Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

5 minutes ago by jffoto

On the other side

view post

Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by jbrunjes September 13, 2009 04:03AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

This week's challenge is to submit a photo with a lensbaby with no aperture rings or "wide open" (f/2).
Any optic/attachment/subject matter is acceptable as long as no aperture disks are used. Good luck! - Joby

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera (with LB attached)
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the judge will decide if it works.
4. Posting - * Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!
8. Good luck to everyone.

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends- 9:00 pm EDT (Easternl Daylight Time)
Sunday, Sept 20th, 2009
* Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Joby

"There are no problems with auto-focus if there is no auto-focus."

www.josephbrunjes.com
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by DarkSlide September 13, 2009 09:39AM reply | quote
posted by DarkSlide

Wide Open! That is the way I like to shoot 99% of my Lensbaby images. The Lensbaby, already giving you that very selective area of focus, should not be restrained by an aperture that tries to bring things back into focus.
Not my most recent image, but one that I very much like, and one that displays this "wide open" look.
Canon 40D
Lensbaby 3G
No aperture disk
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by jbrunjes September 17, 2009 04:41AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Bump!
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by RichB September 17, 2009 06:20AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

"The Leader of the Band"

Dee Palmer has led the DeKalb, IL Municipal Band for 60 years. This bronze statue was commissioned and unveiled in his honor during one of the ten concerts at the DeKalb Bandshell that he directed this summer.

Taken with the Composer w/Double Optic, 0.42x Super Wide Lens, and Circular Polarizer. 1/1600 sec, ISO 100, wide open.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 06:22AM by RichB.
Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by shurla5 September 17, 2009 06:49AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

"Crab Apple Tree"

Canon 40D
Composer Double Optics - Wide Open
F1/1000th
ISO 100
5:30 pm est - front yard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 07:00AM by shurla5.
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by Bender September 19, 2009 09:19AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

Climbing the Steps on Mineral Mountain

Canon 5Dmkii
Composer, double glass, wide open, ISO 200, 1/400

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 09:22AM by Bender.
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by jbrunjes September 20, 2009 05:21AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

5 hrs left. Get those entries in!
Joby
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by jbrunjes September 20, 2009 08:41PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

This contest is now closed. Results to follow.
Joby
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by jbrunjes September 21, 2009 09:51PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Ok... Sorry for the delay. Yesterday turned out to be a whopper.
Since there are so few entries I wanted to give a brief comment on each.

Darkslide - Beautiful colors and love the depth and almost 3D effect.

Rich - As a conductor myself, I appreciate any statues dedicated to my mostly undeserving kind. Good composition and sweet spot.

Shurla - Like the subject matter. A blue sky behind would have made it even better. (but who can control the weather!)

Bender - I am definitely getting 5d mk 2 envy. I like the way the man in blue stands out against the woods. I also like the sense of motion and depth of the photo.

AND THE WINNER IS:

DarkSlide

Congrats and I look forward to the next speed challenge.

Joby
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by DarkSlide September 22, 2009 01:04AM reply | quote
posted by DarkSlide

Thanks for the win Joby. Yea, what happened to everyone? Sounded like a great topic. I figured the four of us would have be buried by entries.

I am always humbled by the great images here on LB.

Give me a day, and I'll start Speed Challenge #44.

-Todd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 01:36AM by DarkSlide.
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by David Morel September 22, 2009 01:13AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

Agreed with the choice, DarkSlide nailed it! Scared me away from entering! :-) Just teasing, I just forgot, but I know it would have been futile! :-)

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by Bender September 22, 2009 02:09AM reply | quote
posted by Bender

That was a wonderful shot, congratulations Darkslide!

Joby, bodies may come and go but L glass is forever. :P Seriously, the 5Dmkii is such a treat and I feel terribly spoiled with it. I really don't know if there is that much difference compared with other bodies with this kind of photography. It seemed like I had terrific results with my Rebel when I first started out with the LB. I only just switched this summer to FF...but I have seen a huge difference with non LB glass on the 5Dmkii compared to the Rebel.

Peter
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by RichB September 22, 2009 02:10AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Congrats to DarkSlide!

Rich
Re: Speed Challenge #43 - WIDE OPEN posted by shurla5 September 22, 2009 08:21AM reply | quote
posted by shurla5

Yes, congrats DarkSlide!
We'll be waiting for the next challenge.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today