40 minutes ago by TG-J

Re: 63 Split Window Corvette

view post

How does it work

Newer Topic | Older Topic

How does it work posted by MOK September 18, 2011 05:25AM reply | quote
posted by MOK
Hi all,

I am new to the whole taking pictures but had seen quite a lot of pictures taken form LB, I have a Nikon D3100 but I can't get the camera to take any pictures through my composer lens. They just come out dark even though I can see the shot and focus on what I want. I only have the basic lens at the minute but hope to get the wide-angle lens ASAP.

Can anyone help me here or am I just useless?? I have no idea about what settings the camera should be on, any help would be great as going on holidays to NYC in a few weeks and would like to have the hang of this before i go,thanks for any help in advance.

MOK
Re: How does it work posted by ScottM September 18, 2011 12:50PM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

I'm not a nikon user but if you put your camera on automatic you should get good results. I personally use manual and meter as with any other lens. They have tutorials on the website. Sorry I dont have better info for you.
Scott
Re: How does it work posted by hp September 18, 2011 06:48PM reply | quote
posted by hp

Put it on Aperture priority (AV or A, i use a Canon but i think on Nikon it might be A) and start shooting, use exposure compensation if picture is to too light or too dark and. Or shoot in manual mode and watch the light meter in your viewfinder, but that is a bit more complicated.

Harm
[www.kujaja.com]
[500px.com] [jpgmag.com]
Re: How does it work posted by TG-J (Admin) September 18, 2011 10:46PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

MOK, unfortunately I do not think the D3100 meters with the LB, in which case you will have to use it in Manual mode. You will have to guess exposure & check on screen, or use a light meter. Believe it or not after time you will get to know exposure times. If you have an iphone there is an exposure ap you can get for it.I think it is called Pocket exposure meter. Hope this helps. tony
Re: How does it work posted by MOK September 20, 2011 04:47AM reply | quote
posted by MOK
TG-J
MOK, unfortunately I do not think the D3100 meters with the LB, in which case you will have to use it in Manual mode. You will have to guess exposure & check on screen, or use a light meter. Believe it or not after time you will get to know exposure times. If you have an iphone there is an exposure ap you can get for it.I think it is called Pocket exposure meter. Hope this helps. tony

Yea I've notice that it has to be on manual, ita doing my head in but I'll get there I suppose, thanks all for you help I'll keep you posted how it goes
Re: How does it work posted by Joe Nation October 23, 2011 04:47PM reply | quote
posted by Joe Nation

If the D3100 is anything like the D3000 you will have to use some guesswork unfortunately. It's time-consuming, but try taking some random shots with your kit lens set to 50mm (or a 50mm prime if you have one), and take note of apertures and shutter speeds. Then do the same in Av, so you control the aperture, and see what the camera does with the shutter speed. Then put your LB on, put the camera in Manual (so you can set shutter speed) and see if you can get similar results. Obviously the required shutter speed will depend on lighting conditions and other things, but once you get a feel for it you should be able to get pretty close on your first shot and then know how far to adjust to get it right second or third time - better than guessing and getting it right on the tenth try :)

It's a shame, so many people learn to shoot on entry-level DSLRs, but so many of those cameras make it so difficult to learn (for the record Pentax got it pretty much right with the K-r, if you feel the need to change cameras :) ).
Re: How does it work posted by donnaolm October 24, 2011 01:14AM reply | quote
posted by donnaolm

When I first started shooting with a Lensbaby I was using the D80 and D90 - both needed to be used in manual. What I did was take time each day to shoot with the Lensbaby in different situations just guessing at exposures. After a while it became easier to guess correctly which setting would work best when it mattered. Now I have a Nikon that will meter with the Lensbaby and I still find myself going to manual mode to get a more dramatic shot.

A tip: when I would practice with the Lensbaby I would stick to using the same aperture disc during a practice session, going from one lighting situation to another. That way I only had to think about changing my shutter speed or ISO. The first photo in the sequence I would take a photo showing which aperture disc I was using - usually by holding up fingers (I rarely shoot above 5.6) This made it easier to know what worked for me when I would study the metadata on the successful photos later.

Learning to shoot with the Lensbaby in manual is about like learning to play a musical instrument. Practice pays off!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today