Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

6 hours ago by TG-J

Re: Perth Royal Show

view post

Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer

1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 10, 2009 05:51AM reply | quote
posted by jumpinjimmyjava

Speed Challenge #28 - Any photo captured with a lensbaby and processed with at least one TEXTURE layer added.You can download all kinds of free textures on FLICKR,if you have no texture shots of your own. Les Brumes has all kinds of wonderful FREE textures on FLICKR.
[www.flickr.com]

Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Camera (with LB attached)
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Post-Processing - do whatever you like ( but include at least one TEXTURE layer ) and the judge will decide if it works. This is a must for this challenge and the judging will weighted on the results of the best post processed image and to the extent of the improvement of the original image.
4. Posting - * Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & Lensbaby used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Have FUN!
8. Good luck to everyone. I expect to see a lot of great images with this challenge.

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends-9 pm EDT (Eastern Time) Sunday, May 17th, 2009
* Winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

My posted images, the second processed with a rain drop texture is a sample image only and is not included in this challenge. Good luck to all - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 05:58AM by jumpinjimmyjava.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jbrunjes May 10, 2009 09:19PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

Jimmy,
Do you want 2 photos (before and after) or just the final product?
Joby
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 11, 2009 05:23AM reply | quote

Joseph a before and after if possible but a description of the type of texture layer used would be fine - jimmy

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion #quote The Dalai Lama
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by David Morel May 11, 2009 10:24AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

how about a quick tutorial on using texture layers?

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by maryemccabe May 11, 2009 11:58AM reply | quote
posted by maryemccabe

Guess I'll start.

A square crop of my favorite cactus shot - original,
and then adding one of Les Brumes' textures (021 to be exact), plus an additional Satin layer using CS3. Slight curve tweak.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by ScottM May 11, 2009 01:39PM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

David, texture layering is fairly easy, open your original image and a texture image (which you can download for free from flick'r. Paste the texture image over your original image and adjust size to cover your image. Then in photoshop change the texture layer blending mode to multiply or overlay and adjust opacity if desired. You can erase parts of the texture layer if you want. You can add many layers if you like. Its a bit of trial and error. There are tutorials on flick'r also. Hope Jimmy doesn't mind me posting this.
Scott
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by SKF May 11, 2009 04:15PM reply | quote
posted by SKF

Here,s one I prepared earlier.
1/200th
ISO 400
D300
LB3G with a forgotten disc but quiet wide open I'd guess.

An antiquing texture, followed by a scratch texture plus some other tweaks here or there.

Cheers

steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2009 04:16PM by SKF.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jbrunjes May 11, 2009 09:56PM reply | quote
posted by jbrunjes

1d Mk3
LB 3G
f/2.8 or 4 probably....
ISO 100
1/100

Hard light texture layer of a sound proofing panel shot with a 15 mm fisheye.
The effect reminds me of looking at a pillow. The overexposure of the original is softened by the layer.
Joby
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Ol' Don May 12, 2009 12:13AM reply | quote
posted by Ol' Don

OK I'll try.

Peony

Nikon D80
Original LB with NO aperture ring
ISO 200
1/400 ss

Two texture layers.
One spackle pattern and one concrete wall.

Ol' Don

Life is expensive, but includes a free trip
around the sun!
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by ScottM May 12, 2009 09:42AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

tree daisies I think. Canon 40d composer single glass optic.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 12, 2009 09:47AM reply | quote

That was a super explanation of how to add a texture layer Scott. Thanks so much - jimmy

Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 12, 2009 09:50AM reply | quote

WOW,so many neat texture layered creations. This is great

Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 12, 2009 09:53AM reply | quote

I have many free textures on FLICKR, and a free bird brush too.
[www.flickr.com]

Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by ScottM May 12, 2009 09:58AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Glad you didn't mind me explaining how to do textures Jimmy. This is a great challenge you came up with and hopefully even more people will join in.
Scott
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 12, 2009 10:18AM reply | quote

This challenge is going to be so hard to pick 3 winners Scott! All the entries look just super. I love using layers they make photography so much more interesting - jimmy

Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by ScottM May 12, 2009 11:01AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

I'm with you on that Jimmy. I love adding texture layers and I hope to figure out your amazing technique.
Scott
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Crabcakes May 12, 2009 03:37PM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

Thanks Jimmy!!!

Even if I don't get anything together by Sunday, you've gotten me off my duff to work on an aspect of PP that I've been meaning to get to for quite a while.

Thanks too for the cool flickr links to texture-stuff. I will be having a LOT of fun in the near future...

Here's hopin' I get to it B4 Sunday...we'll see...

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by jumpinjimmyjava May 12, 2009 08:47PM reply | quote

Hey Scott I have no amazing technique. It's luck if a pic turns out! And Crabby,you will be hooked like me on layering once you give it a try. Good luck - jimmy

Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by ScottM May 13, 2009 04:51AM reply | quote
posted by ScottM

Well Jimmy you certainly have a unique style that I admire.
Scott
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by lemurhouse May 13, 2009 07:13AM reply | quote
posted by lemurhouse

apres la guerre

LBO wide open
Canon 10D
ISO 200
1/500
exp comp -1
random textures
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Keithnc May 13, 2009 11:53AM reply | quote
posted by Keithnc

Train wheels - weave texture (Corel paint shop X2)
Nikon D200
3G
I belive the F5.6 disk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 09:50PM by Keithnc.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Günter Zetzsche May 13, 2009 03:11PM reply | quote
posted by Günter Zetzsche

Saxifraga at the railroad

Nikon D200
LB2 F5.6
ISO 100
1/160
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by oliver tudoras May 13, 2009 04:33PM reply | quote
posted by oliver tudoras

genies

main image = Nikon D 70 /The Composer/pinehole
texture = Nikon D 70 /The Muse/single glass /f4

oliver

[olivertudorasphoto.jimdo.com]

"some people make the world special just by being in it "
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by RichB May 14, 2009 10:22AM reply | quote
posted by RichB

Bloodroot. Thanks Jimmy for the suggestion of the free flickr textures. This was a fun exercise!

Original -- Composer with Plastic optic, f/5.6, 1/800 sec, ISO 200.
Texture -- from flickr

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 09:06AM by RichB.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Mark Wade May 14, 2009 02:57PM reply | quote
posted by Mark Wade

Cotton Bed
LB3G - F16 AP 5 sec Polar+NDF
Texture from FLICKR #102

When the cottonwoods begin to shed,
the forest floor is one big bed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 02:59PM by Mark Wade.
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by David Morel May 15, 2009 05:49AM reply | quote
posted by David Morel

Guitar Center
LB3G - f5.6
Texture: texture/008 (from the flickr page you linked to...)

David L. Morel
www.davidmorelphoto.com
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Ol' Don May 15, 2009 05:58AM reply | quote
posted by Ol' Don

OK. I'll try one more. Is that legal????

Holy Joe's Christian Nightclub.

Original LB with NO aperture ring installed.

1/4000 at ISO 200 om a Nikon D80.

Texture applied in second example.

Thanks for looking.

Ol' Don

Life is expensive, but includes a free trip
around the sun!
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Va girl May 15, 2009 10:16PM reply | quote
posted by Va girl

This is a fun challenge... 1st image I think was double glass shot at F2 and then a hand painted texture added to the second.

Pam
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by katznjamn May 16, 2009 12:42AM reply | quote
posted by katznjamn

Now deceased "liberty Theater"..Lensbaby Composer with single glass optic 5.6 aperture..NikonF100 film camera/texture is from a piece of old linen/burlap type fabric..

[dianemartinpeterson.com]
Re: Speed Challenge #28 Any photo processed with a TEXTURE layer posted by Crabcakes May 17, 2009 04:31AM reply | quote
posted by Crabcakes

"Stars In Her Eyes"
Texture: Hubble image of Tarantula Nebula

Texture found here:

[hubblesite.org]

Lots of mind-blowing images here...

Thanks Jimmy for getting me off my duff...

(...and, yes, I now have ANOTHER addiction...)

Johnny Crabcakes

"Failure is the key to success;
Each mistake teaches us something."
--Morihei Ueshiba
1 2

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today