Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

4 hours ago by strelar

The Scream

view post

SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP

Newer Topic | Older Topic

SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by RichB September 06, 2009 05:44AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

This weeks speed challenge is on "lookin' straight up". We want to see images in which the camera angle is nearly vertically looking upward. (OK, about 10 to 15 degrees off vertical is fine, but we're not measuring angles -- just be very close to "lookin' straight up".) Not particularly interested in clouds and trees, but more on ordinary things seldom seen from this perspective. Have fun!

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera (with LB attached)
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the judge will decide if it works.
4. Posting - * Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!
8. Good luck to everyone.

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends- 9:00pm CDT (Central Daylight Time)
Saturday, Sept 12th, 2009
* Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Rich

PS My sample photo was taken with the Composer with Double Optic and the 0.42X Super Wide Lens at f/5.6. ISO 200, 1/5 sec. (No problem with the long exposure, I was laying on the floor with the camera resting on my face -- guess I was the tripod! We may have to get down and dirty a bit on this challenge, but we can always brush off the dust. :-) )

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 07:28AM by RichB.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by RichB September 08, 2009 12:13AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Just bubblin' this to the top.

Rich
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by ScottM September 10, 2009 10:37AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Lets get this going
Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 10:40AM by ScottM.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by jbrunjes September 10, 2009 10:34PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Patience....
Joby
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by RichB September 11, 2009 10:03PM reply | quote
posted by RichB

just bubblin' this up ... the deadline is today (Saturday, at 9:30 PM CDT).
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by jbrunjes September 12, 2009 04:55AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

"Incandescent Flower"

Composer Double Glass f/2.8
ISO 100
1/20
Canon 1d Mk 3

"There are no problems with auto-focus if there is no auto-focus."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 04:58AM by jbrunjes.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by yesmellow September 12, 2009 06:26AM reply | quote
posted by yesmellow

"few minutes past ten"

Nikon D700
3G Doubleglass
Yashinon wildangle viewer
f:2.8
1/500
ISO 200
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by RichB September 12, 2009 11:40AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Thanks Joby and yesmellow for entering this challenge. This one may take the record for fewest entries. My job evaluating may take less time, but still requires making a decision that I would rather not make, as both entries were well-executed.

#2 -- Yesmellow. I like the extrememly soft blending of the clock against the wall. The darkness at the bottom of the image adds a most intriguing feel to your image. And finally one is left unsure if it is morning or night.

#1 -- Joby. This image has so much going for it starting with the great title analogy "Incandescent Flower". The image appears to be "lookin' up" about as straight up as one can look. The sweet spot is placed perfectly and is crispy clear. The center of your flower uses the "rule of thirds" both horizontally and vertically. The motion blur of the petals is just enough and yet not too much so that they would become unrecognizable. The long petal at the bottom leads one into the flower with its incandescent carpel and stamen. And we, the viewers, are the bees who have come to gather the pollen, lured by the beauty of the flower. Thanks Joby for a great image and for invoking both your imagination in creating it and the imagination of the viewer.

The next challenge (#43) is all yours!

Best regards,

Rich
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by yesmellow September 12, 2009 08:04PM reply | quote
posted by yesmellow

Congratulations Joby,
i'm with Rich..title,composition,timing are well done.
a great image !..i'm waiting for your next challenge.Cheers.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #42 -- LOOKIN' STRAIGHT UP posted by jbrunjes September 12, 2009 11:14PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Thanks Rich and yesmellow for your kind words.
I was hoping to get into a local catholic church with a dome for this challenge but this week got too busy.
I will post a new challenge later today.
Joby

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today