Lensbaby Studio Forums

Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ...

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by gnugear December 01, 2009 02:21AM reply | quote
posted by gnugear
I really like the look of Holga B/W prints and want to emulate that as close as possible with my Composer/Canon xsi combo. I have all the optics and really like the results I get with the soft focus optic and the f5.6 ring but it looks like the Holgas have a wider viewing angle. I think the Holga has something like a 35mm equivolent lens? Would adding the .6 wide angle best emulate that, or would the .42 superwide angle be better? Thanks!

Oh ... here are a couple B/W images I've been messing with. The last two are with an IR filter.
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by Halima67 December 01, 2009 02:29AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

To me the best way to emulate a B&W Holga pix is...to use a Holga with a B&W film!
Very nice pix! I love #4 & #6 best!

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 02:30AM by Halima67.
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by gnugear December 01, 2009 02:40AM reply | quote
posted by gnugear
I love the LB so much that I don't want to mess with film! The square crop and fake photoshop vignetting helps a lot but I'm still curious about the focal length.
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by mvuori December 01, 2009 03:27AM reply | quote
posted by mvuori
I think the Holga's 60 mm lens corresponds a 38 mm lens in a 35 mm camera - but wider in a camera modified to shoot full 6x6 images. The LB in your Canon with the 0.42 would have a 34 mm equivalent lens, but with the 0.60 wideangle it would have a much longer 48 mm equivalent lens. So I think the 0.42 would emulate the Holga better, and offer more creative possibilities.
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by gnugear December 01, 2009 03:50AM reply | quote
posted by gnugear
Thanks!
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by Ol' Don December 01, 2009 04:03AM reply | quote
posted by Ol' Don

Wow.

I really like pictures 5 and 6. Beautiful.

Ol' Don

Life is expensive, but includes a free trip
around the sun!
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by ranfoto December 01, 2009 05:27AM reply | quote
posted by ranfoto

If you want a Bendy Holga then you need the real thing, or maybe someone could produce a Holga swapper optic or you could investigate hacking your own optics ......

There's so much going on within the Bending community nowdays......you just have to check it out .
Re: Best way to emulate a Holga? Pics attached ... posted by Halima67 December 01, 2009 09:20AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

I use my Baby with my film camera!..But I get what u say. In this case, Randy (ranfoto, just above) is ur best man 2 fix u up with a Holga-look with ur Baby! Have fun!

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today