "I took that with my iPhone."
Re: What makes a great photographer? posted by francesco January 25, 2012 05:43PM reply | quote
posted by francesco
for me, photography is about emotions/sensations.
you have to feel a particular emotion, be able to caught the moment and comunicate it to "the rest of the world".
equipments (camera and lenses) and technical knowledge (light, aperture, and so on) are tools that the photographer needs to handle properly. but they remain tools.
the patience and the constancy we put in this effort to comunicate our feelings make us grow and get better day by day.
at the bottom line, photography is an art. how can we decide/define if someone is a great artist?

francesco

the river flows
and in it I swim

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today