Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

1 day ago by Josh-LB

Re: Macro

view post

Like a view camera?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Like a view camera? posted by c.valantine September 26, 2005 01:08PM reply | quote
posted by c.valantine
I am a little confused on the focus capabilities of a lensbaby. I've been excited about this little lens for a while now, and as I was planning to buy one today, I realized that this lens may not quite be what I had hoped it would be.
I want a lens that will give me similar capabilities, of a view camera for my 35mm. I want to be able to change the plane of focus, and because you can tilt the lens in any direction, it seams like that should be the case; however, looking at some of the pictures upclose it looks like there is a natural gradation of blur vinetting around the edges- regardless of how you focus it.
Can I use this lens to create a focal plane perpendicular to the camera, or just move the focus around? In theory, could I get a row of "soda cans" in focus from the left to the right of the image, or a stack from top to bottom, or will the edges always be blurry?

I would appreciate your feedback, This lensbaby would be for my BFA final project/senior show.

-Charlotte
Re: Like a view camera? posted by eHolga September 27, 2005 12:58AM reply | quote
posted by eHolga

Charlotte,

the lensbaby is an artistic tool with a wonderful edge blur that will always be there in some amount. Less with apertures that create a greater depth o' field, more with the apertures wide open.

As far as correcting focal plane distortion, this lens will not do that. In a nutshell the lens will always have the wonderful edge blur, and more distortion the more you bend the lens. It has a small sweet spot of focus that can be moved around within the frame to a certain extent. The more the lens is bent, the more the outside of the sweet spot is distorted and blurred.

Hope this has helped.

Oh yeah, I think that the images from this lens would blow everyone away if you will have time to practice with it. It does take some getting use to.

Shawn any thoughts?

Dennis

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2005 01:02AM by eHolga.
Re: Like a view camera? posted by DavidF September 27, 2005 01:35AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

The LB is hard to categorize. Though some have made comparisions to view cameras and tilt-shift lenses, I'd say the LB is not quite that sophisticated.

Not to say its not great, just not as exacting as a view camera. And it does not have the same abilities to adjust plans of focus--for example, bending the lensbaby can create creative blur in certain parts of your image, but you won't be able to change the actual film or lens plans to adjust for converging parallel lines as you would with a view camera.

If I had to give it a label, I'd call it a cross between a holga and a view camera -- what a beast! Short of buying one, one way to get a feel for it is to view the images posted here.

All the best, David.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2005 01:36AM by DavidF.
Re: Like a view camera? posted by joe r September 27, 2005 01:56AM reply | quote
posted by joe r

Charlotte - Sounds like what you need is a tilt/shift lens. Some lenses just have Shift, but you'll need one with Tilt for the effect you're trying to get. If you are using the Canon EOS system, there are 3 TS-E lenses available - 24mm, 45mm and 90mm. The 45mm and 90mm are sharper than the 24mm. If the price tag is a bit much, many pro camera stores rent these lenses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2005 01:58AM by joe r.
Re: Like a view camera? posted by c.valantine September 27, 2005 03:35AM reply | quote
posted by c.valantine
Thanks everyone,

I now have a better idea of what I would be getting into. I suppose with the 30 day guarentee, I could always try it out, but then I would have to get teh original rather than the 2.0- because by the time the 2.0 arrived, my 30 days would be up...

Once again, thank you all for clarifying for me.

Charlotte
Re: Like a view camera? posted by DavidF September 27, 2005 06:16AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

I don't think your 30 days starts till they send you the camera.

d.

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today