Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

7 hours ago by ughridk

Re: #BlurOnPurpose Series

view post

Fisheye with non-full frame sensor: Tunnel?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Fisheye with non-full frame sensor: Tunnel? posted by mercator February 28, 2010 05:47PM reply | quote
posted by mercator
Hello,

For weeks I have been looking at the new fisheye lense. Now that it is for sale in Switzerland, I am about to buy one. There is just one question I have: How do pictures look like with a non-full frame sensor camera, such as a Canon 40D. Do I get a "tunnel view", i.e., with lots of black in the edges or does the image fill the whole sensor? Perhaps someone can post an image taken with a Canon 40D?

Thanks a lot,
Mercator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 05:47PM by mercator.
Re: Fisheye with non-full frame sensor: Tunnel? posted by jffoto February 28, 2010 09:31PM reply | quote
posted by jffoto
Hello Mercator
This photo is taken with a Fisheye Optic [F/4) and a Canon 40D - no chrop. As you can see, the edges gets black,I think you have to live with it, or do some chropping.
Best regards
Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]

Jørgen
[www.jffoto.dk]
Re: Fisheye with non-full frame sensor: Tunnel? posted by mvuori March 01, 2010 02:16AM reply | quote
posted by mvuori
...And after you crop off the corners, there is not much fisheye effect left. The result is just like from a bad regular wideangle.

If you want a fisheye effect, you should buy a lens that is designed for you sensor size (like Sigma 4.5 (for circular images) or 10 mm, or a Tokina 10-17 mm fisheye zoom).

(Note: A Nikon APS-C sensor is a little bit larger and thus a little bit better)
Re: Fisheye with non-full frame sensor: Tunnel? posted by acidsaturation March 05, 2010 12:25AM reply | quote
posted by acidsaturation
mvuori

If you want a fisheye effect, you should buy a lens that is designed for you sensor size (like Sigma 4.5 (for circular images) or 10 mm, or a Tokina 10-17 mm fisheye zoom).

That kind of defeats the object of it being a lensbaby, which I assume is the point..?

Mercator, do you want a whole fish eye effect (i.e. a circle), or are you trying to avoid it..? The cropped sensor will have the effect of a longer focal length, so less of a fish eye effect, less likely to have a full circle isolated with black all around..

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today