Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

6 hours ago by beyond_Life

Dragons Blood

view post

A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011

1 2 3 4 5

Newer Topic | Older Topic

A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by Outback August 29, 2011 09:02AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

This may be a crazy idea but Jørgen's recent 'Local Time' posts got me thinking.

About 25 years ago my son appeared in a local 'Day in the Life'photo essay for my community. The project captured my community from the perspective of hundreds of photographers and covered a 24 hours period from Midnight to 11:59 pm. The entire project was eventually made into a book. Looking back now, it is wonderful snapshot of life back then.

How about a 'Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User' Team project? We agree on a day and anyone who is interested submit one photo (their best)from that given day. It's kind of like the Forum LB Speed Challenge but with no particular theme other than the day. Day, night, at work, from home, intentional art, moment of life, street, sleep, window... just a day where we, as a group, chose to work on one thing for each other.

Thoughts? Or should I slink back to my digital darkroom and plan my next stage in world domination?

Anyway, I am Outback working on it...

Edit- More descriptive title

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 10:28PM by Outback.
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Mamaoval August 29, 2011 10:11AM reply | quote
posted by Mamaoval

No need to slink, John--It sounds intriguing. I'd be game.

Sydney
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Crabcakes August 29, 2011 02:33PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

You've put a seed in the soil of my brain John...and my brain is pretty soily...

...and Slink?...Me thinks not...for nothing slinks like the thinks of an LBender...and many wondrous things grow from such furrows and fallows...such fertile soil...

I'm more than Game...I'm all a-gimbal and a-mimsy...

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by David Morel August 29, 2011 10:25PM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

i am in!

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by ndroo September 01, 2011 10:58AM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Sounds good. I'm in too! :)

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Bender September 02, 2011 10:12AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

I would be in. Sounds like fun. ;)

Peter
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by TG-J (Admin) September 04, 2011 11:03PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

I remember in the 80's they did "a day in the life of Australia". With a name like Outback one would presume you were an Ozzie, but I see no signs of Oz in your Studio Space. But then I live in Oz & I'm not really an Ozzie, altho I think & talk like one.:) tony

What day did you say it was happening, I'll be first, unless Stevenz decides to join in. Just because we are 10-14 hrs ahead of you guys. That is if I don't sleep in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 11:06PM by TG-J.
Re: Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Outback September 05, 2011 01:06AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

I want to give this project adequate lead time so that we can have significant participation from the Forum. Johnny Crabcakes sent me a PM and got me to thinking more about how to set it up. Ideas are welcome here or via PM so don't be shy. If you have a suggestion on how to make it a success please leave a note.

There are still many regulars who have not chimed in on this and I'd like to give them time to see the thread. Too bad we don't have a way to do a DL for the Forum members.... oh Mods.....are you listening ;-)?

I say give it at least another month and see what kind of participation we can build.

John (Outback in my Mind but not Aussie)

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. (Thomas A. Edison)
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Outback September 05, 2011 01:20AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Re-titled thread to more accuratly describe the concept and bumped to top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 01:23AM by Outback.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by BARONDLA September 05, 2011 04:00AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Sounds like a great idea. My town had a Day In The Life event years ago and it was fun to participate in. Remember waiting for the B&W film to develop.

Pentaxians have been doing this for over 5 years. Twice a year Pentaxforums has a Pentax World Day (originally called Pentaxium and started by someone else). Shoot anything that day, using a Pentax, and upload it to the site. It is very popular. Always surprised that no one else seems to do this. Check out the website for tips on how to set up and to see some nice images.
thanks
barondla
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Keri (Admin) September 07, 2011 08:08AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Hi everyone - I made this thread sticky so it stays at the top. Sounds like a great project!

See more of my work at [kerifriedman.com] or [www.flickr.com]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Outback September 07, 2011 12:26PM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Thanks Keri! You're the best!!!

Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by ndroo September 07, 2011 12:34PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Just thinking out loud ... what do you guys think if we do it like ... we submit photos ... one photo for each hour of the day.

We can settle on a fixed number of hours (eg. 8 or 12) then take some photos during each and every of those hours. Pick one best from each hour and post them ... and we'll get to see how/what everyone is doing/seeing during those hours ... from different people from different part of the world.

I did a similar project some time ago with some friends but that's on analogue. We shot 36 frames each ... in a period of 12 hours. Here's a link to it if you are interested.

Hope what I typed above makes sense. I ain't good at describing or writing. :D

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by ndroo September 07, 2011 12:35PM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Keri
Hi everyone - I made this thread sticky so it stays at the top. Sounds like a great project!

Great!

Once we fix a date, can we officially make it a Lensbaby Day? :D

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Crabcakes September 08, 2011 06:29AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Let's hear it for International Lensbaby Day!

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by wefi September 13, 2011 11:50PM reply | quote
posted by wefi

Sounds like fun, and I'd like to participate. Something from our everyday sounds like an interesting aspect for me. I think I take things and scenes around the house for granted....

Anne
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Michael from Lensbaby (Admin) September 14, 2011 10:09AM reply | quote
This sounds really great! Looking forward to participating and seeing the results.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by hp September 14, 2011 06:11PM reply | quote
posted by hp

I'm in! Sounds fun...What day was the first lensbaby introduced ? Might be a good day to make lensbaby-day.

Harm
[www.kujaja.com]
[500px.com] [jpgmag.com]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by DMacDzigns September 15, 2011 06:27AM reply | quote
posted by DMacDzigns

I'm in. Provides another good reason to use my Lensbaby. You may post this on Facebook too if you haven't already done so.

DMacDzigns / www.DMacDzigns.com
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by CMH September 16, 2011 10:39AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

I think I may have that book!

And yes, I'm in.

Cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Digitalis October 04, 2011 07:17AM reply | quote
posted by Digitalis

Although I am a beginner I would like to participate if that's o.k. with you

***Painting with light is the sweetest delight***
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Dinkum October 06, 2011 06:37AM reply | quote
posted by Dinkum

I mostly slink about in the shadows of this site but this sounds like so much fun that I will have to have a go at it.

Tasmania did a similar thing on Australia Day this year but I was unable to take part. So now I get a second chance!
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by waniek October 06, 2011 07:11AM reply | quote
posted by waniek

Good idea! Sounds like good fun and lots of creative pics from around the world....
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by ndroo October 15, 2011 09:23AM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Hmm. How should we kick start this?

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by Outback October 16, 2011 10:41AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Okay, let's do this.

November 11, 2011 is the target date. That's an easy date to remember! 111111

Criteria:

1) You must shoot with a Lensbaby. Model, lens and adjunct is up to the individual shooter.

2) Subject matter. This is a tough one. I'd like to suggest that you shoot something that illustrates the uniqueness of the day. Something that cannot be replicated again. That is, capture a moment in history. People, self-portraits, activities, something in nature, etc. but if you are in the studio that day, that's okay too. Try to make it something that reflects what you were doing and where you were that day.

3) Black and White / Color. Your choice.

4) Submit 1-12 photos.

5) Write a narrative to go along with the photo(s). In the narrative, please include the Lensbaby model and the various components you used so that others can learn from you. Also, in the narrative, please include the location i.e. name of city/town and country and the time the photograph was taken denoting a.m. or p.m. (or 24 hour clock if you prefer.) When this project is all said and done, I envision a chronological round the clock record beginning at 12:01 a.m. and ending at 11:59 p.m. local times. In that way we can compare 5:00 p.m in Australia to 5:00 p.m in Seattle through the eyes of the various LB photographers.

6) Post processing. I think most of us post process to some degree. Use your discretion.If you go heavy into post processing please indicate what you did in your narrative. The idea is to focus(ow!) on the Lensbaby as the creative tool and not lose the image integrity in the Digital Darkroom.

7) November 30 will be the submission deadline. Shoot on the 11th but have your post processing completed and photo loaded to the thread no later than the last day of November.

8) Spread the word to other Forum members.

Hopefully this is clearer than mud. But if not, shoot me a Private Message via your control panel in the Studio Space

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 11:07PM by Outback.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - 11/11/11 posted by Outback October 22, 2011 04:53AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

Please help spread the word on this project. Either bump the thread, mention it via private message to your Forum buddies or add my entire signature below to yours so that it appears in your posts and links back to this thread.

Let's capture some global Lensbaby history for posterity!

Forum Participants who have indicated interest to Date (08 November 2011) are:

1. Mamaoval
2. Crabcakes
3. David Morel
4. Ndroo
5. Bender
6. TG-J
7. Outback
8. Barondla
9. Keri
10. Wefi
11. Michael
12. Hp
13. DMacDzigns
14. CMH
15. Digitalis
16. Dinkum
17. Waniek
18. donnaolm
19. jffoto
20. Mike Bokeh
21. pathography
22. janvanommen
23. stevenz
24. popquiz
25. ~Angie
26. Andrei
27. Lucinity
28. glojo1
29. Petra
30. francesco
31. RhondainMA
32. Lucy
33. srpatife
34. MarieJ
35. kalli
36. wsphotodesign
37. Simon_Rooke

38. Your Handle Here!!!

Edited 22 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 11:00PM by Outback.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by donnaolm October 23, 2011 03:14AM reply | quote
posted by donnaolm

You couldn't have picked a better day! The local high school orchestra is having a waltz as a fundraiser on that night. It's always such a beautiful event. It's like prom for the entire family with the music being played by the high school orchestra. Now if I could just find a formal dress with optic sized pockets!
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - 11 November 2011 posted by Outback October 23, 2011 04:47AM reply | quote
posted by Outback

donnaolm
You couldn't have picked a better day! Now if I could just find a formal dress with optic sized pockets!

Might I suggest the tastefully designed and eminently user friendly LensBaby System Bag worn rakisly over your shoulder? Perhaps with matching Creative Aperture ear rings? You will undoubtedly be the Lady Gaga of the ball and the envy of everyone there!

(Man I should get a commission for this stuff ;-)

Whatever you choose donnaolm, welcome aboard and good luck with your shoot! It sounds elegant already!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 04:48AM by Outback.
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - Photo Project Idea for the Forum posted by donnaolm October 23, 2011 07:23AM reply | quote
posted by donnaolm

LOL - Outback, your wardrobe suggestions make me smile. You are right, my Lensbaby system bag will be a stylish accessory for the occasion but I'm not sure I can pull off Creative Aperture earrings. Hmmmm, perhaps a necklace with a magnetic pendant to hold a creative aperture for quick swaps between my star and musical note disc?

Thanks for the wardrobe suggestions. I will look for you on Project Runway! ;-)
Re: A Day in the Life of the Lensbaby User - DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2011 posted by jffoto October 25, 2011 04:14PM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
This sounds really great, I'm in.

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
1 2 3 4 5

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today