Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by strelar

The Scream

view post

Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jbrunjes May 09, 2010 11:37PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Just got my first roll of film back. Here are a few shots with a Pentax 645N + Lensbaby 3G for Medium format. Fuji Superia 100 film. I am still learning how to use this camera so the results are not ideal yet.
Thanks for looking.
Joby
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by RichB May 10, 2010 05:20AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Joby,

These look really nice to me -- good work with your new camera Joby.

Rich
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jffoto May 10, 2010 05:57AM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
Hej Joby
Nice images - looking forward to se more.
Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by MarkStanley May 10, 2010 06:35AM reply | quote
posted by MarkStanley

Nice pics Joby, the boats are my Fav of the set but like them all.
Mark
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by BARONDLA May 10, 2010 10:54AM reply | quote
posted by BARONDLA

Nice images. Got a laugh out of BOA sign. The boats are great too. You are doing well with the the pentax.

Did you buy the medium format LB new or used? Any idea the focal length of the lens? Your shots are making me eye my 6x7 Pentax. Would love to have a LB for that. Any picture of camera with LB on it?
thanks
barondla (secretly wishing I hadn't seen this thread - could cost money).
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by Keithnc May 10, 2010 10:33PM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

I like your shots, especially the last one since I used to work for them before getting laid off. Grrrr.......

Good job, I need to visit Wilmington again soon.
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jbrunjes May 10, 2010 10:38PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Thanks guys... I will post a photo of the rig soon.
It looks like a 60s sci-fi ray gun!
My next roll should have some better photos on it.

Barondla - I sent you a PM regarding my MF LB.

Joby
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by juznobsrvr May 12, 2010 07:09AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

always wanted a medium format LB... did you convert your 3G so you can mount it to your p? oh, yeah, these are awesome, joby

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by ranfoto May 13, 2010 08:37AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Joby......glad to see you followed through with the idea to own a big Bender ......BoA snap is too kewl ...hee !

As to the questions of where to get one, well good luck.....there's still a few 67 models available from places like Adorama in New York or ask Kirsten for help on locating yours .

I'm thinking that with the advent of swap optics, it would be easy for Craig to make a kit available now for DIYers with the longer focal length optics that's needed to work with medium format film cameras or those huge digi sensors available on the new big sensor backs .

I haven't tried it but but but maybe just adding a tele converter in front of your swap optic and adding an adapter so your favorite medium format camera could focus the existing swapper optics would work .......just wondering of course, you never know, but for sure if you changed the base optic focal length it would focus and cover the larger image circle ......

I also may have to delete this later part of the post when I find out it was a very lame idea optically :)))
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by ranfoto May 13, 2010 09:35AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Update: on my last post,(normal 35mm type) Lensbaby optics won't focus to infinity on medium format image circles, the best I could get was macro distance images shot close up.

So you do need a (100mm range) medium format lens optic and the tele converter idea used with the (35mm camera) Lensbaby swap optics was worse then lame-oh.....utter nonsense and optically insane :)).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2010 09:23AM by ranfoto.
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jbrunjes May 13, 2010 12:56PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Ran,
Kirsten found one for me. The. most expensive part of the rig was the Pentax 67 to 645 adapter. Apparently they are somewhat rare and with the upcoming release of the 645d they are in high demand. So far I am content to shoot double glass. I will continue to use my 35mm for the other optics. My next roll should have some better shots. I will post any that are worthy.
Joby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2010 12:58PM by jbrunjes.
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by rannestad May 16, 2010 06:48PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Congratulations!!! Looks great.
What apertures did you use? I really like the blur in these. A bit mor subtle than what I am used too, which is great. I sometimes think the curvature of the focus field in a 35mm LB is too much.

I want to do the same also. Did you scan on the Epson 700?

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jbrunjes May 17, 2010 06:29AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

The medium format 3G is 100mm and starts wide open at f/4. Because it was made for the Pentax 67 system I think there is a crop factor that makes it seem a bit longer.
Trying to remember the apertures. Since it was my test roll I went more narrow than I usually do. My best guess:
#1 - f/11
#2 - f/5.6 or 8
#3 - f/11
#4 - f/8

Yes, I scanned them with my V700. (which must be dirty because I spent too much time in PS cleaning them up.)
I bought my 645N and 3 lenses(not LB) all for less than $1000. Stay away from the earlier version 645... it's viewfinder is way too dark and the controls are better in the 645N. The 645N II is also great but costs much more for just a few improvements over the 645N.
Image quality is awesome and rivals any digital I have seen. (and I haven't tried slide film yet!) The negative is 2.6 times the size of a 35mm negative.

My next roll has some cool shots that I hope turn out. I will post later this week.

Joby
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by rannestad May 17, 2010 03:26PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Looking forward to that. For now I think I will stick to pinhole medium format, and possibly upgrade to Pentax or Pentacon Six later:)

My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by ranfoto May 17, 2010 04:33PM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

[www.lensbaby.com],

This link will take you to my post from June 2005 and pictures of the very first "Original Pentax 67 medium format Lensbaby .

The little Babies have come a long way from the early days of Bending, Craig made this prototype back in the day when the Lensbaby was a simple way to create magic images :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2010 04:35PM by ranfoto.
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jbrunjes May 18, 2010 03:22AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

That's awesome Ran. I considered the 67 but went for the 645 because of the lack of metering in the 67. The 645N's metering is fantastic.
Joby
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by ranfoto May 18, 2010 10:12AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Lucky for me I happened to buy a metering prism for the Pentax big boy.

When Pentax first made the 67 model available in Japan, the only way to get one was to buy them from an exporter I found in the back of a photo magazine . This became my main camera for covering auto racing, the big negative was king .

I still have two bodies and own many of the lenses.....when I started doing more people pictures I traded most of the tele optics for Hasselblad equipment .....now I own adapters for both of these cameras to use the optics on my digi Nikons, but since becoming addicted to Bendy optics hardly anything else gets used :)) .
Re: Medium Format Lensbaby 3G - First shots posted by jbrunjes May 19, 2010 11:16AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

I always thought of the 67 as a SLR on steroids. Many modern DSLRs could learn a lot from the 645N's layout. The dedicated knobs for aperture, shutter speed, exposure comp., etc. make shooting such a breeze. Nothing is hidden behind a menu!
Joby

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today