Lensbaby Studio Forums

Major new product launch announced first here on the forum

1 2 3

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 22, 2010 02:27AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi Diane,

Please share the results of your experimentation.

Sam

see with the eyes of a child
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by pako September 22, 2010 02:37AM reply | quote
posted by pako
Craig
We developed the Tilt Transformer to work with Nikon F mount lenses because:

4. out-of-date mounts like Minolta MD, Canon FD or screw mount are no longer available new, thus making the appeal of using these lenses on our system limited to a smaller audience
Hi Craig,
Out-of-Date mounts doesn't mean dead mounts: just do a search on eBay and you'll find adapters for 4/3; M4/3 and NEX for almost every single mount out there.

I agree about the quality and quantity of Nikon lenses, but I won't buy Nikon lenses in order to use this new Composer...

Regards

Pako Dominguez
----------------------
www.phototeka.net
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by rannestad September 22, 2010 05:18AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Just a clarifying question regarding focal length: The new composer use the same optics as the old ones, which is approx. 50mm? That means approx 100mm equivalent on a m4/3.

I understand that the fisheye is not comnpatible, but what about the other converters, such as .6x, .42x?. As in the "old" system?

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
-----------------------------------------
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 22, 2010 05:31AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi Rannestad,

Yes, the focal length on M4/3 cameras will have the 2x increase. Luckily, our accessory lenses will work with the Lensbaby optics and widen the field of view back up.

sam

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by TG-J (Admin) September 22, 2010 09:00AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Hi Sam the report on DP review talks about the double glass optic having a fstop of 1.6. Is this a new DG optic or misinformation? tony
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 22, 2010 10:15AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi Tony,

The press release on DP Review is correct. It's the same Double Glass optic as in our other products, but given the different physical configuration of the camera bodies, the apertures are brighter. With no disk installed it's f/1.6 and then it stops down from there.

Cheers,

Sam

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by plevyadophy September 22, 2010 10:24AM reply | quote
posted by plevyadophy
Craig
These are great questions and I am glad to see so much excitement about this system. We have products in the works that we can't really discuss. All of your expressed desires are being taken into account (many of those expressed here have been things I have wanted since before the Original Lensbaby was a reality).

To clarify about the products we are introducing now, the Tilt Transformer works on Sony NEX and Micro Four Thirds cameras and allows Nikon lenses to be mounted and tilted up to 12 degrees (a lot more than a traditional tilt shift which, in the case of the Canon 17mm is only 6.5 degrees). If you have a Micro Four Thirds camera and a Nikon lens, all you need now is the Tilt Transformer to make them work together in super fun ways.

We developed the Tilt Transformer to work with Nikon F mount lenses because:

1. the backfocus distance of Nikon lenses is the longest of all the (35mm) SLR systems, allowing the most amount of tilt in our Tilt Transformer
2. Nikon lenses are known for their high quality
3. there are tons of Nikon lenses available in the F-mount, many great quality used ones for very cheap
4. out-of-date mounts like Minolta MD, Canon FD or screw mount are no longer available new, thus making the appeal of using these lenses on our system limited to a smaller audience
5. Canon, the only manufacturer with a current lens system that has as many or more lenses in the world than Nikon, uses an electronic aperture system, eliminating any possibility of controlling the aperture with our system. Users would be limited to shooting wide open if we were to use a Canon mount.

As I said, we have a bunch of stuff in development now and I am very excited to get them out to you. Please continue to ask questions and let us know what you want. Your ideas are always taken into account when we sit down to determine what our next product offerings will be.

Have a beautiful rest of your day.

-Craig
Hi,

Thanks for your very detailed post.

Just have two questions.

1. Lenses

I note your comments re Nikon lenses.

What I would like to know is, would you be willing to make one of these tilt adapters for Leica R mount lenses?

The Leica R mount/back focus is quite deep (it may well be deeper than that of Nikon mount), as can be witnessed from looking at the official Panasonic Leica R to microFT lens adaptor.

Further, Leica R lenses are still obtainable new, and there is a healthy (and inexpensive) used market in these lenses.

Then there is the fact of Leica's long association with Panasonic as well as the fact that a great many folks have Leica glass that they have been using with microFT (indeed Leica lens owners were amongst the early adoptors of microFT system lens adaptation).

2. Degrees of tilt

Will it be possible to set the lens to a particular degree of tilt?

And once tilted, will it be possbile to lock the lens in place?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

plevyadophy
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 22, 2010 11:08AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
I would think from the photo that there are no degree markings and its done visually. There is a lock according to the video (and how the Composer works).

[lensbaby.com]

Diane
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 22, 2010 11:47AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Good questions, plevyadophy,

It would be very nice to include Leica R mount compatibility. Before we make that decision, we might have to wait and see the size of the current market. As a small company, we have to be very careful how we invest money. If you had any market analyses that showed the possible market size, that would be helpful to us.

Diane is correct in her statements: there are no degree guides on the ball. That's something that we could look at for the future, but right now the swivel ball is solid black. The problem of including degree marks could be harder than it sounds, as the ball swivels freely in all directions. In my own experience, after a little practice you can line up a slice of focus front point A to point B in the photo without great difficulty.

The locking ring is quite sturdy, as is the metal ball. We expect you could put a pretty hefty lens onto the ball and lock it into place.

Sam

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by BARONDLA September 22, 2010 12:18PM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

All Nikon lenses use F mount, but they don't all have aperture rings. Is there a way to set the aperture on newer Nikon lenses? Think it could be done on the Tilt Transformer by actuating the lever on back of Nikon lenses. Does the Transformer do this? Don't want to be looking for the "wrong" Nikon lens series.
thanks
barondla
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 22, 2010 02:03PM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi Barondia,

I am happy to say the answer is yes, Craig and company came up with a very clever way to change the apertures of Nikon G series lenses, which have no manual aperture change ring. The video shows this better than I can explain in words: Just click on thehttp://lensbaby.com/video.php?v=lenses-http://http://lensbaby.com/video.php?v=lenses-composer-tt]http://lensbaby.com/video.php?v=lenses-composer-tt[/url]

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) September 22, 2010 02:43PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Rannestad,

The Composer Focus Front that bayonets onto the front of the Tilt Transformer and accepts our Optic Swap optics comes with a Double Glass optic and an optical adapter that modifies the focal length to 40mm and changes the effective apertures of each disk to one stop brighter than the Double Glass optic alone. Wide open the maximum aperture changes to f1.6, not quite a full stop brighter. So, 80mm is the effective focal length on Micro Four Thirds cameras, 60mm on Sony NEX bodies.

plevyadophy,

It appears that a new bayonet will solve the issue on Leica R lenses if you want to dedicate them for use with Nikon cameras (and our Tilt Transformer): [www.leitax.com]

I will look into the requirements for Leica R lenses on our Tilt Transformer.

Barondla,

Yes, you can use G series lenses with full, though not indexed for what f-stop they are set at, aperture control. Using a standard Nikon lens with the aperture ring will be easiest but you do have control over G series lenses.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by TG-J (Admin) September 22, 2010 02:57PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Thanks Sam, of course "The inverse square law". tony

Sorry, no it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 08:48PM by TG-J.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Bender September 22, 2010 08:44PM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Here's a question for you...is the build quality of the Tilt Composer any different than the current Composer? One of my great desires is for a more high end built Composer and while this new tool still looks pretty much like the regular version I wonder if it has a more precision feel to it?

Peter
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) September 23, 2010 12:29AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

The Tilt Transformer has a highly polished, black anodized, aluminum ball that tilts within precision acetal races giving it a much smoother tilt action than the plastic ball on the Composer.

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 23, 2010 02:35AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Is it possible to add the Composer element to the Tilt Transformer later? I bought just the TT since I own the Composer and understand the FE can't be used with it.

Also, can the 2 WA converters be used with it. Since its effectively 80mm rather than 100 this would get me wider yet with the Composer. I ordered the TT only but now wonder if I made a mistake in which one. LOL its in transit though

Diane
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by BARONDLA September 23, 2010 10:39AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Glad to hear any Nikon lens will work. You might consider an Olympus OM one in the future, since many m4/3 people have older OM lenses - they are plentiful used.
thanks
barondla
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 23, 2010 10:48AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi Diane,

We can certainly do a special order for you for the Composer Focus Front.

Bardondla, that is good feedback. We will consider this idea.

Sam

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by TG-J (Admin) September 23, 2010 01:23PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Sam or Craig, is it possible to tame the CA on the single glass optic, I love this lens for B&W and some color applications but often find myself going back in on some color shots & removing the blue fringing & color bleed that is a characteristic of this lens. I love the blur characteristic of this lens but feel I struggle some times under certain lighting situations to maintain color separation. Would a coated single optic address this. I realize the single optic is primarily an organic look, but would a coated single optic fall somewhere between it and a double. Thanks. Love what you're doing.tony

My observations are based on LBO, I am presuming Single glass optic is identical.tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 01:27PM by TG-J.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by hp September 23, 2010 03:34PM reply | quote
posted by hp

is there not some flexible solution to connect the contacts of canon lenses to the camera body? It would be nice to see a tilt shift converter for SLR as well (using full frame lenses on a crop body).
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 23, 2010 11:13PM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Craig said:
The Composer Focus Front that bayonets onto the front of the Tilt Transformer and accepts our Optic Swap optics comes with a Double Glass optic and an optical adapter that modifies the focal length to 40mm and changes the effective apertures of each disk to one stop brighter than the Double Glass optic alone. Wide open the maximum aperture changes to f1.6, not quite a full stop brighter. So, 80mm is the effective focal length on Micro Four Thirds cameras, 60mm on Sony NEX bodies.

I want to be sure I understand what Craig is saying. The original Composer is an effective 100 mm on an m4/3rds with the double glass optic. So does the Composer/TT combo have an effective 80mm FOV (I didn't see anything on the product page about an optical adapter that modifies the focal length--is this built into the "combo" Composer and not an additional screw on or drop in?) ? I have 2 WA converters. If I add the 0.42 will that give me an effective 34mm FOV? If so that, plus the maximum aperture of 1.6, are good reasons for me buying the additional Composer to go with my in transit TT.

My Fotodiox Nikon to FD adapter is also in transit so I should have both next week. If the adapter route works well, this should be a way for many people that have legacy lenses for their m4/3rds that Lensbaby won't make mounts for to be able to use the TT. I feel sure I'll add a couple older Nikons in 20-50 FL range to the mix also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 11:14PM by picnic.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) September 24, 2010 12:20AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

"does the Composer/TT combo have an effective 80mm FOV (I didn't see anything on the product page about an optical adapter that modifies the focal length--is this built into the "combo" Composer and not an additional screw on or drop in?) ?"

Yes, there is an included optical adapter that changes the focal length to 40mm and increases the effective aperture. This screws into the 37mm threads and all of our accessories are compatible with this adapter which also has 37mm threads (and enough room to accommodate the 0.42x Super Wide.

"I have 2 WA converters. If I add the 0.42 will that give me an effective 34mm FOV? If so that, plus the maximum aperture of 1.6, are good reasons for me buying the additional Composer to go with my in transit TT."

Yes, you will get an effective 34mm FOV when using the Composer Focus Front on your Tilt Transformer on your M4/3rds camera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 12:21AM by Craig.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by sam (Moderator) September 24, 2010 02:09AM reply | quote
posted by sam

Hi Tony, thanks for the idea for a coated single glass optic. That's definitely an idea worth considering and we will talk about it in our planning meetings.

hp - we hear you!

Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) September 24, 2010 02:12AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Tony, the single glass in our Optic Swap system is slightly different and maybe a bit better in relation to color convergence, however, any single element lens will focus the spectrum of colors split up so that when red is in focus, green and blue are not. This goes for the sweet spot as well as the blur. A slightly worse than our Double Glass optic may be what you are after though you may want to try the Double Glass optic wide open if you have not done so already.

-Craig

You could not step twice into the same rivers; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus of Ephesus
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 24, 2010 03:34AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
Thanks so much Craig. Didn't mean to make this thread a TT support thread LOL but the answers to my questions might help someone else. Now I'm def. going to order the Composer module. In considering I think I will insert the FE in my 4/3rds mount with adapter and carry it and then mount the m4/3rds TT with lens or Composer and carry the 2 WA converters plus macro and I'm set. I needed some impetus to get out of a photo rut and this will be it. I'm expecting the TT tomorrow but the FD adapter next week. In the meantime I'm in a Nikkor 35 f/2 auction and hoping. Lots of discussion about this on other photo forums too. Intro at Photokina was a great move.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 03:35AM by picnic.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) September 24, 2010 07:56AM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Sounds like a great plan. Please keep us posted on your progress and thoughts on these products.

Do note that the Fisheye is the only optic in our line that is not compatible with the TT/CFF (Composer) for Micro Four Thirds.

Craig
Re: CLARIFICATION posted by platscha September 24, 2010 10:44AM reply | quote
posted by platscha
Do not thik my previous question was answered, I get it now it wont work on Nikon camera but with the lens on 4/3 cameras.

Does this work or do something when used with the composer?
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Craig (Admin) September 24, 2010 05:11PM reply | quote
posted by Craig

Yes, a Nikon Composer on the front of the Tilt Transformer gives you all of your Composer options at their native (50mm for five of the optics, 12mm for Fisheye) focal lengths (effective focal lengths of 100/24mm).
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by picnic September 27, 2010 11:04AM reply | quote
posted by picnic
I now have the Nikon to FD adapter and it works great with the TT. This will certainly open up the use of the TT with legacy lenses. I tried it with an FD 24/2.8, 28/2, 35/2.8 and 50/1.8. Nothing to share yet but I'm very pleased. I've also ordered the focus front and it should be here sometime this week and look forward to the wider FOV than my original composer.

There is probably some small degradation because the Nikon to FD adapters muet have some glass to allow infinity focusing. In most cases it will make little difference (i have done some comparison shots) but i've also bouught a manual Nikon 35/2.

Diane

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 10:27PM by picnic.
Re: Major new product launch announced first here on the forum posted by Bender September 27, 2010 08:40PM reply | quote
posted by Bender

So what happens when you put a Nikon mount Lensbaby on top of the tilt base? Do you get a double tilt effect? :D

Peter
1 2 3

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today