Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

6 hours ago by jffoto

Re: On the other side

view post

SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire

Newer Topic | Older Topic

SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by agroupuk June 21, 2009 07:30AM reply | quote
posted by agroupuk

This week's challenge: FIRE
Interpret it in any way you see fit.

Maybe the hint of fire, the color, the shape, its uses, its temper.

Lets see if we can heat this competition up a bit :)
Good luck all!

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera (with LB attached)
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the judge will decide if it works.
4. Posting - * Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!
8. Good luck to everyone.

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends- 3.30pm PDT/11.30pm GMT (Pacific Time) Sunday June 28th 2009
* Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by jbrunjes June 24, 2009 12:37PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

"Phoenix Rising"

Canon 1d Mk3
LB Composer (double glass)
f/4
ISO 100
1/1000
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by Halima67 June 26, 2009 04:38AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

"Come on Baby light my fire!"
Canon EOS XT
LB2.0 + macro

(slightly out-of-focus on purpose!)

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 04:42AM by Halima67.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by Crabcakes June 27, 2009 03:57PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

I was hoping for "Flambe", but it wasn't on the menu this week...

So....we have "Flare-Up" (St. Louis-style BBQ-pork-steaks on the grill).

Sony a700, LB3G, wide open (f2), iso800, 1/250sec., cropped (28x70...the "Moo-crop").

Thanks...I LOVE FIRE!!!

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2009 04:01PM by Crabcakes.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by agroupuk June 28, 2009 07:33AM reply | quote
posted by agroupuk

Ok,

Everyones a winner! not so many entries for this one.... maybe I picked a bum subject...

Anyway.

It isnt easy judging these things because, at the end of the day, it's my personal preference. Some might not agree and thats fine.

So without further ado.........

In 3rd place is:

"Come on Baby light my fire!"
By Halima67

An excellent shot of a candle - I tried shooting a candle or two and really found it difficult to get the metering right.. Well done! lovely warm colours.

In 2nd place is:

"Phoenix Rising"
By jbrunjes

A great, well focused, sharp subject. Nicely lit and very fiery! The blur at the bottom almost makes it appear to be moving just like a fire would. Really nice pic!

And the winner is:

"I was hoping for "Flambe", but it wasn't on the menu this week... "
By Crabcakes

I know its the obvious fire shot but at the end of the day its a really good one, well cropped and fluid. The blur makes it look liquid like the grill is sliding off the picture. Nicely metered. I do like the crop size - nice to see an unusual one that works well for the content of the pic.

So... there we have it. You are all winners and picking one over the other was very difficult. Thanks for entering. I pass the gauntlet to Crabcakes to start the next one.

Thanks for entering you three!

Cheers!

Edd
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by Crabcakes June 28, 2009 02:47PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thanks agroupuk! I'll see what I can come up with. It may be a minute...still recovering from the weekends events...60+ hours over the last 4 days...did I mention our AC is out?...I think I lost a few brain-cells standing over that grill (it was 95+degreesF here in STL last week).

Regards,

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 02:47PM by Crabcakes.
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by ScottM June 29, 2009 03:00AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Crabby your fire shot is amazing, did you notice the shape and face of an animal in the flames, kind of like a devil dog. Great.
Scott
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by Halima67 June 29, 2009 10:32AM reply | quote
posted by Halima67

Congrats Crabby! Very nice shot!

[elenisworld.blogspot.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by jbrunjes June 29, 2009 11:55AM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Congrats Crabby! Looking forward to your challenge.
Joby
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by Crabcakes June 29, 2009 01:22PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thanks All...Here It Comes.......

Johnny Crabcakes

--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: SPEED CHALLENGE #33 - Fire posted by Mark Wade June 29, 2009 11:19PM reply | quote
posted by Mark Wade

Congrats Crabby! Well done...uh, I mean, nice job.
Agroupuk...the challenge is a good pick. Unfortuantely I was not available to participate....
Thanks!
Mark

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today