Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

59 minutes ago by Victoria Bell

Re: Been gone for a long time

view post

Composer — it's gigantic!

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Composer — it's gigantic! posted by mattdm October 21, 2009 12:24AM reply | quote
posted by mattdm
So, because of excitement about the optic swap system, I sold my Lensbaby 2.0. I've always really enjoyed it, even if I only get a good result out of about one in a thousand shots. I'm particularly intrigued by the zone plate (some first images to come), and I decided that the Composer would be the easiest to work with with that optic, so I got that.

Showed up yesterday, and wow, it's large. I mean, I know as lenses go, it's really on the smallish side, but I use the Pentax dSLR limited series lenses, so I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that this would be by far the largest lens in my regular camera bag.

That's unfortunate, because I'm used to having the Lensbaby tucked away in the corner of my camera bag at all times. With the Composer, I really don't have room for that, so it'd have to be a more deliberate decision to take it along — which means I'd miss a lot of opportunities to use it.

So I'm considering returning the Composer and buying the Muse. The relative size of the Composer wasn't apparent from the pictures on the site here, so I'm also unsure about the Muse. Does the optic swap system make it inherently larger than the 2.0, or is it basically the same size? Thanks!

The other question I have is about the Composer and the zone plate optic. I see on the zoneplate page that 1) tilting doesn't really do anything and that 2) the Muse should just be left in its natural position. Can anyone with the Muse and Zone Plate optic comment on how well this works?
Re: Composer — it's gigantic! posted by Bender October 21, 2009 02:20AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

LOL, well you should try the Canon 70-200 series if you think the Composer is big! Seriously, it's very small and well worth it to figure out a different carry method. The Muse is about the same size but I think the Composer is easier to use and produces more keepers. JMO.

Peter
Re: Composer — it's gigantic! posted by mattdm October 21, 2009 02:24AM reply | quote
posted by mattdm
Yeah, I have a friend with Canon, including the 70-200 f/2.8 L. It's gorgeous lens — but the size is part of why I went with Pentax instead.

Can anyone comment specifically on any difference in size between the Muse and the old 2.0? In terms of space in my camera bag, the difference between the 2.0 and Composer is very significant.
Re: Composer — it's gigantic! posted by pathography October 21, 2009 07:24AM reply | quote
posted by pathography

I have both a muse and a composer, and one is always on my camera. The other lenses are tucked away for safe keeping/in case of emergency. As for the zone plate, I have not used too often, but when I have i find it easier to use the composer. And I like the single glass on the composer and the double on the muse. That's just me. I don't want this to sound rude, but did you ever think about buying a bigger bag? I have adding a size by size shot for you to see
Re: Composer — it's gigantic! posted by CMH October 21, 2009 07:49AM reply | quote
posted by CMH

Hi Matt,
i've got some comps for you, too. i hadn't thought about it, but it does appear that the composer and the muse are close in size. The 2.0 is a bit smaller, but not much.

the LBO and 2.0 are still two of my favorite lenses because of the unique impressionism they offer. i've only had my muse for a few days, but am in love with it as, to me anyway, it represents the best of the new and old. i've not shot with the zone plate with it yet.

Don't know if any of that helps you, but being extremely visual myself, i thought the three together might give you an idea of sizes.

good luck!

cindi

[www.etsy.com]
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Composer — it's gigantic! posted by mattdm October 21, 2009 07:56AM reply | quote
posted by mattdm
It's not too terribly rude. :)

I have a Crumpler Sinking Barge, and it's about as large of a bag as I'd like to carry. In fact, ideally I'd like a smaller one, but that's hard to find while still meeting my other needs. This is pretty much my go-everywhere bag, so it has to also carry my laptop and perhaps my lunch.

There's definitely room for the Composer in the top compartment, but I usually use that space for other things I might need throughout the day. Usually my flash gets put in there, but I often take it out to save space.

It does appear that the Muse is bigger than the 2.0 was, in order to accommodate the optic-swap system. That's unfortunate but I suppose a reasonable tradeoff. In retrospect I wish I had just kept the 2.0 as well.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today