Lensbaby Studio Forums

Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 03, 2010 04:08AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

By coincidence I came across a description of the cyanotype process. It is a very simple process for making paper prints from a negative (you are not limited to paper. Fabric can also do it).

I have been reading about other processes before, but the cyanotype was new to me, apart from the preset development method in "Lightroom", which I always though looked odd.

I studied the cyanotype process at alternativephotography.com, bought the dry chemicals on ebay, and voila, I was doing cyanotypes.

Contrast control is really difficult, but I am getting better control of it now, but there is a long way to go still.

For those of you who have never heard of it (as was the case for me one month ago), I will give you some info:

*It is not a digital plugin/filter etc.
*It is a method of making paper prints based on a negative.
*The light source is UV light. Usually the sun is used. I used a studio flash (which obviously emitts enough UV). Some use sun-tan lamps
*Due to the power required for processing, only contact copies can be used. I made contact copies by printing transparencies on an ink-jet printer (so there is a digital stage in the process, as I have done it)
*Two chemical compounds are mixed right before coating of the paper (Potassium ferricyanide and Ferric ammonium citrate)
*When working with the stuff you can use normal (not too bright) tungsten light. So no special requirements for darkroom lighting, light sealed doors etc.
*Development is made in water. Just as simple as that.

Some of the images have been presented here in the digital form, now transformed to 19th century photography technology.

The first four images are toned in tea.

Enjoy.

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2010 04:14AM by rannestad.
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by RichB June 03, 2010 04:46AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Bjorn,

Very cool work, taking us back in time.

Rich
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by juznobsrvr June 03, 2010 04:54AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

bjorn, true labor of love... i am inspired... thanks for sharing -- this set is very good

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by kmac June 03, 2010 12:37PM reply | quote
posted by kmac

thanks for sharing information on this process - interesting and I really like the resulting images - especially 1 & 3 in this series.
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 03, 2010 09:06PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you. Now it is weekend. Hopefully I will be able of making a couple of cyanotypes more...

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by oliver tudoras June 03, 2010 10:16PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

great to see your work

have a great weekend and much time :-)

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by codrin June 04, 2010 01:22AM reply | quote
posted by codrin

They look very lovely, cool process, Bjorn!

Codrin
[1x.com]
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by TG-J (Admin) June 04, 2010 08:25PM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Potassium ferricyanide sounds a LITTLE SPOOKY to me .Great work Bjorn. Wait till you get to the 1940's and start Dye transfers:) tony
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 05, 2010 06:13AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

I don't know if I will run through all the photographic processes from the Daguerreotype until ink-jet printing, but let's wait and see if I reach the Dye Transfers:) Potassium ferricyanide sounds very spooky, but is actually not very poisonous. It's ok, as long as you don't mix it with strong acids...

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by Lorna Taylor June 05, 2010 12:54PM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Fantastic images, your work is truly inspiring!

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by Bender June 06, 2010 06:21AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Man, these are just fantastic. I love the direction you've been going in lately. Good stuff.

Peter
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 06, 2010 03:24PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you Lorna and Peter. Going backwards in time is great.

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by Halima67 June 07, 2010 03:31AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

Great stuff! You are a proof that analog ways are still modern! Love #2 & #4.

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by jbrunjes June 07, 2010 10:56PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

These are great! I can't wait to see more. I am also drawn to these types of processes but I don't have the extra $ to experiment yet.

Joby
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 08, 2010 02:37AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you. Joby, you don't need much $$ to experiment with cyanotypes. It is a very cheap process.

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by Matt Pringle June 08, 2010 02:59AM reply | quote
posted by Matt Pringle

I really admire the effort and devotion you put into your work. These look superb, no.2 & 3 are particularity beautiful.

Matt.

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by pathography June 08, 2010 07:00AM reply | quote
posted by pathography

I think I have found my next project. And funny that it is something that I have been thinking about for a while. What do you reckon the life time of the image would be?
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 08, 2010 04:29PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you. Appreciate that.

Life time of the images should be "very long". Cyanotypes made in the mid 1800's are still in good shape today. Keep the cyanotype away from basic environment and strong light (sun). It is said that a fading cyanotype can be recovered by storing in the dark for some time. A great feature:)

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by Steve Bee June 09, 2010 12:48AM reply | quote
posted by Steve Bee

Very very interesting and excellent results!
Love them all!
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by Mark Wade June 09, 2010 10:53AM reply | quote
posted by Mark Wade

Wow! BEautiful works Bjorn
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 09, 2010 03:19PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you Steve and Mark

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by digipix76 June 15, 2010 02:53AM reply | quote
posted by digipix76

Bjorn, these are simply FANTASTIC.
Ian
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad June 15, 2010 06:10AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you Ian. I don't know how to handle those CAPITAL LETTERS though :)

I have ordered a new batch of chemicals. Hopefully they will arrive soon. Hope to do some more work in the weekend.

Have a nice day.

Bjorn

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by MelBrackstone July 12, 2010 08:08AM reply | quote
posted by MelBrackstone

Fabulous work, Bjorn! They look similar to the Gum Bichromate work I did a few years ago....also printed on transparencies, and also developed in the sun...

I see it's mentioned on the site you referenced...I'm keen to do some more of that sort of work, especially after seeing what you've done here!

Mel :) In sunny Brisbane, Australia
[melbrackstone.com]
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad July 12, 2010 03:12PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you Mel. Lately I have tested the cyanotype rex formula, but I am soon giving up. I have seen beautiful work with it, but I can't get it to work, so I will probably go back to the standard cyanotype, or maybe the modern cyanotype.

Gum Bichromate. Just the sound of it is awesome. I have read about it and seen some videos about it. It seems like a great technique. I may try one day.

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by ranfoto July 13, 2010 04:27AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

I don't need to go back in time to get this effect, I just wait until my ol' inkjet printer runs out of ink :O !

But I do like your Blue Bending imaging, but I like the timeless captures better the images that seem just blue in hue ! :)

By the way Bjorn do the cyan-Oh-types look cyan in the original or as posted ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 04:28AM by ranfoto.
Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by rannestad July 13, 2010 04:01PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thanks Randy

The Cyanotypes are blue in the original, hence the name. The Cyanotype is one of the very first photographic printing techniques, but because of the color didn't become too popular as final print. But as proof it was used very much, because of it's simplicity.

Good luck with your ink jet

Re: Back to the 1800's. Lensbaby in Cyanotypes posted by mathogre July 14, 2010 10:16AM reply | quote
posted by mathogre

Very cool work, Bjorn! I love how the images look, and I appreciate what it took to make them. :D

Graham

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today