Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

17 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: November walk

view post

A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011

1 2 3 4 5

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Digitalis November 13, 2011 06:59PM reply | quote
posted by Digitalis

wsphotodesign
I photographed at the Denver Zoo between 3:30 and 4:30 pm. Minimal retouching - just took out a few reflections and adjusted the colors to my liking...these are some of my favorites.

Composer Pro with Sweet 35

Whoa, I love your first picture, it's just perfect to me!

***Painting with light is the sweetest delight***
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by jffoto November 13, 2011 08:39PM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
So many great images - wow!
I went outside Copenhagen, looking for some light, and I did find some light!
Here are some of my favorites, photographed between 11:56 and 14:35 local time.
Composer and Plastic Optic.

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by francesco November 13, 2011 09:20PM reply | quote
posted by francesco
a great set, Jorgen. Can't pick up one!
francesco

the river flows
and in it I swim
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by wsphotodesign November 14, 2011 01:18AM reply | quote
posted by wsphotodesign

Thank you so much Digitalis! I love your avatar photograph - a great example of a strong lensbaby image.

Wendi Schneider Photography & Design
[www.wsphotodesign.com]
[www.facebook.com]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by hebphoto November 14, 2011 07:16AM reply | quote
posted by hebphoto

Hi Jffoto ,
Great images love #5
REgards Malcolm
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by raystevfl November 23, 2011 12:40PM reply | quote
posted by raystevfl
Love the idea -- when do we go?
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by CMH November 26, 2011 10:12PM reply | quote
posted by CMH

I live in Aurora, Colorado (a suburb of Denver) in an area bordering an 880 acre State Park. I'm fortunate to have a beautiful mountain view from my home studio - which quite literally is where I spend most of my life. I own a little business in which I design and make things for kids - mostly little stuffed animals I call "Wee Ones" which I sell online and in stores across the country. As you can imagine holiday time is crazy busy for me, so I put in long hours from July thru December. And then it starts all over again with winter and spring holidays in January - June.

November 11, 2011 was pretty much like any work day for me, starting at about 3:45 am.

*Images #1 and #2 - 4 am - my work process with an assembly line style of cutting patterns and then sewing

*Image #3 -6:14 am - the sun rise begins behind my house

*Image #4 - 7:14 am - my Christmas cactus that inevitably blooms around Thanksgiving each year

*Image #5 - 8:10 am - my birthday was three days prior (November 8) and this is a shot from the bouquet of flowers sent by my son and his wife.

*Image #6 - 4:33 pm - preparing to tag my Wee Ones for delivery to a gallery in Denver the next day

*Image #7 - 4:35 pm- the sun setting over the Rocky Mountains (as seen from my studio)

*Image #8 - 4:41 pm - a drink with Roxy the Raccoon while going over some administrative work at my computer

*Image #9 - 7:05 pm - a snuggle with my 18.5 year old cat, A-choo, before heading back to my computer

I purchased my first Lensbaby (the LB 2.0) sometime in 2005 or 2006 and have been absolutely hooked ever since. I followed that purchase with a Lensbaby Original (LB0) as well as telephoto and wide angle adaptors and macro filters . When the new generation of lenses came out I added the muse and composer and all the optics to my collection. So, yeah, I'm a true believer. :)

All these images were shot with my LB 2.0 - still my favorite of them all. :)

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by glojo1 November 27, 2011 12:23AM reply | quote
posted by glojo1

To CMH, beautiful work. Thank you for sharing it.

"Photography has become a passion I want to nourish."

Gloria
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Outback November 27, 2011 02:02AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Very nice series Cindi! Thanks for adding your distinctiveness to the project. I appreciated the narrative and your personal history with the lenses and business!

CMH: Please check your Studio Space - PM sent.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 02:44AM by Outback.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Crabcakes November 29, 2011 04:54AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Took me a while to get this together but...better late than never...

November 11th, 2011 was a hectic and emotionally divided day for me...

Some of you may remember Mr. Thumb, the "little friend" that I inadvertently created a couple of years ago. Well, on the afternoon of November 10, 2011, my wife decided it would be great fun to create a little friend of her own.....by removing part of HER thumb with a chef's knife...the day before we were catering a wedding. After making sure that she wasn't going to bleed to death or pass out, I said to her "WHAT the #*$% were you thinking!?! We have a Wedding tomorrow!!!!", the exact words she said to me (before checking to make sure that I wasn't going to bleed to death or pass out, I might add...) two years ago when I "decided" to create Mr. Thumb.

I'm not saying that I was waiting for this moment to arrive, but I will say that I gladly seized this moment with all ten digits.

And so we have:

1) 8:26am, Mrs. Thumb says, "Yumb, donuts!"

Now you may be asking yourself, "What is Mrs. Thumb doing with all those donuts? Didn't you say you were catering a wedding?".

Well, it turns out that the bride and groom are both freaks for the tasty toroidal treats and had asked the wife to make a wedding cake out of.....um.....donuts. If anyone could make a thing of true beauty out of so pedestrian a product, it would be Mrs. Thumb, aka Mrs. Crabcakes, aka my lovely wife (she once made a wedding cake out of Twinkies, no kidding). And so it was that on the eve of the blessed event, we were presented with 132 donuts for to make a wedding cake.

2) 8:56am, Magpie (Maggie, our daughter) says, "Oh, Chocolate Donut Hole, how do I love thee?"

3) 10:16am, the wedding-cake-topper-bride says, "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine...including that Donut!!"

It was not by any means a shotgun wedding, the bride and groom having been together for many years, but let's just say it was a modern wedding, the traditional order having been changed a bit by blessing the earth with their child before the nuptials...

4) 12:07pm, the happy baby.

5) 12:46pm, the happy couple.

6) 1:02pm, the harpist's hands. She played beautifully.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For many in the west, November 11th is a day to remember our men and women of service, lost to the violence of war. In Great Britain, Austalia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Commonwealth Nations it is known as Remembrance Day. In the United States it is known as Veterans Day. Originally a day to remember soldiers lost during World War One, the so-called "War to end all wars", in the United States it has become a day to remember and honor service veterans no matter the conflict or cause or time of death.

When I was younger, for a time, I was very anti-war; anti-government--well very idealistic, rebellious and just...Anti-. And while I still feel, as many in this country do, that I love my country, but fear my government, I never questioned the value of my father's service. I hope that I have learned a few lessons and learned a little respect for those who may have been involved in a conflict even if I might have had issues with the causes or outcome of that conflict. I try to thank every veteran that I meet.

My father was a veteran of two wars (WWII and Korea) and died from complications from Alzheimer's disease on May 31st/June 1st 2010. I felt it was time to visit his grave as I have not been since before his death. He and my mother are buried together at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery outside of Saint Louis, Missouri and I had not visited the site since shortly after my mother passed in 2006 (being the wife of a veteran, she was buried there before him).

It's been a rough few years.

After so long, hurrying to get there before the sun set and having left home without a map or the grave designation number, I spent the better part of an hour driving around and not finding the grave-site. Having given up and consigned myself to taking a few pictures of the cemetery and going home, I finally found a landmark on my way out that I recognized.
But it was too late.
The sun was set.
The light was leaving.
The graves became white ghosts in the twilight.

My apologies for the lengthiness of this post but I found no other way to convey my complicated feelings on this day. If you bother to read it all, I thank you for your patience.

Many thanks to Outback--what an awesome project-idea.

Many thanks to the whole LB team for giving us the Lensbaby.

Many thanks to everyone who participated--some wonderful images--a great slice of the life of the Lensbaby.

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 05:00AM by Crabcakes.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by CMH November 29, 2011 07:52AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

Crabby - you brought tears with your touching images and your story. My father-in-law is a veteran of Korea and is almost 89, so I can relate to your story. I,too, was a rebel in my youth (and still am about certain things...) but one thing I certainly have come to value and respect are our veterans and men and women of the present day military.

Thank you for your meaningful post... I love the last image the most...
Cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 05:06AM by CMH.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Outback November 29, 2011 10:15AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Beautiful photographs Johnny. Thank you for the detailed and emotional narrative. (I did read ever word BTW.) It was a very complicated day for you to be sure.

Many of us must be around the same age. We seem to have the same background issues that we don't talk about.

It's interesting how we are bound to one another by life and share it through our photography. I am greatful that we had our Day in the Life together.

jd

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 10:29PM by Outback.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by TG-J (Admin) November 29, 2011 01:00PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Crabby, I've been waiting for your post. Well done, great sentiment. I must admit when I opened up that 1st shot I thought, oh no not again. Phew. Absolutely luv #8 . Keep on cookin".tony
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by hp November 29, 2011 02:29PM reply | quote
posted by hp

Mr. Crabcakes, thanks for rousing my appetite with the dooughnuts, no problem with the length of the story, loved every line.
No. 2,3,4 are great!

Harm
[www.kujaja.com]
[500px.com] [jpgmag.com]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Digitalis November 29, 2011 06:02PM reply | quote
posted by Digitalis

Nice, I especially like 4 & 6!

***Painting with light is the sweetest delight***
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by glojo1 November 30, 2011 10:12AM reply | quote
posted by glojo1

Crabcakes love the photos and the story. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

"Photography has become a passion I want to nourish."

Gloria
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Aaron92 December 20, 2011 06:18PM reply | quote
posted by Aaron92
:'( was gonna say I'm in coz getting a LB for my birthday like 2mora but seems I'm too late :( lol
1 2 3 4 5

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today