Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

15 hours ago by ebby62

Tiny Red Beetle

view post

I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project

Newer Topic | Older Topic

I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad April 22, 2010 05:28AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

In several years the pinhole has fascinated me. I made my own pinholes to put on the dslr before the lensbaby pinhole came out. It's a great physical phenomenon.

I have been considering completely making my own camera for years, and finally made the first version, based on a juice box.

The process is documented with the double glass and multi aperture disc. Final image is the first image made with that camera. I thought I did an overexposure during exposure, but it is underexposed, so I must have made an error in my calculations:)

I can now truly say that I have gone medium format, and a lot cheaper than the digital hasselblad:)

On Sunday 25th of April is the world pinhole day. I may consider joining in with this camera. See [www.pinholeday.org]

Have a nice day.

Bjorn

-----------------------------------------
My website: [www.fotoaalborg.dk]
Blog (English): [www.retrofoto.dk]
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by SKF April 22, 2010 06:03AM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Bjorn,
You have too much spare time on your hands - lucky you.
Nice image first up. very spooky.
Cheers

steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 06:04AM by SKF.
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad April 22, 2010 07:27AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

He he. I don't have much spare time. I have a full time job, a family and a house to take care of. I can only use the night for that type of things. I stayed up until 2.30 in the night to make the camera, and got up at 6 o'clock to go to work. Now the time is 12.30 and I should have been in bed long time ago. I hope I will be able to sleep when I get old:)

Have a good night (CET time)

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by ranfoto April 22, 2010 08:15AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Um' well let see digi Hasselblad $50,000 USD .

Juice box, tape, screws, misc. parts = $10.00 USD tops ?

Experience = Priceless

Looks like a toss-up to me Bjorn.....Hee ! :))

Say, maybe you should go out before the middle of the night to expose your Medium format juicer......the light might be better ? :O
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by TG-J (Admin) April 22, 2010 10:02AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Hey Look ! A Bjornablad ! tony.
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad April 22, 2010 03:27PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

What would you pay for a Bjornablad? I can set up preorder

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by ranfoto April 23, 2010 04:40AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

Bjornablad ? The main problem I see to owning this Pinhole Bender is that you would have to send it back to the factory for body replacement panels after removing the film pack after every outing......yikes !

Of course that's good news for Bjorn, as he could quit his day job and just make a great living just producing these Bjornablads for us Pinheads......:))

I think I'll just wait for the digi version of the Bjornablad to come out and hope maybe there will be a new optics package besides just the pinhole ......:))

BjornaBending.....has a nice ring to it.....hee !
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by jbrunjes April 23, 2010 04:56AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

will a phase one P65+ digital back fit? I will wait for that version.
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by Halima67 April 23, 2010 09:22AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

Good job! Very creative. Welcome for the pinhole day!

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad April 25, 2010 09:51PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

So the world pinhole day was yesterday. I am in Norway at the moment. Yesterday I was crossing the mountains in southern Norway. Had the camera loaded with an Ilford FP4 125 ASA. Made several images, and I am excited to find out how they are. Unfortunately it will be more than a week before I can develop:(

BTW. I can assure you all that any digital back will be compatible with the Bjornoblad. We are working towards a multi compatible back converter. In version 1 only 120 film is compatible though.

Have a nice day

Bjorn

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad May 04, 2010 07:52AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Film is developed, and image uploaded to the "World Pinhole Photography Day" site. Here is my contribution. You can also see it on the world pinhole site.

Do any of you have any experience in scanning negatives from 120 film? I have a negative scanner for 35mm films, but the 120 film challenges me. The image shown is an image made by photographing the negative with a dslr.

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by jbrunjes May 04, 2010 09:08AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Cool shot. I haven't had much success with pinhole photography. Your efforts make me want to try again. I have also entered the medium format realm with a Pentax 645n. I now have a medium format lensbaby 3G and can't wait to get started. I will post the results if they are worthy.
Joby
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by Halima67 May 04, 2010 10:39AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

Cool shot! I scan my 120 negs with my scanner.I've got the Canon Canoscan 8400. I've also scan negs directly on the scanner bed with +/- success.

[www.flickr.com]
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by juznobsrvr May 04, 2010 11:06AM reply | quote
posted by juznobsrvr

that's a cool shot... lately i became a big fan of ph... i think pinhole works better with medium format film... probably there is slow chemistry going on with a relatively med-sized film so it's more forgiving imho... i have the same scanner as helene and had decent results... it's a bit tricky to use but once i learned to play around with it -- it's not that bad -- some of my tepid medium format pics are in my flicker home in case anyone wants to check like these ones:

[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

... cheers

rob castro

website = [www.justanobserver.com]

blog = [www.juzno.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2010 11:11AM by juznobsrvr.
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by jbrunjes May 04, 2010 10:40PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

I use a Epson v700 and love it for 120 scans. It comes with a dedicated tray for 35mm, 120, 4x5, etc.
Joby
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad May 05, 2010 04:28AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you for valuable info. The price difference between a Canoscan and the Epson is quite large. Wonder how much you gain by the added cost. The Canoscan may be within reach...

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by jbrunjes May 05, 2010 10:45AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

I think the Epson 550 also has the dedicated trays for 120. I bought the 700 because I also plan on scanning 4x5 at some point. I can post some 120 scans if you are interested.
Joby
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by Halima67 May 06, 2010 08:26AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

I got my Canoscan on ebay! Lucky, I know.

[www.flickr.com]
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by TG-J (Admin) May 07, 2010 01:24AM reply | quote
posted by TG-J

Bjorn I have never done any pin hole , but running around the scene with a hand flash could be an interesting proposition(sharp light?) Flextights are the way to go for 120 scans or a Drumscan.tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 01:27AM by TG-J.
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad May 07, 2010 04:36AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Lots of great info here. Thank you

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad June 05, 2010 06:13AM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

I made the world pinholeday image in a cyanotype as well. For info on the cyanotype process, you can see my other post on the topic.

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by Bender June 05, 2010 08:41AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

What fun! Cool images Bjorn. :)

Peter
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by Lorna Taylor June 05, 2010 12:52PM reply | quote
posted by Lorna Taylor

Fantastic work, there really should be more hours in a day , they really are just too short! Definitely more time to make images such as these!

My Flickr Page

www.taylorimages.ca
Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad June 06, 2010 03:30PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Thank you Peter and Lorna. Looking forward to the next batch I will create

Re: I have gone medium format - The homemade pinhole project posted by rannestad June 20, 2010 06:41PM reply | quote
posted by rannestad

Will anyone please remove wifeng from the system? The activity and content clearly suggests spam!

Goodbye mr. weifeng!!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today