Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 hours ago by Sophia_Pudding

Re: IT Geek

view post

Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images)

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Crabcakes October 24, 2009 03:41PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

...to a Lavender-like plant and its late-summer vagrants.

Thanks for looking and Thanks to the LB Team for this wonderful new way of seeing. Been having lots of fun with this new optic when time permits...

Composer, SF Optic, wide-open.

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 01:30PM by Crabcakes.
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In... posted by oliver tudoras October 24, 2009 06:20PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

very effective

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In... posted by RichB October 24, 2009 09:41PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Johnny,

(First time I realized your first name.) Very nice. I hadn't even thought of trying this lens wide open. You have motivated me.

Rich
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In... posted by jad October 25, 2009 12:22AM reply | quote
posted by jad

Great shots, love #3

enjoye!

joye

[www.artistwithcamera.com]
[artistwithcamera.blogspot.com]
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In... posted by Bender October 25, 2009 12:35AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Oh yeah, #3 and 4 for me. Good stuff man. :)

Peter
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In... posted by CMH October 25, 2009 01:05AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

ok, that's it. i've waited three days. off to order the soft focus.
these are just gorgeous.
cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In... posted by subpardaemon October 25, 2009 01:14AM reply | quote
posted by subpardaemon

question... could you perhaps post some images taken with the soft focus optic *without* any of the three extra softening discs and at about f8? i'd be interested how soft the lens itself is.
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Crabcakes October 25, 2009 01:39PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thank you all for your kind words. It's been great fun playing with the new SF optic.

Oh, yeah cindi and rich--this optic is right up your alley! The light-flare can get a little crazy wide open though.

subpar--have attached some images (just snaps, really) using the f8 disc in the SF optic. Also did some roughly 100% crops. Hope this helps. No guarantee on the focus though...

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 01:40PM by Crabcakes.
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by subpardaemon October 25, 2009 02:26PM reply | quote
posted by subpardaemon

hey crabcakes, thank you! :) it seems to me that the soft focus optic can work quite sharp... might just be perfect for portraiture. the only thing that worries me is that at f8, depth of field is still very shallow. well, i'll have to see.

and btw, beautiful set of images, really dreamlike, i mean the soft-soft-soft focus images. :) inspiring! and once more, thanks for the swift reply and the set of test images.
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Crabcakes October 25, 2009 03:50PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thanks Subpar--(I've seen your work, sorry for the lack of comments--been dreadfully busy--and it is anything BUT SubPar!). As to the dof of the SF optic, I haven't had the opportunity to try any smaller aps but with the composer especially that shouldn't be a problem--time and experimentation should tell...

BTW--these were all done with NO ap disc in place. So no special aperture effect involved.

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by kmac October 25, 2009 07:38PM reply | quote
posted by kmac

beautiful work - this seems like a very interesting lens. Have been wondering how it differs from LB or composer open...
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Mark Wade October 28, 2009 04:20AM reply | quote
posted by Mark Wade

Wonderful images!
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Crabcakes October 29, 2009 02:36AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thanks Kim and Mark--much appreciated.

Kim--as to differences, Mostly it's the lack of a Sweet-Spot. The SF is soft from edge to edge when wide open. and even pretty soft to f4. And as you go smaller with the aps, it gets sharper, but edge to edge.

Take care,

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by AJ October 30, 2009 07:43PM reply | quote
posted by AJ

These are all great Johhny C but my fave is #5 with the bee. Art!!
Wonderful use of the new lens!

Keep em comin'.
Thanks for sharing.

Peace and Happiness
AJ

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2009 07:44PM by AJ.
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by kskinner October 30, 2009 11:55PM reply | quote
posted by kskinner

Great to see some experimention going on. The wide open images are really lush, particularly 2 and 7. Thanks for showing your experiences with combining apertures. Very informative.

Keith Skinner
Berkeley, CA
[renegadeimage.wordpress.com]
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Ol' Don October 31, 2009 12:09AM reply | quote
posted by Ol' Don

Thanks for sharing these shots Johnny!!!

Numbers 1 and 2 are just my cup of tea. The ones with the bee are just amazing.

Thanks too for showing the f8 shots. Very informative.

The older I get, the less I care about "tack sharp". I care more about "focused soft", if that could be a term. I guess we need a new catch phrase the opposite of "tack sharp"!! ;-)

Ol' Don

Life is expensive, but includes a free trip
around the sun!
Re: Soft Focus Zooming In...(Updated 10-25with f8 Images) posted by Crabcakes November 01, 2009 01:06AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thanks AJ, Keith and Ol' Don--your feedback is much appreciated.

AJ--Nice to see you back (Now we know why you've been away...)

Keith--The SF wide-open can be a bit of a challenge depending on the light (bright, high-contrast, etc.). Cool blog--I just sent a buddy of mine back to SF infected with the LBBug! Another Bay-Area Bender...if he bites and buys one.

Ol' Don--How about "Thumb Soft"? "Butter Soft"? "BabyBottom Soft"?

Thanks again!

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today