Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

12 hours ago by PBlais

Re: #BlurOnPurpose Series

view post

Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant posted by JDenny November 05, 2005 04:03AM reply | quote
posted by JDenny

Some of our Christmas Cacti are a "little off". They are supposed to bloom later in December, but a couple of our plants usually have a bloom maximum in mid-November, hence they have thus been designated "Thanksgiving Cacti". This one plant has been the first to start some blooms, which I am sharing with you.

Cheers,
JDenny

D70 ISO 200 LBO Polarizer f/4.0

Please see different variation of overall image below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2005 03:42AM by JDenny.
Re: Cactus Bloom posted by lazar November 05, 2005 05:31AM reply | quote
posted by lazar

One word: Glorified!
Lazar
Re: Cactus Bloom posted by Ta November 05, 2005 05:47AM reply | quote
posted by Ta

Two words 'very nice'

Thank you, Dennis, for sharing.

Ta
Re: Cactus Bloom posted by ranfoto November 05, 2005 07:27AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Three words,"Wild Bloomin Art".
Re: Cactus Bloom posted by JDenny November 05, 2005 08:53AM reply | quote
posted by JDenny

Four words, "Thank you very much!"

Cheers,
JDenny aka Denis
Re: Cactus Bloom posted by birdmanofdb November 05, 2005 02:54PM reply | quote
posted by birdmanofdb

i guess its five words for me....georgeous... (or is it gorgeous?) :)
Re: Cactus Bloom posted by JDenny November 06, 2005 03:31AM reply | quote
posted by JDenny

Here is a variation of the first image starting with an entirely different shot, slightly different perspective than the first, of the same cactus bloom. In order to make it seem somewhat more different than the original image, this particular shot has been crop'ed square on the central bloom, the photo darkened and the color of the flower changed from the original hot fuschia/pink to a shade of red that is very much like the christmas cacti we have that produce red flowers (mods all done using PS 7.0).

Cheers,
JDenny

D70 LBO ISO 200 Polarizer f/4.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2006 10:45AM by JDenny.
Re: Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant posted by ranfoto November 06, 2005 05:11AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

I like the Variant, it's artful.....but the original I prefer of the two.

Sometimes perfection can be overworked, even when you put your best effort into it, know what I mean Denis ! Haven't we all done that ? I guess that's why photoshop has layers and we are told to save, save ,save.....but it's what we learn that is the lesson.

So many times the image right out of the camera, with little post production is the sweetest Baby you're going to get, it's hard to admit at times, but true if we really get get our craft down and our eyes keen...:) just my insight on the matter.
Re: Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant posted by JDenny November 06, 2005 10:04AM reply | quote
posted by JDenny

I hear you, Randy. Personally, I like the first one better myself. The second was an attempt to push myself a little in photoshop (hunt and peck time, again). I think the main thing I was most happy about with this try was stumbling over how to replace color in PS .... gotta get a good book on the program .... any suggestions out there?

Cheers,
JDenny
Re: Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant posted by Rob with camera November 06, 2005 10:21AM reply | quote
posted by Rob with camera

Denis

I really like the soft dreaminess of this image.

My vote goes to original as well.

Rob
Re: Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant posted by ranfoto November 06, 2005 10:30AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Denis....instead of reading books, I find viewing tapes or CD's like "Total Photoshop" with Deke McClelland a faster and easier method of learning and keeping up with this stuff.

Let's face it we're thrilled to see our images come alive when working in PS, but reading about it makes me tired, so since I can lean back and just watch and rewind/search to get the good ideas, that's my method.

If you watch ebay, these learning tools come up alot at affordable prices.

Maybe this would be a good post for everyone to list their favorite way to learn the digital darkroom.
Re: Cactus Bloom + New Image Variant posted by eHolga November 07, 2005 02:26AM reply | quote
posted by eHolga

I like the first, the 2nd is a bit dark on my machine.

Randy has a point, that straight out of the camera and being satisfied and getting a keeper is what it is all about. Having said that, shooting an image on negative film and printing it straight and getting a keeper and being satisified without some tweak of the filters for contrast,color,density almost didn't/doesn't exist, look at Ansel Adams.

So what difference is it taking the digineg into PS and tweaking it? I know Randy, you meant using the wiz-banginess of PS and really having at it!:)

My favorite way is to roll my sleeves up, set aside a many hours(LoL) and just get dirty in the program and keep trying all the different things PS has to offer. Also joing the [www.photoshopuser.com] includes their mag and having hours of tutorials at my fingertips online anytime is wonderful and can't be beat for the price of $100 USD per year.

Dennis

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today