Latest Post

14 minutes ago by TG-J

Re: Perth Royal Show

view post

Long Exposures explained

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Long Exposures explained posted by Bill December 16, 2004 01:51PM reply | quote
posted by

If you don't want to re-read the whole thread I started last week, here is my reply to doing long exposures. Cut and paste the link provided at the end of this message to make my thread make sense..Bill

Sorry for the delay in my posting. I have attached a folder of pix again. The last image shows the hosing I use for long expoures ie: not hand held.
I actually have five sections of hosing I use.
As I stated before. I was bored and I wanted to take some long exposure images. In the centre of the three hosing pieces you will notice the hose is split down the middle, this allows the hosing to snap over the barrel of the Lens Baby . One end fits beside your camera body. The angled end gives you the yaw and pitch you want. Rotating the hose lets you put the sweet spot where you want it.
To use the hosing, I hand hold my camera and determine the best length of hosing by composition, snap on a hose piece, put the camera on a tripod close to where I had composed the image and off I go. This allow me to drag the shutter, I will post more image w/ this technique...Bill

Sorry for the delay in my posting. I have attached a folder of pix again. The last image shows the hosing I use for long expoures ie: not hand held.
I actually have five sections of hosing I use.
As I stated before. I was bored and I wanted to take some long exposure images. In the centre of the three hosing pieces you will notice the hose is split down the middle, this allows the hosing to snap over the barrel of the Lens Baby . One end fits beside your camera body. The angled end gives you the yaw and pitch you want. Rotating the hose lets you put the sweet spot where you want it.
To use the hosing, I hand hold my camera and determine the best length of hosing by composition, snap on a hose piece, put the camera on a tripod close to where I had composed the image and off I go. This allow me to drag the shutter, I will post more image w/ this technique...Bill

[www.billmarshphotography.com]
Re: Long Exposures explained posted by MarcoF December 16, 2004 03:41PM reply | quote
posted by MarcoF

So, you focus by moving the camera, not the lens, if I understand correctly? The hosing moves the sweet spot, once focussed, right?

Conceptual Art is overrated

[www.marcof.net]
Re: Long Exposures explained posted by Bill December 16, 2004 07:32PM reply | quote
posted by
Yes and no.
I think some people are over thinking this.
Think of it is someone is over your shoulder as you are going to take an image, but before your shoot your friend slides on one of the hose pieces to the exact position you have the lens, this would give you the same composition you have and have your hands free. All the hosing does is hold the lens to the composition you like.
The possibilities with blurred water on streams and dragging tungsten light to warm an image are endless...Bill

Re: Long Exposures explained posted by DavidF December 17, 2004 12:19AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

I sort of see how this works (I think), but since for focusing you need to move the LB in and out, won't having a fixed lenght of hose limit where your field (distance from camera) of focus is. For example, I have a one of these sections of hose attached, but can now only focus on something 3.45 feet away -- where something that's 4 feet away is out of focus.

Regards, David
Re: Long Exposures explained posted by DavidF December 17, 2004 12:26AM reply | quote
posted by DavidF

Another question: you're talking about long exposures, what are some of the shutter speeds? 1/10 sec, 1 sec, 3 sec, etc?

david
Re: Long Exposures explained posted by jparuolo December 30, 2004 05:32AM reply | quote
posted by
Bill - Where did you purchase the plastic tubing you used? I looked in Home Depot but couldn't find any.

Thanks - Joe
Re: Long Exposures explained posted by Bill January 02, 2005 09:47AM reply | quote
posted by
Joe, sorry it has taken so long to reply. I was away for the holidays.
The tubing I use for long exposure can be purchased at Home Depot, at least in my area. The tubing is used for sump pumps and other house hold usages. I have been told you can also use large clear aquarium tubing.
I hope this helps...Bill

Newer Topic | Older Topic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Lensbaby Newsletter - Signup Today