Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

2 days ago by CatGargoyle

Re: November walk

view post

Major new product launch announced first here on the forum

1 2 3

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 28, 2010 01:28AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Little to show but thought some would be interested in something from an 'adapted' TT, esp. as compared to a Canon EF TS. The first photo is of the Panasonic G1 with TT plus the Fotodiox Nikon to FD adapter and an FD 35 f/2.8 lens. There is some glass which, IMO, degrades just a bit, but in many cases won't be a factor. The second is a shot with the GF1, TT, adapter and FD 35 f/2.8--in the rain. The third, for comparison, is a shot with the GF1, EOS adapter and the Canon EF 45 f/2.8 TS. Both shots have been process from RAW in Lightroom and shot at f/2.8. To add, the FOV is altered with the TT and adapter--FOV is less wide.

Lots of fun shooting to come when the weather cooperates. Also, looking forward to getting the focus front also.

Diane

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 01:16PM by picnic.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 30, 2010 12:56AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Thought I would add this. I noticed some decided difference in FOV between same lens with TT/adapter and with FD Cameraquest adapter direct to camera. Today I did a bit more checking and it appears to be as much as 10mm. Not controlled but carefully done LOL. I shot with a 24/2.8 with the TT and the Fotodiox Nikon to FD adapter stacked and then with 35/2.8 and FD to m4/3rds adapter only. The FOV is almost identical--I'd hedge about 1 less mm. So be warned that if you prefer a certain len's FOV you will need to go wider.

I have a Nikon manual focus 35/2 due tomorrow from KEH so now that our east coast weather appears to be breaking I may have some shots to share. My focus front is also due tomorrow.

Diane
--
Diane B
[www.pbase.com]
G1 gallery [www.pbase.com]
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) October 06, 2010 01:40AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your tests here.

The optics in the Fotodiox adapter act like a teleconverter, increasing the focal length. Any lens mount adapter that has optics in it will increase the focal length of the lens that is mounted on the front.

Looking forward to seeing some images with your Composer Focus Front.

Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by bwilson October 07, 2010 03:34PM reply | quote
posted by bwilson
Just a comment and a wish.

The wish first I guess, although they are connected.
I wish for an EOS mount Transformer.

And the comment, which I guess if really an answer to the 'why' of my wish.
There are numerous adapters for other systems to the EOS mount, but there are few to the F mount.

Those couple of mm that the EOS sits closer to the focal plane allow room to fit a bit of metal so F mount lenses can be used.
In the case of the TT, there is no worry about mechanical or electronic coupling, so the issue of the EOS and the newer Nikon lenses not having an aperture control isn't a big deal - if the TT had an EOS mount, most people wouldn't put EOS lenses on it, they'd use adapters (sell these too, another potential revenue source) to use their Nikon, or Olympus, or Leica R, or Pentax K (or M42), or whatever lenses on the TT.

For the question of Leica R lenses on the Nikon mount, there isn't a simple adapter, but there are replacement bayonet mounts for the Leica lenses that will allow them to mount on the Nikon F mount. I assume you lose aperture coupling, but in this case that's a moot point.

I've got a couple of the Lensbabys, and may end up with the TT, depending on how my experience with the Italian version goes, it looks a bit more fragile, but it claims to tilt a bit more and is in EOS mount.

I do have a 28mm nikon shift lens on the way, super cheap T/S if the combo works.

--Brad
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by LPowell October 07, 2010 04:23PM reply | quote
posted by LPowell
Here's another vote for a Canon FD version of the Transformer. I tried mixing in a Nikon lens with my collection of Canon FD lens, but they really don't play well together! Nikon lens rings rotate in the opposite direction, and when you're used to Canons it really throws you off. The FD-to-Nikon adapters aren't good either - the m43 crop factor already makes your focal length seem twice as narrow, and the Nikon adapter would make it even worse.

Also, the reason Canon FD lens are so popular among m43 shooters is because we don't have to compete with anyone else for them. The Nikon manual focus lens are still in active use and highly prized by Nikon loyalists. No way could I find an affordable Nikon match to my FD 20-35mm f3.5L!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 04:30PM by LPowell.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by ranfoto October 08, 2010 03:55AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Sure looks like the new TT-Baby has opened a can of "Wants".

Just goes to show you how popular Bending has come, even if folks don't want just aberration in their imaging.....

Adapting ol'optics to the latest sensors is very hot topic.

Have you seen the latest huge sensors in beta.....may not be too practical for picture snapping, but for resolution it's just a matter of time before digital opens up another universe of imaging standards.....film as we have known it will be strickly an art medium ......could be a good thing though.....as the price of silver halide images will finally become worthy of investing :)
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic October 09, 2010 11:19AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
i've figured about a 1.4x extender. The FD35 is my 'standard' while the FD24 my 35 though I now have a Nikon 35/2 so its easier to carry the FD35 with the adapter for 49-50 and the 35 as---well. LOL (but with 2x they are 70 and 100 as 35mm FF--hard for me to get past that since I shoot FF too) I particularly like 35 in FF and consequently like the WA on the Focus Front. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some posted here with FF amd the TT with FDs from last weekend. Love the new TT/FF combo with the wider FOV than my original.

Craig
Hi Diane,

Thanks for your tests here.

The optics in the Fotodiox adapter act like a teleconverter, increasing the focal length. Any lens mount adapter that has optics in it will increase the focal length of the lens that is mounted on the front.

Looking forward to seeing some images with your Composer Focus Front.

Craig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 11:33AM by picnic.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic October 09, 2010 11:29AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Since I generally shoot slowly with the LB (as I do with a TS) i'm okay mixing the NIkon 35/2 with my FDs since I have time to think but admit it threw me a bit at first. . I've mentioned above my FD lens (with adapter) conversions to suit FL I like with addition of 28/2 as effective 40 (my 50 and 135 are too long for me with TT)---but I'm sure not opposed to an FD mount though I'm not going to add a 4th LB anytime soon LOL

LPowell
Here's another vote for a Canon FD version of the Transformer. I tried mixing in a Nikon lens with my collection of Canon FD lens, but they really don't play well together! Nikon lens rings rotate in the opposite direction, and when you're used to Canons it really throws you off. The FD-to-Nikon adapters aren't good either - the m43 crop factor already makes your focal length seem twice as narrow, and the Nikon adapter would make it even worse.

Also, the reason Canon FD lens are so popular among m43 shooters is because we don't have to compete with anyone else for them. The Nikon manual focus lens are still in active use and highly prized by Nikon loyalists. No way could I find an affordable Nikon match to my FD 20-35mm f3.5L!
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Fredrik October 10, 2010 05:52PM reply | quote
posted by Fredrik
Sorry if this has been asked, and answered, before but can I use the Tilt transformer as a ordinary adapter for Nikon F lenses? It would be great to be able to use both the tilt function and then easily center it and use it as an ordinary adapter.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) October 11, 2010 07:55AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Fredrik,

The Tilt Tranformer will give you a regular adapter with a few drawbacks compared with an ordinary adapter for using Nikon lenses on Micro 4/3rds cameras.

First issue is that you will find that zoom lenses that normally hold their focus when zooming will no longer hold their focus when zoomed. This is due the backfocus adjustment that allows for Nikon lenses to focus on infinity across the image plane when tilted.

Second issue is a lack of precision in finding an exactly flat position for your Tilt Transformer. You will be eyeballing your TT for flatness versus a precision ordinary adapter which is very close to perfectly flat.

That said, I use my TT as an ordinary adapter all the time (I've been using my Nikon optics on a Tilt Transformer on a Panasonic G1 then a GH1 since February or March) and have only had one incident (when I pulled it out of my bag without checking flatness and it was not flat) where any amount of tilt was visible in the final still or video image.

Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by karenpoore October 12, 2010 10:02PM reply | quote
posted by karenpoore
Hi,
I have been looking at Lens Baby for a number of years, but I have never purchased! I do not fully understand all of this, BUT I just purchased a NEX 5 (and I am really liking it) and I am reading something about this tilt transformer. [lensbaby.com].
Please what all can I do with all your products (I need some clarity)and the NEX 5? Can I use your macro system too?
Thanks for your time ...
Karen in Austin Texas who stepped down from a Sony a700!
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by hp November 24, 2010 05:45AM reply | quote
posted by hp

i'd love to see a screw on hand operated shutter system for the LB wich allows you to double expose pictures on a digital camera.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by FTLbaby December 09, 2010 05:51AM reply | quote
posted by FTLbaby
Some interesting bits I picked up from reading this thread... and a question (or two.)

A The composer that comes with the tt is slightly different than the original composer. It has an additional glass adapter that makes it into a 40mm (as opposed to the 50mm original.)

B The composer that comes with the tt is slightly faster than the original composer... f1.6 vs. f1.8.

C The composer that comes with the tt is NOT compatible with the FE (Fish eye Optic.) But it is compatible with all the other accessories.

D You CAN use ALL the Nikon F lenses ever made (including AI, AIS, AF, AFD and the new ones without aperture rings!)

E You CAN change the aperture on Nikon lenses without aperture rings. Watch the video to learn how.

F You loose focus when you zoom because they had to change to flange? distance to accommodate infinity focus. That means you should zoom first then focus.

G A lot of people are unclear on the concept, but Sam and Craig are infinitely patient!

Thanks Lensbaby for making my E-P1 even more fun to use than it was before and for opening up all manner of creative potential!
1 2 3

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today