Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 days ago by jffoto

Re: Tulipmania

view post

Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Keri (Admin) October 12, 2010 01:32AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Scout is here! The first Lensbaby lens that does not bend, it's ideally suited for Fisheye photography (and comes with the Fisheye optic installed). Your fisheye photos will always be perfectly centered. It works with all Lensbaby optics and is also particularly well suited for the Pinhole/Zone Plate and Soft Focus optics. Check it out:

http://bit.ly/bs7WTA

See more of my work at [kerifriedman.com] or [www.flickr.com]
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Kurt Norlin October 12, 2010 07:04AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

I really wish that had known about the scout ahead of time. I bought the TT+composer for my Oly EP2 about three weeks ago, but the Scout would have been a much better choice. I am after more of a Toy Camera look - I shoot straight ahead, use the plastic lens, select the 6x6 in camera ratio, and rarely shift the sweet spot. I just ordered the scout today because it will give me the set up I need, but I am unhappy that we were not given a heads up on this. Kurt

Happy Trails
[kurtnorlinphotography.com]

[altviznotebook.blogspot.com]

Flickr: [www.flickr.com]
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Bender October 12, 2010 07:07AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

I just bought one off the site today and I'm psyched. I think this was a really great idea. You need a lens cap solution for the fisheye though, c'mon guys! :D

Nice street corner shot Keri. :)

Peter
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Bender October 12, 2010 07:15AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

How about a mini shower cap? That would be awesome, simple and cheap to make. It would work well on the Scout, Composer or Muse.

Peter
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by picnic October 12, 2010 07:40AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
There was a cap offered earlier. i found the offer on the 'how to do it' forum I think. I sent a request to LB and received a cap shortly after. I leave my FE in my original Composer now as I use the TT/Front Focus as my 'bender' now.

Diane B
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by picnic October 12, 2010 07:45AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Kurt, are you planning to use the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapter? I prefer not having to use the adapter with the TT/FF as opposed to using the original Composer with the adapter as you'll have to do also since there isn't an m4/3rds mount offered.

Diane

Kurt Norlin
I really wish that had known about the scout ahead of time. I bought the TT+composer for my Oly EP2 about three weeks ago, but the Scout would have been a much better choice. I am after more of a Toy Camera look - I shoot straight ahead, use the plastic lens, select the 6x6 in camera ratio, and rarely shift the sweet spot. I just ordered the scout today because it will give me the set up I need, but I am unhappy that we were not given a heads up on this. Kurt
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Keri (Admin) October 12, 2010 07:58AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Peter - shoot me a direct message and we'll get you a Fisheye cap. The Fisheye Optic now comes with them and we had made an announcement a while back to those who bought a Fisheye Optic before the cap was available. Happy to get one to you now.

Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Kurt Norlin October 12, 2010 09:13AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

Diane
Thanks for the info. I just did not read the mount options carefully enough when I placed the order :( I have the TT/FF in the micro 4/3's, but was looking for a more compact non-shift lens to fill my needs. Kurt

Happy Trails

Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by ndroo October 12, 2010 11:29AM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Exactly what I want to use the FE lens! The FE on the Composer drives me nuts sometimes when trying to make the 'circle' fit right in the middle. :D

Keri ... do I get a FE lens cap too? I'm sick of covering it with tissue paper when I go out shooting. Hahaha!

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Eisbrecher October 12, 2010 01:33PM reply | quote
posted by Eisbrecher

Got my Fisheye and Soft Optic just a week ago... wish I´ve known this back then. :(
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by rannestad October 12, 2010 03:40PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

It's fascinating to see how the lensbaby product evolve. Looking back, there has been a lot of changes since the original lb0. Lensbaby used to be all about bending, now it's more, which is great.

There are a couple of things which remains before your setup is perfect:

1. A sharp flat field lens, or at least a lens with more flat field than the double glass. Could be like a 1800's Petzval lens (4 glass), a triplet or maybe a early 1900's Tessar. The advantage of this lens is the tilt and ability to create custom apertures. You can also use this on the muse and full frame DSLRs, which is not the case for the tilt transformer.

2. Vignette control. I have experimented a little bit with vignetting, and I am sure the LB team can come up with a solution for introducing soft vignetting made in-camera. Actually, the 1.6x converter on a full frame camera introduces some of this vignetting, so it should be possible to do. Look at the two attached images. The first one is with the 1.6x. Nice vignetting, isn't it? The second is with the .6x. Not so nice vignetting. It would be awesome if you found out how to control that, and possibly change the amount of vignetting. That would probably be a great feature for the new Scout, since it is much more difficult to control on the benders.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Yossarian October 12, 2010 06:23PM reply | quote
posted by Yossarian
Whats with the customers like me who already bought the Fisheye Optics? Will there be an offer to buy the Scout without glass, too?
I always thought that the Fisheye with the bending lenses was somehow a misconstruction, as it turns out very hard to straighten it.
So please, give me the Scout Lens only!
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Eisbrecher October 12, 2010 10:35PM reply | quote
posted by Eisbrecher

Yossarian
Whats with the customers like me who already bought the Fisheye Optics? Will there be an offer to buy the Scout without glass, too?
I always thought that the Fisheye with the bending lenses was somehow a misconstruction, as it turns out very hard to straighten it.
So please, give me the Scout Lens only!

That would be really fair. Second for this.
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Bender October 12, 2010 10:54PM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Yes, I love the idea of a vignetting hood. Something that screws onto the front threads of the LB lenses. If it were somehow adjustable that would be cool too but even a fixed hood would be great.

I've been shooting a lot of Lomo stuff lately and the vignette effect is so cool. It's something that you endlessly hear most photographers moaning about with regular lenses, complaining about slight dropoffs on the edges that I honestly cannot even see half the time. But I am starting to embrace the effect.

Peter
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by rannestad October 13, 2010 12:26AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Vignetting is a funny thing. It is something you read about in lens review, and which is negative in that sense. Post processing applications like Lightroom have the functionality to add vignetting. What an interesting paradox.

One of the so called negative features of the full frame sensor is that lenses tend to vignette, which is regarded as negative. I have the Canon 5D and the 50mm f1.4, which vignettes quite a lot. In all reviews of that combo that is treated as negative. I love this combo at f1.4. Not only because of the narrow depth of field, but mainly because of the vignetting. No post process vignetting can be made this beautiful.

A lensbaby vignette add-on will/must be more pronounced than the one of the f1.4, but the point is that an in-camera vignette will probably be much better (and more "pure") than a post processed one. It will be a challenge to cover the sensor size from 4/3 to 35mm full frame though. I vote for Full Frame :)

My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Keri (Admin) October 13, 2010 01:37AM reply | quote
posted by Keri

Hi everyone - we are working on a way to sell the Scout body only. Stay tuned for more info soon - as soon as we have it we'll let you all know. Ndroo - shoot me an email! :)

Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Kurt Norlin October 13, 2010 04:30AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

Hi Keri
As long as we are wishing - I'd really like to have (and would buy right now) the Scout in micro 4/3 without any optics. Kurt

Happy Trails

Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by ndroo October 13, 2010 10:59AM reply | quote
posted by ndroo

Keri
Ndroo - shoot me an email! :)

Done just that. :) Thanks!

fUzzYeYebAlls
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by picnic October 13, 2010 12:03PM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Kurt Norlin
Diane
Thanks for the info. I just did not read the mount options carefully enough when I placed the order :( I have the TT/FF in the micro 4/3's, but was looking for a more compact non-shift lens to fill my needs. Kurt

Kurt, if you like the Scout you should be able to find the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adapter at a relatively reasonable price now. Both Panny and Oly make one and I have heard of some 3rd party ones. It doesn't add much weight or length. My annoyance is that I use my adapter with several lenses so had to mount/dismount, whereas if you only use it with the Scout you could just leave it as one unit.

Diane
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Kurt Norlin October 14, 2010 05:38AM reply | quote
posted by Kurt Norlin

Hi Diane
Good point. Thanks for the suggestion. I may do that as I have already received the Scout with the Ole 4/3 mount (darn but LB is fast - got it the next day) I did call and talked with customer service, and I can return it. I think I'll slow down and think about it for today. Kurt

Happy Trails

Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Eisbrecher June 04, 2011 04:58PM reply | quote
posted by Eisbrecher

My Olympus just died and I´m changing manufacturer to Pentax... I had ordered Composer Pro (I have Composer) and Sweet 35 from local reseller for Oly and now changed it for Pentax k-mount. I have waited that order for couble months now and thinking ordering it straight from Lensbaby.

I remembered this topic and wondered is there any new info getting Scout without any optic? I have them all allready.
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Superthor June 04, 2011 10:30PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Well,i think i stay with My composer,as the Sony E-mount adapters are rather expensive.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by vigy June 13, 2011 07:07AM reply | quote
posted by vigy

#1 is my fav, fantastic...

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Kirsten (Admin) June 14, 2011 07:46AM reply | quote
posted by Kirsten

The Composer Pro with Sweet 35 is in high demand and we are shipping them out as fast as we can. Many of our dealers and distributors are waiting for them. I shot you an e-mail about some purchasing options for the Composer Pro and the Scout.

Kirsten Hunter
Director of Customer Happiness

See more of my work on my blog:
www.livefrombeechstreet.blogspot.com
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by risamay June 16, 2011 04:44AM reply | quote
posted by risamay

Kirsten
The Composer Pro with Sweet 35 is in high demand and we are shipping them out as fast as we can. Many of our dealers and distributors are waiting for them. I shot you an e-mail about some purchasing options for the Composer Pro and the Scout.

I just got my Composer Pro recently via Amazon and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I've been using it with the Sweet 35 Optic - which is awesome as well - the two together are fantastic. Very happy camper here!

These are my first shots testing the dynamic duo. More to come.

Cheers, Marisa
[marisawilliams.com]
Re: Check out the brand new Lensbaby Scout! posted by Superthor June 16, 2011 05:28PM reply | quote
posted by Superthor
Does the composer PRO come in a version suitable for Sony nex-5? My old composer is feeling a little beat up,because of heavy usage.

TRYING IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS FAILURE.

Homer Simpson

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today