Lensbaby Studio Forums

Latest Post

9 hours ago by CatGargoyle

Re: 2E245

view post

Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer?

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by WhereRu September 20, 2005 03:49AM reply | quote
posted by WhereRu

Folks, I just switched to a Powermac G5 after 20+ years of PC. I purchased Adobe CS2 for my Mac but I really miss having Virtual Photographer for B&W work. Any suggestions for a MAC equivalent of VP? The only thing I can come up with is running Win XP Pro in Virtual PC and running CS2 (win) within that. But that is really overkill. Any ideas? Thanks.

Lensbaby 2.0, Nikons: D200, D70s, D100
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by eHolga September 20, 2005 03:57AM reply | quote
posted by eHolga

have you tried the conversion in the CS2 RAW converter? You can tweak it pretty good in the adjustments tab,desature all the way and then tweak it further in the curves tab. Don't forget to move all the sliders around to include the temp and tint sliders for a little more variation.

Congrats on the switch! I did the opposite 3 years ago when I became a full-time guvahment photog type and left my civvy job. I miss my MAC! They are so superior to a PC! but that is for a different forum...

I have made due with my PeeCee. I made the switch at home as well due to the software availability through work, as I do a bulk of my post processing at home.

Dennis

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2005 05:08AM by eHolga.
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by DavidF September 20, 2005 04:28AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

I don't know if any substitue for VP, at least that's free.

You might check out filter sets from Nik and AutoFX, but they are pricey and not all that good in my opinion. Also, not sure if they are for Mac. The least pricey B/W conversion plugin that I've found is at Fred Miranda web site: [www.fredmiranda.com]. Another one I've heard recommended is Power Retouch: [powerretouche.com]. He has one for B/W conversion and another for toning. A bit more cost, but looks like lots of contol and options.

You can also look on the Adobe web site where people share gradients and actions they've created for specific effects. Also see the list of third party plugins on adobe web site at [www.adobe.com]

Sorry for your loss of VP. :>(

David.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2005 04:35AM by DavidF.
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by WhereRu September 20, 2005 04:58AM reply | quote
posted by WhereRu

Thanks Dennis and David, great resources! Exactly what I needed.

Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by DavidF September 20, 2005 05:47AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

How can a Mac ever be superior to PC if it can't run Virtual Photographer. Ha!

David.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2005 05:47AM by DavidF.
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by WhereRu September 20, 2005 11:00AM reply | quote
posted by WhereRu

Hey this is a real dream machine, I could not be happier. It's a dual processor 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gigs of storage. Oh yeah!

Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by WhereRu September 20, 2005 11:39AM reply | quote
posted by WhereRu

Thanks for the help, I decided to go with the Fred Miranda plug in. It seemed to offer the widest variety of options for me. Here is a sample picture of my better half:

Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by blam September 20, 2005 01:48PM reply | quote
posted by blam

Marty,

I'm totally jealous. I'm a Mac-lifer, but don't have quite the juiced up machine you just got. You'll love it. I'm convinced the world would be a happier place if we all had Macs.

To your question, I use the Fred Miranda BW filter that David mentioned. It's easy to use and has quite a few options (the duotones and tritones are especially nice). It also has color filters, grain and dynamic range settings. The downside is that you can only use it on a flattened photoshop file. That's a bummer if you want to go back and tweak. Felix told me about NIK Color Effects which he uses on his outstanding BW and toned pics. I downloaded a "tryout version" but I haven't had much of a chance to play. It has a gazillion options. I also like using the PS Channel Mixer. Craig told me about the 60/40 ratio, and it works really well (60 red / 40 green / 0 blue for all channels). You can do this as a separate layer, and then dial back in a little color if you like. If you knew all this already, sorry to go on and on.

Welcome to Mac-land. It's a wonderful community and I don't think you'll ever go back.

4Dennis - I feel your pain. I'll send some good Mac Karma government way, and hope for your sake they switch to Mac someday (at least for the photo and creative guys like you).

[www.flickr.com]
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by floatingcreeper September 21, 2005 12:42AM reply | quote
posted by floatingcreeper
*sob* *sob* .. MACs are very costly in India :(( everytime i pass the apple shop, i am all *sigh*s ...

dual g5, 4gb, 500gb .. what else in the hell does one need in life .. my god, WRU!

*sigh*
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by WhereRu September 21, 2005 04:27AM reply | quote
posted by WhereRu

Ummm... next I will get a 23" Apple Cinema Display, but not for a few months.

Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by GadgetGirl October 07, 2005 11:16PM reply | quote
posted by GadgetGirl
Ok, first, gotta say, JEALOUS of your Powermac! Sounds awesome! I am waiting (im)patiently for the G5 Powerbook!

Now, I am so far a digital girl and haven't been into film photography. However, I did run across a pretty cool PSCS tutorial for a cool method of b&w conversion. Here is the link [www.raymondshay.com] It is favorite method as it leaves you lots of options.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Now, if only the USPS could get my new lensbaby 2.0 here faster!!! It's on its way!

P.S. I just got a HP 23" display. It's awesome - what a difference it makes for PS work. Watch those new Apples, however. Would have gotten one, but they are flawed on the edges.... Not cool.

Paula

<!-- Start of Flickr Badge -->
<style type="text/css">
.zg_div {margin:0px 5px 5px 0px; width:117px;}
.zg_div_inner {border: solid 1px #000000; background-color:#330099; color:#666666; text-align:center; font-family:arial, helvetica; font-size:11px;}
.zg_div a, .zg_div a:hover, .zg_div a:visited {color:#FFFFFF; background:inherit !important; text-decoration:none !important;}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
zg_insert_badge = function() {
var zg_bg_color = '330099';
var zgi_url = 'http://www.flickr.com/apps/badge/badge_iframe.gne?zg_bg_color='+zg_bg_color+'&zg_person_id=78359376%40N00';
document.write('<iframe style="background-color:#'+zg_bg_color+'; border-color:#'+zg_bg_color+'; border:none;" width="113" height="151" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="'+zgi_url+'" title="Flickr Badge"></iframe>');
if (document.getElementById) document.write('<div id="zg_whatlink"><a href="[www.flickr.com]; style="color:#FFFFFF;" onclick="zg_toggleWhat(); return false;">what is this?<\/a><\/div>');
}
zg_toggleWhat = function() {
document.getElementById('zg_whatdiv').style.display = (document.getElementById('zg_whatdiv').style.display != 'none') ? 'none' : 'block';
document.getElementById('zg_whatlink').style.display = (document.getElementById('zg_whatdiv').style.display != 'none') ? 'none' : 'block';
return false;
}
</script>
<div class="zg_div"><div class="zg_div_inner"><a href="[www.flickr.com">www.<strong] style="color:#3993ff">flick<span style="color:#ff1c92">r</span></strong>.com</a><br>
<script type="text/javascript">zg_insert_badge();</script>
<div id="zg_whatdiv">This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from <a href="[www.flickr.com] (Gadget Girl)</a>. Make your own badge <a href="[www.flickr.com];
<script type="text/javascript">if (document.getElementById) document.getElementById('zg_whatdiv').style.display = 'none';</script>
</div>
</div>
<!-- End of Flickr Badge -->
Re: Switched to MAC - Virtual Photographer? posted by alfredr October 10, 2005 08:24PM reply | quote
posted by alfredr
Macs are really really nice (I don't have such a setup like you, but I just 'love' my Powerbook),

There are ton's of actions an tutorials you can use in Photoshop, but VP is second to none for creating a dramatic impact quickly. I know they once investigated to create a Mac version too, but I think it's more than a year ago they replied this to me, I wonder what ever happend with these plans...

Alfred
[www.pixelseverywhere.com]

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today